Android App - Best Biking Roads

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Rabbitson, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Rabbitson

Rabbitson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HTC Hero anybody?
  2. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Here is a map of the current US route coverage offered by this app as of 01/11/2010

[​IMG]

Those of you living in regions with less coverage and have lots of routes to contribute, please contact me.

People seem quite happy with the app so far, so thanks for the support (only a 4% refund rate, which I think is pretty good for the android market)

David
  3. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    I have just added a feature to allow routes that have been incorrectly added to be deleted, if you have made a mistake when adding a route, simply log into the site and view the route, enter your password and you can delete the route with the incorrect details.

Full route edit feature to follow in time.

Hope you find this useful.

David
  4. sassage

sassage Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Any plans for US/metric option?
  5. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    That's a work in progress, update should be available in a few weeks.
  6. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    This app was just declared 'Must have Android App for Bikers' by a Danish Biker magazine!

Very happy with that :1drink
  7. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    What is the coverage like for Canada?
  8. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

At the moment the coverage for Canada could be better but I am working on improving that with the help of of some of the site's Canadian members.

Have a look at the main site www.Bestbikingroads.com if you want to see the exact coverage.

If you are In Canada and would like to add some routes let me know and I can offer you a free copy of the app as an incentive to do so

David
  9. captdirt

captdirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will it work on Android 1.5? Any way to download to a pc? I have an android tablet I would like to try it on that can't access market. Thanks.
  10. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Hi Captdirt,

The minimum version support for this app is Android 1.6

David
  11. EvilPhish

EvilPhish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just bought this!
    Are there any plans to perhaps include Google Latitude functionality in the future?
  12. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Thanks for buying the app, I hope you like it.

Regarding the request, I'm not ruling anything out for an update but at the moment there are a few nice little extras that are going to be put in first

David
  13. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Just added the hd icon for those of you using hd who encountered this issue, should now be resolved

David
  14. FJRick

FJRick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    David,

Thanks for letting me know about the Android app. I checked the website out and downloaded the android app. soon after. It looks very good and I'm sure there will be many more routes listed as more people hear about it and contribute. Thank you for your time and effort to make this available!!! In my view it's much cheaper than road maps and we get to have local people give us their incite to the best roads and routes in their areas. Much easier to find the fun roads on the fly! :clap
  15. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    You're welcome Rick, glad you like it.

All the Best,

David
  16. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

I've just released an update for the Android version of this app which includes the following:
    • <LI itxtvisited="1">Info screen now allows for a preference choice between miles and kilometres for all units. <LI itxtvisited="1">Each route now contains a web link to the web version of the route, allowing the following: <LI itxtvisited="1">GPX format files of each route can be downloaded directly <LI itxtvisited="1">Access to over 2000 route photos of motorcycle routes, added by the community. <LI itxtvisited="1">Share your routes with biker friends who have different devices. <LI itxtvisited="1">On Bike Film Footage of the route (where available)
    • Incorrect routes can be deleted
    All the Best,

David
  17. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    JUST ADDED:
    Each route now returns whether there are photos or on bike films via the link

So this app now gives you have access to:

Over 2300 photos of great motorcycling roads
    Over 100 films of great motorcycling roads.

Enjoy!

David
  18. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installing now, looks good on the site. Loading up the local rides. So does this use the data service all the time, or can it cache maps locally? Service is kinda iffy in the best riding areas of MO. As an amateur android developer, am glad to see another biker interested in developing something useful while on the bike. Now if we can only get a good android bluetooth remote control like the iphone scosche one.
  19. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Hi Oh2RideMore,

Hope you like the app, I've tried to incorporate as many nice features as I can and at the same time keep the price reasonable.

Regarding the required connectivity, when discovering routes, the app needs to have a signal, as it is using the data from BestBikingRoads.com in realtime (hence there is a pretty good base of routes) of course not all areas have routes, but to my knowledge this is the largest bank of routes available anywhere and they are all personally administered by me (bike travel is a labour of love for me). This has the advantage that the app is relatively small on the device and the two way interaction between the Android App (and the iPhone App) as well as the main website give you benefit of updates to route data directly which as the database is expanding rapidly should mean the app only gets better with time (over 13,500 signups, 5400 route reviews and counting).

I am particularly happy with the latest update as it addresses some requests that were asked for by users as well as the simple and cool weblink which easily extends many of the powerful features of the website over to the app without a lot of expensive rework.

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming, you can always email them to me at 'david at bestbikingroads dot com'

Any kind words to any of your contacts or friends to help broaden the reach of the Android App a bit would be much appreciated.

All the Best

David
  20. warp9man

warp9man Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer:

David the app sounds amazing, any plans for BlackBerry?:evil