Tires: 160/60ZR17 on an R1150RT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MotorcycleWriter, Apr 30, 2013.

1. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    I ordered a tire a year or so ago and it's been in my basement waiting for a chance to meet the road. I guess I didn't check after it arrived but it is a Metzler Roadtec Z6 160/60ZR17. The stock rear tire for an '02 R1150RT is a 170/60ZR17. Guess they sent the wrong one and I didn't check. What are the ramifications of using this rear tire on my RT?

John
  2. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    It's about 3/8'' narrower and 1/4'' lower profile. You should be OK. I would , however look at the date code on the tire to make sure it's not more than 2 or 3 years old.
  3. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The smaller diameter will simulate a shortened up gearing change. You should be able to use 6th gear up in the mountains without lugging it. :D

Also, the load rating on a 160/60 is for a lighter bike than the RT. You will be fine if riding solo, just keep the pressure up a few pounds higher than you would on the 170/60.
  4. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Ehh... I'm not really liking this. The wear on the Z6 isn't that great either, and I still have to buy a front tire. Might as well buy the right tire and sell this one. It is a year and a half old. Bought it a year ago for an 1150R then sold the R.

What would you recommend? I'm not a real aggressive rider but I like to corner and work my way through traffic. Hope to be doing some long distance touring this summer as well - from Alabama to Arizona and back. Might make the trip a few times. Z6 probably isn't the best tire for that anyway. I hear the Metzler E880 is a pretty sweet tire for that. The Avons that came new on the bike when I bought it last year are GONE after 5,000 miles. I'd like to get a bit more out of a tire than that. Or maybe I ride more aggressively than I thought? :D

John
  5. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm liking the Michelin PR3's right now.
  6. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I'd sell the tire.