RT vs. GS?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Zeid, Mar 23, 2014.

1. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never have ridden an RT, but have ridden with both GS's and RT's. Seems like before I had my GS I had to work my butt off just to run with my GS buddies. NEVER had to work hard to keep up with an RT. Maybe its the mind set of RT riders versus GS rider. Don't know. IMO, a GS is just so damn easy to run fast in turns. A big plus is that if I ever make a mistake, which I NEVER, EVER do :roflthe GS saves my bacon every time - what a great bike!!!
  2. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have to have balls to push it on the RT. All that plastic is expensive :freaky

It might just be me but I think the RT turns in faster than the GS, the front wheel is smaller. That said the GS turns in easier because the bars are wider providing more leverage.

Being afraid of dropping or touching down any hard parts on the RT has a LOT to do with it.
  3. ncsonderman

ncsonderman Sasquatch in training

Oddometer:
    I've had two RTs now and really enjoyed both. I have taken them both to their handling limits and can say that when ridden smoothly can run with sportbikes in most any stretch of twisty pavement. I knew that I was in trouble though when I'd see the knee pucks of the sportbikers in front of me getting closer to their fairing while I was already dragging my centerstand and fairing. There just isn't any more ground clearance to be had after a certain point, but that point is flat out hauling ass. I have added Ohlins suspension to my current RT and that has given me more ground clearance since it was ride height adjustable.

I would say that most riders will not reach the limits that I have on the RT and probably shouldnt try. It is a very capable machine and when the twisties unwind my riding position is not cramped as it's been on past sportbikes. I would say that most guys would complain more about the short tire life on the RT when the bike is ridden like that. I get only around 3-4K out of a set of PR3s and less from Roadtec Z8s.

Back to the point of the post, the riding comparo...
    I prefer the RT for on road riding. It cuts a clean line through the air and does not suffer from wind blast as much as the GSA. I'm not complaining about the GSA, but when comparing the two, the RT is the clear on road winner. The seat (I have the comfort seat) and ability to adjust the screen on the fly give the RT an advantage. I haven't noticed that my wife is too close on the RT other than a few head butts when slowing. I have done some gravel and dirt roads on the RT and wouldn't say that is it's forte:evil The GSA is a great do it all bike and if I did'nt get to ride them back to back on a regular basis, the GSA would seem more complete.

Having to choose to have only one bike in the garage would be easy for me, the GSA. It'll take you anywhere you'd like to go. I'm fortunate to get to enjoy both.
  4. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few years back a buddy with a 2007 RT and I (2007 12GS) traded bikes for the day. He was looking at getting a GS so this was a good way for him to test one out. My GS with Ohlins would definitely out handle that RT with ESA on almost all of our favorite twisty roads. The only place the RT had an advantage was the high speed sweepers (90+). There the RT’s extra hp and wider tires came into play. Everywhere else the GS just handled better. Too much weight hanging over the front of the RT, and let’s not even get into the first generation ESA. Some of the absolute worst suspension I have ever ridden with. Either a wallowing couch or a stiff harsh ride. Add in the fact that was a 90 degree day and I was absolutely cooking riding that RT. Nope, unless you’re riding in some really cold temps and want the big fairing and heated seat, I’d stick with the GS everytime.

Here's some pics of us that day. I'm on the RT, my buddy is riding my GS and eventually purchased a new 2011 Camhead GS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Loggiebone

Loggiebone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was pondering the RT/GSA situation myself. Had an 04 1150 RT...nice but slow bike. Kinda bulky. Now have an 08GSA...still a little weak but I love it and great 2 up bike...touring or twisties. Probably next year I'll opt for a new WC GSA and have discarded the RT thought. Why...it's still too darn bulky for my taste. And I love the GSA lock to lock turning radius as compared to everything else. It's so easy to deal with slow speed stuff with the GSA.

My current GSA has Ohlins TTX's on it and they are fantastic. No way ESA on a new one. Trying to eliminate some of the electronic gee-gaws that I don't care about! GSA for me instead of RT. But...they are both excellent bikes. Just get the right tool for your job!
  6. AzGSA75

AzGSA75 Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Of all the bikes I’ve owned I like the GSA best. It’s amazing how many things it can do well. It not a dirt bike and isn’t designed to be, but it handles non-paved roads with confidence. On the street it’s a dream to drive, so comfortable and you can really throw it into corners.

As far as wind protection goes, it’s not the RT, but with the right windscreen it can be acceptable. And the GSA is perfect for tall riders. I’m 6’2” with 36” legs and I ridden across the U.S. and back, 12 hours a day and had no complaints of discomfort. Of course, having a custom seat doesn’t hurt either. Had I road my ST1300 that far, my knees would be killing me after 3 hours. Too, the heat factor is so much better on the GSA, because it’s not trapped behind all that plastic. In Arizona, you want to stay as cool as possible. Riding my ST in the winter here is great, but in the summer it’s like having a convection oven between you legs, it’s brutal. The RT is pretty much the same in that respect.

I have to agree with Zeid about the sand, I hate sand on the GSA, so I just stay away from it as best I can. With a full tank of gas, it’s a bugger to hold up, even in light sand. Honestly, I doubt any tire is going to make that much of a difference.

