CCM 450 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ktmmitch, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We saw the first prototype from CCM Motorcycles of their new 450cc Adventure bike today,at the NEC in Birmingham.
    It will use the BMW-supplied powerplant,fuel injection & air filter assembly in their own uniquely designed forged aluminium frame.
    The main rear moulded fuel tank,and the front left side moulded fuel tanks will hold 17 litres,whilst the dummy right side tank contains the air filter,for easy access.
    Suspension will be 48mm forks,with linkage rear suspension,with novel electronic preload adjustment,to change settings from the switch visible in front of the bars.
    This can allow adjustment for luggage weight & riding conditions,on the move.
    We,at Rally-Raid Products,have been involved with this project for the last 12 months,making development parts,and are pleased to see the first show bike.
    Expected production of a trail/supermoto & adventure versions are autumn 2013.
    They already have a test trail version being ridden,with favourable results.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for teasing us with (yet another) a cool bike we won't see on our shores.:cry What is the CCM/Kymco connection?:ear
  3. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think,after talking with CCM that in fact,the US is on their target list,it used to be their main export market with their old BSA based scramblers in 70's
    Kymco manufacture the 450 engine for BMW,always have done.They also make their other 650 single.
  4. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Very interesting looking bike...if they need a real world tester let them know I'll put one through its paces for them.:deal
  5. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks most beautiful.

How about a pic of the frame alone? BMW 450cc single - is this an existing motor or something new? Wide ratio 6 speed? Ballpark weight?

Nice job.
  6. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hee hee - I thought these photos would find their way onto here soon enough - looks good John!

As for the engine, presumably it is the G450X engine (looking at the position of the output shaft - concentric with the swing arm pivot)... if so, then the Husky variant would fit in? A few more litres of fuel and... nooooooo, silly idea...

I have to say, the quality of the components looks really good on this pre-production bike, and the frame is very nice as well... plus electronically adjustable suspension too (at this price point) - whoever would have thought it?!

This is surely the '450cc dual-sport adventure bike' the ADV crowd have been crying out [to the Japanese] for?!

Can't wait to see one in the metal!

Jx
    FJ Fun likes this.
  7. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    :d Finally someone's listening... and it's NOT KTM...

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #575757; COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->http://www.facebook.com/john.mitchin...type=1&theater

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A 450cc adventure bike... with mid output/long service intervall powerplant, Fuel injection, novel rear (electronic/hydraulic) suspension pre-load adjuster (on the fly for changing load/track conditions).

CCM eh...? A little boutique manufacturer from the heyday of UK off road motorcycles. From reading your facebook "reveal" John, the project has been done in conjunction with your RallyRaid Products UK (those good folks that brough us the much applauded Rallye Kit for KTM's 690 Enduro R) and you been involved in the CCM/Kymco/BMW sourced project since inception...?

Now I don't believe that Dr John would put his name on a turd... :lol3 so I am giving this one a preliminary thumbs up. :clap:thumb

So maybe it's not a hard core desert racer out of the box... but in the vein of Huskvarna's new Terra 650... It look's like; here is an "adventure" bike off the showroom floor, for the real world user...

Ummm... no weight spec's yet John? :ear (that's the only thing that shocked me about the new Husky Terra :huh), but hey, with that aluminium frame, the G450X based engine... hmmm? Toss those kelvinator boxes off the side and lose the usual 5 kilos of extraneous crap they usually bolt to the rear fender (and a lighter silencer maybe)... I'm guessing (hoping) that (+/- 5kg) of the 140 - 145 kg mark would not be out of the question?

Let the couch quarterbacking begin... :deal:rofl

oh... when can I get a ride? :ear
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  8. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure on the specs yet,they will be announcing that later,the trail version I saw looks nice,very slim without the front tank shrouds,and just an EXC type headlight shroud.
    I have a rear shock being made by the ex-WP tech guys in Holland,at Tractive Suspension,for my KTM 690 Enduro,with their electric/hydraulic preload adjuster,which we hope to test on Tuareg Rally in March in Tunisia.
    I think it is a nice,lightweight bike,and using a common frame/engine base enables them to produce 3 versions quite economically.These small "garagiste" companies are what's needed to get novel products out to market.The big companies have to go through so many meeting and focus groups,by the time they decide what to do,things have moved on.
    It has taken over 12 months for them to get this far,but things are moving along quite nicely now
  9. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks pretty good!
  10. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has the engine been modified to have long service intervals ???

Looks to have built from quality parts, looks good. Rear subframe don't look too strong. I like it, just worried about that engine...

Gasgas had similar 450 couple of years ago, not sure if it ever went into production.
  11. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    very nice!

perfect adv market...need to sell worldwide

:D
  12. Remarksman

Remarksman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm ready to buy one in the U.S. -- bring it over! :tb :tb :tb
  13. RyanR

RyanR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they have managed to include a wider ratio gearset than the standard G450x. That really limits/kills it's adventure chops right out of the gate if not.
  14. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    European riding areas are so much smaller than our territory here in the USA. Manufacturers need to think more like "Africa" and "Asia". I'm sorry, but a narrow 5-speed transmission is DEAD-ON-ARRIVAL here.

The TE449-511 transmissions are the best (worst?) example of narrow motorcross racing transmissions in bikes that are mostly used for trail / enduro / dual sport riding. We know that a wide-ratio transmission can be built. When I see the TE-610 and TE-630 and WR-250R/X and even the XT-225 - which are all now years old - I just can't understand why major manufacturers continue to build narrow-ratio MX transmissions for mixed enduro / dual sport / adventure applications. Race bike, yes; these applications, no. Even when the higher-torque 650 thumpers can pull highway speeds with 5 gears, a properly spaced 6-speed is better for these applications.

Stop already and get a clue. Don't tell me that the 6th gear makes them all too narrow (e.g. fragile) in the gear box. Don't make excuses. Just build it.
  15. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it but doubt we will see it. never did see the gasgas version...
  16. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like it.
  17. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The Kymco G450X engine only holds about 1 litre of oil in stock form. Will this make any provisions for a larger capacity or will 10 hour oil changes still be needed?
  18. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please Sir, could I have one of those with the 650 engine :D
  19. avgas

avgas amateur

Oddometer:
    Somebody take my money already!

Without specs or reviews it's hard to say just how good this'll be, but it sure looks like what I want.
  20. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lovely bike and ready to sell, by late Summer 2013