Trans-Florida GS Rally March 9 -10, 2013

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by kaosrider, Feb 7, 2013.

1. brewmann

brewmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the last one in 2010 on my 525, 2 days 350+ miles of real Florida sand....

And I also got my luggage back. :lol3
  2. JerryIUP

JerryIUP Team Wanker

Oddometer:
    How would Michelin Pilot 2's on an FZ1 handle this route? Are there any bypasses of the deeper sand for the more street oriented bikes? Some of the pics look like hardpack, but I KNOW pics are deceiving. Cheers....................and J Africa FYYCFF!!!
  3. R11STEW

R11STEW ADVrider Wanna-be

Oddometer:
    Jerry, I've done lots of sand on Michelin Pilots (1 and 2) on my r1100s, but the deep stuff will get you in trouble if you aren't carrying sufficient speed.
    What also got me on some of the "off road" sections is the lack of suspension travel and the fact street bikes tend to have low clearance.

Although I haven't seen it, I am sure the route will have many detours, sans cutting through the middle of the Ocala National Forrest. There is lots of pavement in this part of the country.

I say go for it, you get my respect if you take her through some challenging sections. Hell, I've been on my S and watched the big boys eat it on a GS. A skilled rider can do a lot with any machine, and the converse also applies!!:thumb
  4. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    :y0!Poster child for that right here!
  5. JerryIUP

JerryIUP Team Wanker

Oddometer:
    Actually going to meet up with you guys in Cedartown and ride home with J Africa. Work and family obligations have conflicted with the ride. So Michelin Pilots vs sand on another day.
  6. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    Need to change the Wanker logo.

[​IMG]
  7. Milkweed

Milkweed It's not me, it’s the bike.

Oddometer:
    Fleming Island, Florida & Coeur d’Alene, ID
    Sounds like fun. I'm IN. Just found out about this through CADS. Riding a KTM 530 EXC and already have a room booked.
  8. Johno33772

Johno33772 Johnny Africa

Oddometer:
    If I didn't know any better...I would say Jaydee just called Jerry out!!!!
  9. JerryIUP

JerryIUP Team Wanker

Oddometer:
    No ballet this time. That does however look like my dates toes at the end of the evening! Maybe that should be the new Wanker logo. After all, once they have been with an original Wanker their toes will stay on point.

I need to work and will shoot up after that to meet up with you guys Saturday. What time do you think everyone will be rolling in Saturday?
    Cheers.
  10. sfront

sfront Chaos in Motion

Oddometer:
    Maybe you need to take her panty hose off first.........
  11. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are guessing most will be arriving between 5-6pm. Dinner party is planned for 7:00pm. We have arranged with a restaurant located at the end of Ceday Key out over the water. They have a great deal on all you can eat seafood for our gang.

We even sampled the food, this is a small plate compared to the all you can eat plate.

[​IMG]

This is the Restaurant, we have a $16.95 all you can eat seafood. Or if you wish a $1.00 off any other meal on the menu. They even have hamburgers if you wish something simple.

[​IMG]

We will eat upstairs. After dinner we can retire to the ground floor Bar with pool tables and a live band that night.

Starting to shape up nicely. :D
  12. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:

Nice job, Rich! :thumb

Can't wait. :rayof
  13. kaosrider

Oddometer:
    We were working routing today and have some pictures. Very little sand on the half of the State towards Cedar Key :evil

[​IMG]

Many roads that used to be dirt have been paved, but still some good stuff out there.

[​IMG]

For the Rally Game part, we have a number of objectives which will earn you points in your class. This is Archer Museum worth 10 points, you will need to take a picture of your bike.

[​IMG]

Points for a picture of this table at a certain boat ramp.

[​IMG]

More good roads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cedar Key knows we are coming and are ready for us :clap The Beach Front Motel is offering 10 % of to our group, if you are still looking for a room.

[​IMG]

:freaky
  14. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    It's easy to talk shit in on the web.........

:hide

Mounted a 9fiddy luggage rack on the 400 but still have my doubts on it making a 2 day ride. Wrung all the way out spedo said 70 but surrounding traffic sez more like 55 :cry
  15. pmb

pmb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, just thought I'd say hi and mention this looks to be a great time. Is most of the group camping at Cedar Key? Thought I would do that but then saw the Beach Front motel option so I booked a room.

Anyway, I'll be trucking down on Wednesday the sixth and see you guys at the beach on Saturday morning.

Ps... Want to thank Bill for the invite!

Pat
  16. bigjohn66

bigjohn66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two more, me & Keith will be there!
  17. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Hey Pat, the Beach Front motel looks like a decent spot, recently re-opened and the owner Rocky is a hoot, I think Dave and I are booking there.

Here's Pat, he and a buddy are coming down from northern Mass., he don't need no steenkin little bike. :D

[​IMG]

And if something happens to fall off your bike he'll stop and retrieve it for ya! :clap

[​IMG]
  18. kaosrider

Oddometer:
    Sunday will be a long and rewarding day. As mentioned before it is a totally different route than Saturday. It is also longer. It takes you to more Old Florida. Some of these roads were started by the animals, later picked up by the Indians and then by the Spanish. Yes, they are still dirt.

However, knowing that folks will want to be getting home after the big weekend, we wanted to give you some logistical information. So you know the expected timing and such for getting home, here is the location for Sunday's dinner.

http://www.josephsbistroflagler.com/

As part of the game, there is a time limit to complete the route. You must be at Joseph's by 6:00pm on Sunday. In order to accomplish this you may have to break off of the route in order to make it in time for dinner. This is part of the contingency. You get points for riding the different sections, however if your day is becoming too long, you simply head directly to dinner, with the points you have collected.

Again, this a scenic view of Florida. You can travel from Cedar Key to Flagler Beach in less than 3 hours. So it is no mystery that you will not be going in the most direct direction. Remember "its about the ride".

At Joseph's Bisto (which has the best pizza and Chicken Marsala to be found anywhere) we will eat have the closing ceremony so you can be on your way home early Sunday evening. Plan to be one of those scored as a Rally Finisher.

We have also arranged for Day Light Savings to begin on this weekend. So that should help too :D :lol3

PS: about the Food, we are know more for our eating than our riding ...
  19. dirtfarmerrich

dirtfarmerrich Richard

Oddometer:
    This looks like a fun ride , unfortunately I can not make it to Florida till Sunday. I,ll watch for this next year. If anybody makes a GPX file I,d like to down load it. If you see a Husky 510 riding around Daytona during bike week its probably me. Have a great ride !
  20. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Speaking of files, any GPS routes planned or just charts? I know there was talk...