The Grand Rally

Discussion in 'Racing' started by HogWild, Jun 8, 2011.

1. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    While we’re waiting for the summer heat to pass so we can get back to the prerunning, I thought I’d explain the process I use to create the routes and roadbooks. When I first started doing roadbooks it was pretty basic, with a simple Excel spreadsheet and Google Earth (GE), but it has evolved into a much more elaborate process, that works pretty well for me.

I don’t have much time available to go out riding and exploring, and the desert areas where we do this are 5 to 8 hours drive from my home, so I do most of the work at home on the computer.

It starts with an idea of where I want the route to be. In the past we’ve centered most of the routes in the region around Death Valley. I now have nearly 20 unique roadbook routes, mostly in that area. I love finding new places and new roads where I’ve never ridden. But we’ve used so much of the region around Death Valley, and the BLM is closing more of that area all the time, so I’ve been making routes further and further East from there.

When I started searching east of Las Vegas, the terrain was looking better and better. In my college days I used to take a long street bike ride around the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell areas every year. This was before dual sort became popular, but I took my street bike on a lot of dirt roads in that region. When I started exploring it again a year ago using GE, I realized all that cool stuff I saw in my college days was perfect desert rally territory. I started looking into how I could make a series of rally routes around Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon. And so the concept of The Grand Rally was born!

Once I have a general idea where I want the routes to go, the next step is to find some potential bivouac locations. These need to be in campground type locations, or in a town with motels, roughly 100 highway miles apart. This allows for a twisty rally route of 180 to 320 miles between them. Then I find all the gas stations in the region, especially those in somewhat remote spots. This is key, because I can’t make a 200 or 300 mile stage without a gas stop somewhere in the middle, and often at the start and finish too. The exploration is done primarily on GE, with some internet searches to research key spots. I mark the gas stations, hotels, and potential camp spots with placemarks in GE.

Gas stations and possible bivouac spots:
    [​IMG]

Now it’s time to start figuring out the actual route. In the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell area big mountain ranges, rivers/lakes, and canyons dictate where the route might go, or more so where it can’t go. Obviously there’s no way for a dirtbike to cross the main part of the Grand Canyon, or cross a mountain range that has no road or trail over it. But even when a road can be found, it doesn’t mean we can go that way. Locked gates, private property, and BLM wilderness zones can get in the way. I have a tool in GE that shows me all the BLM designated wilderness zones, so I look to see if there are any in the area I want to make a route. It turns out there are a fair number of wilderness areas all over the Western US. Even when there is a perfectly good road inside a wilderness, no motor vehicles are allowed on it.

Once I have an idea where I can’t make the route go, I start zooming in with GE, looking for cool terrain, and roads or trails where the route CAN go. The more varied the terrain, the more I like it. GE is great for this, in that the colors and 3D terrain view make it pretty easy to see where the cool stuff is. The one negative for GE is it’s not so good for planning routes through forested areas because you can’t see the roads through the trees. But this is primarily a desert rally, so that’s not a big deal. I almost never use any types of maps, as they don’t tell you what the terrain is really like. The other negative for maps is they don’t show a lot of roads and trails that end up being the best stuff. Maps usually show you the easy ways through. GE allows you to find the hard ways through.

While laying out a stage, I spend a LOT of time on GE flying around looking for the cool stuff and marking roads and trails I’d like to ride. I put GE placemarks (waypoints) at road intersections and special points where the road or trail looks fun or challenging. For a single stage, I might put a hundred or more placemarks down all over the region where the route needs to go.

Red placemarks where cool stuff is:
    [​IMG]

Once I have pretty well explored and marked a region between two bivouacs, I zoom out and see how it looks. The placemarks are generally on way more roads and trails than could possibly be included in a single stage. So, I look for ways to string together a series of placemarks so I end up including as much of the cool stuff as possible, while keeping the mileage in the 180 to 320 mile range. I use the GE ruler tool to mark a very rough path the way I might want to go. This gives me an idea of the mileage for that path.

When I’ve got a series of placemarks picked out roughly marking the route, I start drawing GE “paths” (tracks) on the roads and trails I’d like to use. Each path might be 5 miles to 50 miles long. I often draw multiple ways through an area, so I can later move the preferred route to another path based on the overall mileage and details I might not find out about until later (such as locked gates, or other problems). Then I organize the paths in the GE “Places” pane in the order they will be ridden. I make the preferred path green, and alternate paths red.