The tires that work best for me so far are Heidenau K60’s. They last much longer than other tires and have pretty good grip, even in the rain. The front is a little buzzy on the slab, but not intolerable. Anyway, this is just my two cents worth.
  7. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    owned a dohc RT, GS, and GSW.....i'm with the others who think the RT is the better road going bike, it isn't as nimble and flickable per se, but it's so damn good on the open road. as far as my ergos, the RT was the clear winner in the air management department as well. if i was forced to choose between the two, the GS would be my choice as the better all around bike. i don't know how the taller folks deal with the more cramped quarters of the RT, the leg room isn't there.

best success,
  8. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  9. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    The RT had better be a better road bike, as thats what its Designed for. Doesnt mean it handles better. And "handling" can mean a lot of different things to different people. If I were riding more slab than backroads, the RT would be the first pick, no question. Apples and oranges for sure. Also, I'd like to hear anyone's input on the RT vs the FJR1300 Yamaha....especially the new version of each....not to steal the thread, but I think it would help the OP as well.
  10. JohnfromJersey

JohnfromJersey Like a New Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd give this a bump. While discussing the next few road rides for 2023 and 2024 this comparison came up. Trip distances are 5k+ miles and 3+ weeks duration. Thanks.
  11. OTR/L

OTR/L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The GS would be best suited if the road turns to gravel and you don’t want to turn around.

They are both wonderful motorcycles and you are splitting hairs even if you only ride tarmac 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dirty_t likes this.
  12. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    What type of road?

If asphalt then either will do fine, w nod to RT if bad weather is in the forecast...

If gravel or gnarlier off-road sections are part of the trip, then nod to GS or GSA...
  13. JohnfromJersey

JohnfromJersey Like a New Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    All pavement. Nothing unpaved. Mostly in the Atlantic provinces of Canada where it rains... alot. Thx.
  14. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ Then RT should fit that duty a-ok...

It should be more affordable than GSA which would be the alternative...
  15. Rapala50

Rapala50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a lucky guy, I have a 2008 RT and a 2021 GSA, my RT has been with me for 12 years and is my every day commuter, love the bike. My GSA is my fun bike, it takes me places that the RT really can't. As far as two up riding my RT gets the thumbs up. I've tried the GSA once with the wife and she really didn't care for it, the RT on the other hand has always had her interest. We've done a lot of travel on that. With having both experience's and to say which bike I would prefer, I would have to say my GSA is my choice if only to have one ( that bike makes me grin the most ), but the RT isn't going any where either...lol
  16. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just posted this in the another thread...

I own a 1250 GS (with the taller suspension), but I always wanted a bit more time on an RT to really be sure I bought the better touring bike (for me).

So two weeks ago I rented a 1200RT and rode it from Miami to Key West and back. I swear I wasn't a half an hour down the road before I was wishing for the 1200 GS I could have rented. I'm 6'3" and I just didn't like the seating position of the RT at all.

The power windshield was nice, but it blocked so much wind that I thought I was going to die of heat stroke, so it spent the entire trip in the lowest position.

My wife, who rode the whole way as a passenger, said it was a bit easier to get on the RT, but liked the GS because she had a better view.
  17. Eury

Eury Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went to the BMW demo event at my local dealer on Friday, and the first thing I rode was an R1250RT (not counting my 1250GSA I rode in on). It was a nice bike, but I was disappointed. My bike with the medium Stream windshield has probably 90% of the wind protection of the RT, so there wasn't a big difference there, and the RT felt cramped with my knees bent at a sharper angle than my GSA. Maybe the seat was in a low position or something, but it wasn't something I'd be comfortable on for hours at a time. The part that really knocked it out of consideration for me was that it didn't tip into and corner as well as my bike, and didn't feel much different in a straight line at 60mph than my GSA.

Basically, the 1250RT didn't do anything better than my 1250GSA, but did a bunch of stuff worse. Too bad, I was considering adding one to the garage for 2 up riding. Now, the K1600 is a different story. That thing was awesome. Comfy, stable, cornering wasn't as good as my GSA, but most other things would be better with my wife on the back. I may end up buying one of those.
    M33 likes this.
  18. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and I currently have a K1600GT and am looking at an R1200GSA as a replacement, largely because of the angle my knee/legs are on the 1600. Love the bike, like the upper body position, but am getting to where after a 3-hour ride my legs don't respond to their position on the bike like they used to. I do have Ilium highway pegs (they came with the bike), but i don't like riding with my feet in front of me so never use them.
  19. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough, my experience was completely opposite than yours in RT vs. GSA comparison on both counts...

I did feel and liked that 17" front wheel on RT was (to/for me) doing better job than 19" on my bike - same day, same route, same everything but bikes...

Didn't particularly need any better wind/weather protection than what GSA offers nor am particularly into spending hrs R&R plastics on RT thus GSA as platform of choice is the one for me - yrmv...
    FLY-DOG likes this.
  20. ottawaST

ottawaST Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I originally had a camhead RT and would still be riding it but I have bad knees and the peg position I found to be just too high on the RT resulting in a lot of knee pain. I replaced it with a water cooled GS where my legs are straighter.
    Eury likes this.