1290 SA Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by NextHorizon, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Mister B 1200

Mister B 1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a few early thoughts , others have really captured thoughts about the the engine and suspension and joy of the SA and I totally agree.. I probably fall somewhat outside the usual KTM rider parameters , but this is my fourth one along with many other bikes over the last 60 years., I just love riding, from pootling along enjoying the scenary to a quick blast .!!!! I am a short 68" and 31" leg ,around 200lbs,, I find the bike no more heavy than any other (GS, GSA, ZZR 1100, Blackbird,Crosstourer) and 'lighter' than most on the road . It's a lovely balanced easy ride for me. My short legs allow a good 'balls of the foot' contact with the ground ,its enough for me ,one,as always, has just got to take care!!!!!The screen is in a lowish position (about 3/4" up) and gives me enough protection to enjoy my Shark Evoline either open faced or closed,the seat is set 'low' and the riding position is great. I have only used the Street and Comfort settings and have no concerns.. The first 4galls (UK) has given me almost 200 miles ,showing 48 mpg .not bad for a good 'running in' mix of narrow hill roads ,other main roads and a short motorway section.. The SA makes easy and rapid progress in all areas..I see people comparing it to a 1190, and am a little surprised ...KTM don't, just check out all their publicity. Its an SA , it has its own identity and position in the market , but make no mistake it does still have the KTM soul, just crack the throttle open at 2500rpm and just like our Belgium and other owners whoop and laugh :D:D at the result..
    So there must be a downside-- yes, its addictive and you won't want to stop riding it.......:D:D:D:clap:clap
  2. SirToU

SirToU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Mister B.... I hope to be standing where you are soon.......
  3. digitalmoto

digitalmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What settings are you running? 1 up / Sport?

4. digitalmoto

digitalmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mitch said early May is the latest info from KTM. He said they are getting three in the first allocation, with my deposit all are spoken for. He expects to get more but they will be more ad-hoc as opposed to a fixed allocation. I need either early May or late May. My wife would prefer late May. We've got a busy mid-month schedule.

5. digitalmoto

digitalmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife can be a little weird in her preferences. :deal

She used to ride but after breaking her scaphoid twice in crashes, she decided she didn't want to keep her own bike. And yet, she has been known to ride my SuperDuke. Generally speaking she hates to ride pillion. If she is going to ride she wants to be on her own bike. Otherwise, she doesn't care if she ever gets on a bike.

When I went to Inuvik on my Super Tenere, she flew into Fairbanks and rode pillion back to Portland. 3,600 miles. She also did a few weekend rides on the back of my FJR. Both bikes had top cases with back pads. The one and only time she road on the back of my 990 SuperDuke, she hated it. It rattled her teeth.

I had the full kit of Touratech Zega Pros on the Super Tenere. Knowing she would be on the back of the Super Tenere for at least 1,000 miles, I customized the top case mount to improve the angle. The stock angle keeps the plane of the side cases which actually tilts the case forward. I adjusted the bracket and changed out the spacers so the case was level with the ground. I bought some kayak foam and fashioned straps to create a removable back pad. She loved it. It was thick enough help with the edges on the case while being thin enough to not shove her into my back.

My wife has already declared that she wants to come with me for one of my late summer group rides up to Canada. I want her to be comfortable. I know that she prefers having back support. So... The Super Adventure is the obvious choice.
  6. mechcanico

mechcanico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mr b 1200 ...Rocket centre by any chance ?

Did 210 miles on mine today all over North Yorkshire moors , it did 47 mpg average , ride mode on street , damping on street I find is the best for the back lanes . The engines fantastic , it has power at all revs .
    What could be improved on is the seat , you go get numb arse after a few hours I had 30 mins on my mates 2014 Gs 1200 and the seat on that ( standard ) is so comfortable , it's like gel filled or something , he said the SA seat is like sitting on a book .
    The gs was a comfortable ride and an easy bike to get along with , where as the SA has a madness about it , it will ride slowly no problem but it can be a complete hooligan bike also , you still get that feeling of the 'ready to race ' is in its make up, I will look into whether you can get a gel insert fitted into the seat , I know it may upset the heating of the seat but I would rather have it comfortable
  7. Mister B 1200

Mister B 1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quite correct Mechanico ,and very happy with their service ,where is yours from? . Funnily enough I was also in N yorks today -Hawes ,Buttertubs Pass and onto Tan Hill befor cutting onto the A66 ,Kendal and home.. Horrid fog here on the coast and 6c only!!.... Glad someone else understannds taht the SA has its own character whilst still being a true ( Top:D) member of the KTM family. A real wolf in sheeps clothing !!!!!:clap I like it that way..... Regarding the seat , your comments prove how hard it is to please (or fit) everyone..The seat is good for me and I think that it will get even better aftyer a break in period . I've had 4 seats modded with gel and none were improved . Possably at my age the a**e gets less sensative !!!! That includes my ex 2011 GS and my mates '14 WC. GSA. I agree they are excellent bikes in many ways but the wolf is staying in my garage....:clap
  8. dbltrbl236

dbltrbl236 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like wise am one of the lucky first three ,third actually but I'm really hoping for April versus May arrival date. My dl1000 has over 91000 miles on it and I'm very ready for a new ride.
  9. mechcanico

mechcanico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine come from Colwyn Bay motorcycles , Rocket Center couldnt get me one till May or June .
  10. SirToU

SirToU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mechanico and Mister B.... I am so sO SO Jealous......