Tracks showing prefered path (green) and alternate paths (red):
    [​IMG]

The alternate paths are critical when prerunning because those are the ways we get around things like locked gates. If I didn’t have those planned ahead of time, the prerunning would take a LOT longer. While I’m drawing the paths in GE, I can usually see fences, and places where there MIGHT be a gate. When I see that, I always hope there is no closed gate, or that it won’t be locked or private property, but we rarely can know that until we arrive there in the prerun. So, when I see those spots in GE, I assume it might be a locked gate, and try to find and draw a path around it. The same goes for tough terrain that might not be passable. We’ve run into a number of ancient roads up steep mountains that are too far eroded or covered with boulders to be passable. If it looks like it might be tough in GE, I always plan one or more alternate routes around it.

All the paths marking the primary route and the alternate routes get converted into GPS tracks and are loaded into my GPS before a prerun. If this were a GPS guided dual sport ride, I’d almost be done. But the work has only just begun, because the roadbooks still need to be created. While prerunning we follow the roadbook. The GPS tracks are only a backup to help get around unexpected problems, and are not available to those who ride the routes once the roadbooks are completed.

My completed roadbooks are very sophisticated Excel spreadsheets containing all the mileages, sequential numbers, text comments, compass headings, and tulip drawings for each navigation point. To get all that information into the spreadsheet is a lengthy process.

Short section of a typical roadbook created in Excel:
    [​IMG]

It starts back in GE. Once I have mapped out a stage (generally one day of riding), in GE I zoom into the start of the stage, and put a placemark exactly at that starting point. This might be at a campground, motel, gas station, or other point I’ve designated as the start of the stage. I name the placemark with a sequential number (i.e. “A100”), and in the placemark comment area I write a text comment for what to do at that point (i.e. “Exit motel RIGHT on Riverside Rd”). Then I pan along the route until I come to an intersection or other spot where a navigation point is needed in the roadbook. I put another placemark there, and again give it a sequential name (A110) and add a text comment (i.e. “LEFT on dirt road”). I leave numeric gaps in the sequence numbering so I can add additional waypoints later if needed without changing the numbers for existing points. I continue in this way, putting down placemarks at all the navigation points along the full length of the stage. A typical 300 mile stage might have 450 navigation points.

Navigation points (placemarks) in Google Earth:
    [​IMG]

Once the navigation points are all in place, I go back to the beginning and enter the mileage and heading for each point. To get the mileage, I use the GE ruler tool, clicking along every twist and turn in the road between one point and the next. When I get to the next point, the ruler tool indicates the length of the path I just laid down. I enter that mileage in the comment area for that placemark, just below the text comment. Another mode of the ruler tool can provide the compass heading of a single straight line. So, in ruler mode, I draw a short two point line on the path leaving the navigation point, so the line points in the direction I want to represent the compass heading leaving that point. I enter that indicated compass heading number in the comment field of the placemark, just below the mileage number. Normally headings are only provided in a rally roadbook at certain key navigation points. For training purposes I provide them at EVERY navigation point. I repeat that process for mileage and heading along the whole stage.

Now I’ve got the primary data I need, but it’s all in GE and I need to move it over to the roadbook in Excel. Through a series of secret manual and automated steps, I get all the data imported into my blank roadbook Excel spreadsheet template. A host of embedded formulas and special formatting automatically manipulate that imported data into the exact format I want in the roadbook.

But the tulip drawings are still not there. Drawing 450 custom tulip drawings takes an enormous amount of time. Actually, every step in this whole process takes an enormous amount of time, but the tulip drawings take enormously enormous time! And experience has shown that a lot of them get thrown away after the prerunning because we end up having to change the route due to blockages like locked gates. So, I don’t draw the tulip drawings until after we have prerun a stage and proven the route is good.

The prerunning uncovers all kinds of problems besides route blockages. While prerunning, we’re checking the mileage, text comments, headings, etc. at every point. After a prerun, I have to go back to GE and change the route, points, and data as needed based on what we find during the prerun. I used to write correction notes in the roadbook while prerunning, so I would know what needs fixing. But that takes a lot of time, which really slows down the prerun. So recently I built a special rugged audio recorder so I can record voice notes instead of writing them on paper. It still takes time, but it’s a lot faster than messing around with pencil and paper out on the trail.

