2013 R1200GS Turn Signals

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by taoman, Oct 3, 2012.

1. taoman

taoman Taoman

Oddometer:
    Ok, I have a confession to make. I bought a new 2012 R1200GSA a few months ago. That's not the confession. The confession is that I HATE the new damn turn signals (the switchgear currently used on the RT's) so much that it was a big factor in why I bought a 2012 instead of waiting for the "new and improved" 2013 GS. I figured BMW would "improve" the new 2013 GS with these damn turn signals and I HATE them. Did I mention that I HATE them? What is YOUR opinion?
  2. jfslater98

jfslater98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With you 100% on that. Just posted my opinion of the new switch gear in the 2013 thread fest. Proof that just because 95% of the public does something, doesn't mean it's correct.
  3. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Moving to the BMW was a bit odd. Even after getting used to the turn signals the horn for some reason was still a WTF to me. That being said, going back to the single switch was a bit confusing for a bit. Either works for me.
  4. Z50Pilot

Z50Pilot Sparky

Oddometer:
    I have no problem with the turn signals, but I hate the horn. I have over 70K on GS's and still hit the left turn signal when I go for the horn (try riding in the DC/Baltimore area and not use your horn). I have rented Harley's and have not had a problem with thier horn's and they have the trun signals on the left and right sides.

For me, if going to a Japanese style trun signal gets a normal horn button I'm OK with that.
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    We've had recurring "I hate the BMW 3 switches for turn signals" threads.. you just can't please everyone and the moto press whined incessantly about the BMW layout.

I preferred the 2 paddles to the "traditional" and now bmw adopted system. But... why oh why did they need a separate cancel switch? Harley uses the same concept as the BMW turn signal paddles, but to cancel the signal, you just push the same turn signal button again. Very simple, and I've never heard any moto journo's complain about that setup.

Btw, with the new setup, unless you have very big hands, you need to have your left hand on the edge of the rotary controller in order to reach the horn button urgently. On the K16, my thumb wasn't long enough to reach the horn button - because the rotary controller is in the way - unless I had my hand right up against rotary dial. My glove size is 9.

Read the love / hate here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800923
  6. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    Pushing the paddle again wouldn't work on my bike as mine has auto cancel after a certain distance of riding so sometimes I want to keep them on by hitting them again before they self cancel.
  7. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod

I like the switch set up.

I never liked the three position switch because to cancel the signal light was a PIA trying to get the switch back in the middle (off position).
  8. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    I never turn signals (I live in Fl) or the horn (to busy dodging yankee's and blue hairs)... :eek1
  9. webwalker

webwalker Monitor monitor

Oddometer:
    Having learned to ride and owned Japanese bikes much of my early life, I prefer the single switch. Even my 1982 RS has one, and jumping off of the 2010 GS and onto the RS can require my brain to rewire itself. My thought is, why three separate switches to perform one function?

IMHO to build a successful single switch it needs to incorporate the cancel function, return to center automatically, be easily "thumb-able", and have good feel so you can identify operation through touch. Without any single one of these features it's a failure.

Oh yeah - the horn button on the GS truly sucks.
  10. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I have one of each, so switching from bike to bike is confusing. Don't mind either of them though. We could be living in Iraq and not certain when we're going to blow up at the supermarket. That would bother me.

I hover my thumb over the horn button in heavy traffic as there is always, and I mean always an idiot cager who turns into me as they text and put on their eyeliner. I'd love to have a Stebel but the reviews are just too crappy re. reliability.
  11. Haroon

Haroon RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer:

Absolutely agree with this GB. Back in 2010 when I first rode the new R1200RT and more recently the K1600GTL, with a heavy gloves that controller ring was a major obstacle to reach the turn signal switch

Bavarian wisdom I guess.....