I have to wait til June... And to hear you boys having so much fun and enjoying the ride in this neck of the woods ... Well, what can I say.

Hopefully meet up with you guys soon or at least after I collect mine.... Perhaps meet up at the Rocket Centre someday....

Neil
  11. mehulpatel

mehulpatel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes 1 up and on street haven't tried sport yet as the motorcycles done only 200 km will try it on sport on my long ride this weekend

12. mechcanico

mechcanico Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. crouchntwist

crouchntwist Hair by Shoei

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post DigitalMoto,
    the angle of the top box was the problem for my wife on the BMW, it dug into her back, so back to the shop it went. I have fitted the Powerparts rear plate and 38 litre softbag, to the SA, as well as the PP tankbag, until I make a decision on luggage.

Getting used to swapping modes now, really a marked difference in settings, particularly off-road, and did a section of sport,sport with TC off...., :eek1unbelievable !!! The electronic control is masterful at taming the beast. I also tried the brake force distribution technology out, grabbing a handful of front in a corner, couldn't get it to stand up under braking and it just held the line.
    Amazing. :wink:

Got past the magic 1000, but due to other commitments, I can't get bike to the dealer for another two weeks.. ARRGH..
    Work getting in the way of riding ... Again ..

Crouch.
  14. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Setting off from Athens

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=56DFE00AF994A66F&resid=56dfe00af994a66f%2115090&authkey=AE8BB5yNWXY2-04" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=56DFE00AF994A66F&resid=56dfe00af994a66f%2115091&authkey=AD0xdexO5iXHfxo" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Quick stop near Piraus

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=56DFE00AF994A66F&resid=56dfe00af994a66f%2115093&authkey=AHwVMQqpCyHHUCU" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=56DFE00AF994A66F&resid=56dfe00af994a66f%2115096&authkey=AO-L8iHlGHGTMZM" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
  15. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    Overnight Stop at the Lefkas Hotel

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=56DFE00AF994A66F&resid=56dfe00af994a66f%2115100&authkey=ABwA9ID-GCA3AOA" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=56DFE00AF994A66F&resid=56dfe00af994a66f%2115101&authkey=AGBgFs10riOsTbk" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Superb ride from Lefkada to Igoumenitsa (video upload later perhaps)
    Ferry to Corfu

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=56DFE00AF994A66F&resid=56dfe00af994a66f%2115104&authkey=ADHEpYds8klcp7E" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=56DFE00AF994A66F&resid=56dfe00af994a66f%2115107&authkey=AH_iX5QVlm4_5Uc" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
  16. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    It's not just good ... it's absolutely amazing and I've had the best ride of my life between Athens and Corfu (650 km) at average speed of 105 kph, returning 42.4 mpg. It's like another class compared with my 1190R. The engine is smooth, predictable and powerful. It runs cool unlike my 1190R. The fueling is perfect, never misses a beat. The exhaust note is deep and throaty. I love the dynamic suspension. The bike does not dive when braking and does not go light on the front when accelerating. It corners like a top race bike.

Other changes/ differences from the 1190R:

• With its 30 liter tank, the range is over 350 km.
    • The silencer guard covers the pipe all the way to the cat, preventing melted boots like on the 1190R.
    • The windshield is perfect, no turbulence, it is a new design.
    • The cornering lights are a nice gimmick, but I'd prefer a brighter dipped beam.
    • The optional hill hold control is very useful, works well.
    • The cruise control works well. I only used it on motorways. No use at all on twisty roads.
    • The side-stand is more robust and at a safer angle than the 1190R.
    • The standard seats are not as comfortable as the PowerParts Ergo Seats.
    • It's no heavier than the 1190R with same fuel and accessories. Quoted weight is with 9 Kg extra fuel.
    • There is a new "wind tunnel" to cool the rear cylinder.
    • The rear header is thermally wrapped with a metal cover. It's so cool you can touch it :-)
    • The integrated alarm flashes a light on the main console.
  17. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob, thanks for the feedback and great pictures. How does the bike compare with your previous bikes?
  18. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    Sounds like someone is starting to test the limits! How scary is it with tc off in sport mode?:lol3
  19. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    My other 'bikes all had a purpose at the time I bought them, the RD250 being the one I learned on and crashed the most. The nicest bike for touring prior to the 1290 SA was the Pan European ST1300 but that had some issues including instability at speed and poor handling when cornering. The nicest all-round commuting 'bike I owned was the Suzuki VStrom 650. And I think the reason I liked the VStrom 650 so much is that it was 100% reliable, it never let me down.

Compared with all those, the 1290 SA is now my favorite for 70% on road and 30% unpaved road (hard gravel). It would not be my choice for mainly off-road or for soft surfaces. If I was riding in the dirt I'd want a dedicated and lightweight 'bike that I can lift easily. The 1290 SA is too heavy for me to lift if I drop it (I have a broken back). The 1190R was also too heavy for me to lift if dropped, but I never dropped it. I rode some off-road trails on the 1190R and will continue to do so on the 1290 SA, but only on hard gravel.

My 1190R was the least favorite of all previously owned 'bikes. It let me down when I was thousands of miles from home on 5 occasions. It was unreliable and overheated a lot. Sorry if that upsets other 1190R owners. What else can I say? Maybe my particular 1190R was a one-off runt of the litter?
  20. Korndogg

Korndogg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to ask. Can you briefly mention what the 5 let-downs were? Guess it didn't scare you away from KTM too bad!