After I’ve made all the post-prerun changes and corrections, it’s time to draw the tulip drawings. I use GE, some custom made Excel tools, and some custom software I wrote just for this task. Again, in GE I go to the start of the stage and zoom into the first navigation point. I rotate the GE view so the path entering the navigation point is at the bottom of the screen (where the dot would be in the tulip drawing). With a single click in my custom software, a snapshot of that exact satellite view as seen in GE is transferred into my Excel tulip drawing tool. Then using modified Excel drawing tools, I hand draw the tulip drawing directly over the top of the satellite image taken from GE, so the curves in the road and angles of roads at the intersection exactly match the way they are in the satellite image. I have a set of prepared graphics for things like powerlines, bushes, and all the French acronyms as used in Dakar roadbooks. I copy and paste those into the tulip drawing as needed. Then with a few clicks, that one tulip drawing is captured and saved in the roadbook Excel file. I repeat that for each navigation point. On average, with all the steps and things that go wrong while doing this, it probably takes about 2 minutes per tulip drawing (15 hours for a long roadbook stage).

Zoomed into navigation point, entering from bottom in a sand wash, then taking road to the left:
    [​IMG]

My tulip drawing tool, with that GE image overlaid in the drawing area:
    [​IMG]

Completed tulip drawing, with GE image removed:
    [​IMG]

Completed roadbook in Excel showing that navigation point at mile 15.82:
    [​IMG]

One major headache is making changes to an existing roadbook. Adding additional points for things like hazards force a repeat of a lot of steps. Although my custom software and other tricks make things a bit easier, it’s still a really difficult and time consuming task.

Once I have a fully completed roadbook file, there’s still more work. They have to be printed and turned into a long 6 inch wide roll of paper. I have two approaches for this, depending on how much time I have available to do it.

The first approach is to print them on regular 8-1/2 x 11 sheets, cut them on a paper cutter to 6 inches wide, then tape or glue them together end-to-end. I did this for a group of about 10 people the first time, and decided it sucked! The taping or gluing takes way too much time, especially if you’re doing a whole batch of roadbooks. So, when I’m in a hurry, I print them and cut them to size, but you guys get to tape them together yourselves out at the bivouac.

The second approach is to print each roadbook on one continuous long sheet of 6 inch wide paper. This avoids the whole taping process. But it requires some special paper and custom printing equipment. I found some great paper, and built a machine that helps with this. But it’s quirky, and sometimes unravels a full 1000 foot roll of paper out on the floor if I’m not watching it. So I have to be beside it while printing all the time. And this printer takes about 45 minutes to print just one 300 mile roadbook (60ft long roll, 18m), so it’s pretty slow. But the resulting roadbook is excellent, and you guys don’t have to spend all that time in the evening sticking the sheets together.

That’s my brief overview of what it takes to come up with the route and make a roadbook for one stage. I skipped a lot of little steps and details so this explanation wouldn't turn into a novel. At the moment The Grand Rally is about 18 stages. When we’re done, it will probably be around 20 stages. A full set of roadbooks for one person riding 20 stages would be around 850 pages, or a roll almost 800 feet (220m) long.

Rally On!
    jimj911 and MasterMarine like this.
  2. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    Somebody somewhere is compiling stuff like this for a doctorate on rallybook making hehe

This is the most comprehensive and insightfull post on the topic ever.

You sir are a genuine adv hero
    Thank you!
    :clap
  3. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    Wow!!! All I can say is that is one labor of love, a truly awesome effort. If that is your "brief" explanation, I would love to see your detailed work. You definitely need to have a passion to put the time and effort into something the way you have with this. Most folks just want to ride.

Hats off to you...
    Ken
  4. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rally fanatics everywhere owe you a debt of gratitude, Scott. Excellent stuff, and excellent results. Thank you!
  5. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    HogWild,

Consider getting a Tripy II when pre running the roadbooks, a great way to verify and update the roadbook on the fly!!

Has a greatoffline tool too :)
  6. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

I was looking at those recently. Do they allow you to create tulips while riding...or at least on the unit?
  7. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    I dont believe they work here or have maps for the US yet..
  8. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    You dont need maps to make the roadbook :)
  9. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indeed you can!
  10. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    I have looked at it several times. The device looks really cool! But their website doesn't show enough to convince me it would be helpful for my approach. Since there are no maps for USA, how would I use it to make a roadbook in an area I had not ridden to yet? How does it know the kmbetween points unless I have already driven the route? I don't ride the route until AFTER I have made the initial roadbook. If I made the roadbook during or after the first prerun, I would have to go back and prerun it again to check that the roadbook was correct. Unfortnately I don't have enough vacation time to do that.

How does it take into account significant elevation changes that make the distances longer than what a flat GPS track would show?

I draw the tulip drawings at home, based on the GE images and my memory after prerunnig. There is no way I could draw them while riding the route. It takes way too much time if you want to make nice drawings. It seems thier tools allow the tulips to be drawn at home, or out on the route, which is a nice option. Maybe there is a way to combine parts of my approach with the Tripy-II approach, but I don't see it, or don't see how it would make the overall task better and easier.

If I had their unit and software in my hands, I'd surely give it a try. But the price is a bit too high for me to buy it and then find out that it didn't work for me. Maybe they would be willing to donate a unit and the software to allow me to evaluate it?
  11. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hi Scott,

Wow, thanks for the brief overview ... four thousand miles ... epic.

Looks like the finished rally books will require a few pints of pre-runner blood in addition to the 800' rolls of paper ... ha.

see you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
  12. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Now that's what I call a hobby! :lol3

Spectacular work Scott, and many thanks for presenting it here. So I guess all we need is someone called Etienne reading this and saying "Le fuck this, write sis guy a letteur, push a million € his way, tell 'im we take care of se land use permits and do se Grand Canyon Dakar next spring".
  13. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Incredible work Scott, that is dedication!!!
  14. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    Scott,

I wish I'd seen this post 6 minths ago since I've been working on the same thing, only I was using some boat portages across Lake Mead and Mojave to make gas stops reasonable. But you are way farther along and 200% more detailed than my "wing it, ride it and draw it method."

I will ride it and I'll pay for it too because I know the exhaustive work it takes to produce something of this magnitude. This is some of the last true remote desert here in the states that has a fair amount of abandonded roads from the pre-lake days.

Thanks for the heads up.

JIMMY
  15. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jimmy, I look forward to seeing you out there sometime!

Next week we're prerunning another couple hundred miles. Two weeks ago we bit off a bit more than we could chew and had to cut things short. Encountered a couple of unexpected blockages that took a lot of time to get around. And ran the gas hauling buggy in a boulder wash that was bad enough on bikes, but way too nasty for the buggy. We only made half the day's planned distance before it got dark. Of course we always end up taking on too much for a day, but this time I decided to head back to the hotel rather than spend the whole night trying to find the route in the dark. This next one we're traveling slim and light, and spending two nights far from pavement!
  16. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ill contact them and let you know!
  17. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Very cool, I really like the writeup on how you make the roadbook, really gives an appreciation for how much work this really is. I hope to do the RMS training day next year. Hopefully I can do some of the Grand Rally the year after!
  18. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Subscribed. THis is awesome!
  19. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    We completed two more prerun trips, covering portions of Stages 6, 7, 8, & 9.

In prerun 4 we had Mark and his buggy come along as support and to carry gas. In that trip we ended up in a wash that was too rocky and difficult for the buggy. We had to turn back early and ended the trip far from completing what we had planned. Plus, my wife decided she will NEVER go a trip like this again.

Then this past weekend we put in 3 more days of tough riding. Good thing the buggy didn't come on this one because we ended up going down a gnarly boulder wash, then a bit later we hit a similar wash going up. For me these sections weren't much fun at all, but they will stay in the route to keep the difficulty high.

Hogette Wild in the buggy
    [​IMG]

Buggy in action:
    [​IMG]

Ready to go (before falling into the cow piss&shit hole):
    [​IMG]

LKN4DRT's piss&shit bike towing our support wagon:
    [​IMG]

LKN4DRT on the edge!
    [​IMG]

Grand Canyon hillclimb to Heaven:
    [​IMG]

Grand Canyon hillclimb from Hell. The map says this is a road !
    [​IMG]

Remote view point:
    [​IMG]

Where we start the day, and where we finish it. Everything in between is just Grand !
    [​IMG]

New F2R roadbook and ICO switch (thanks RMS):
    [​IMG]
  20. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Rad!