BMW R1150RT / 1200RT / R1250RT Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    May have to do with how far back the license plate mount is from the back tire's edge. The RT is rather tidy in that area. tom
  2. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some nice roads out that way. The RT really likes them.
  3. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello all... As I said earlier on this page I bought that 2003 R1150RT 64k miles on her. I have not received the bike yet. Due to my current work schedule I had it shipped to me. It should arrive here late next week, or early the following.

Due to the immense amount of reading I've been doing about the bike, I feel like I might have made a mistake. There seems to be a lot of information about the bad things that can go wrong with the bike. I figure since its got higher miles on it now, that it has been taking care of. I do not know the history of it, but have been trying to contact the previous owner.

On my DR650, there are only a couple of major issues: the NSU (fixed), and third gear blowing up. I ride it (even after I big bored it) with confidence, but know that an issue with my third gear could happen at anytime. On the BMW, you got the splines, surging, HAL, alternator, leaky drive shaft seals, clutch master cylinders that go, and ABS that is known to die. If I end up with a bike that needs all that work, I've sure it will put a bad taste in my mouth about BMW. My biggest fear actually is the servo failure, and being left with indecent braking action.

I've also read the opposite, people riding it for 1000's of miles, with no issues at all and just basic maintenance. But of course, the negatives over shadow the good. Of course, I'm nervous. I'm nervous to see how it runs, and see if the trans is making a bunch of noise. The dealership I bought it from said it rode great, and I would have no issues riding it home (5+ hours).

What do you all have to say? I've bought other bikes sight un-seen before, and I was never this nervous. Could also be that this is my first big bike, coming from riding DR650's and the such.

If anybody here had this year/make/model in the either PA, CT, or NH, send me a PM and I'll send you the VIN number to see if you are one of the previous owners. According to a VIN check, the first owner had her for more then 60k miles.
  4. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    I had an '03 with the same mileage on it when I got it. All service records came with it and it hadn't had any failures in its life. I traded it for a new 1200RT, but now wish I had kept the '03 for the expense vs the ride improvement factor.

Remember that forums are where folks come to bitch more than to rave, so accept the things you read as a small minority of disappointed owners, rather than the norm. Congrats and enjoy the new bike upon its arrival,

A friend got an '04 new, and has no desire to replace it with anything made today, including a 1600, and he works for BMW... Gotta say something good about the bike. tomp
  5. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    I have two DR650's and I love them. I have owned an '04 R1150RT for almost five years and have ridden it 35k miles. Rest assured you have bought one of the finest motorcycle ever built - congratulations. Enjoy!
    patrkbukly likes this.
  6. Jim-Mer

Jim-Mer Slowing Down Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put new Z8s on about 2,500 miles before I left for the MOA rally, and my round trip was over 6,200 miles, so I'm at about 8,700 now and maybe have another thousand left. What sort of tire pressures are you running?

Jim
    Canton, OH
  7. Jim-Mer

Jim-Mer Slowing Down Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forgot to add I plan to try PR3s next, have heard great things about them.

Jim
  8. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    So was that pre-arranged or did fate bring together two guys, each in search of an egg mcmuffin, each riding a bike they wanted to trade out of...?
  9. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    I had Iron Pony mount up a set of PR3s on my 09 a couple of weeks ago. So far I love them. Very neutral handling and good in the rain. Monday I'm headed from mid-Ohio to Bend, OR on the RT to visit family. I'll post up when I get back in a few weeks.
  10. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I had the P3's put on a couple of thousand miles ago and I really like them. It feels like a completely different motorcycle. Much better traction, softer ride and real good when it's wet. Great tire for the RT
  11. Skred

Skred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The headlights on my'06 RT are burned out. The high beam is still good.

I would like some recommendations on replacement bulbs including LED replacements. I would also like recommendations on bulbs for the marker lights. I would like yellow LED's instead of white.

Please include a description and a URL for ordering.
  12. Ziploc

Ziploc Seeking adventure on- and off-road

Oddometer:
    These are the highest output H7 bulbs available, 65 watts from Osram: http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html. The only way to get more lumens is with HID (and that's not recommended by the lighting experts due to the forward glare from an uncontrolled beam).

LEDs aren't available for an effective bulb replacement that I'm aware of and would suffer similar beam focus and glare problems as HID.

Google is your friend for amber LED wedge bulbs: www.google.com/search?q=amber+LED+wedge+bulb

Cheers!
  13. Skred

Skred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "amber LED wedge bulbs"

Is there a specific type of connector or bulb type, such as BNC or screw in, that I am looking for?
  14. Ziploc

Ziploc Seeking adventure on- and off-road

Oddometer:
    Bulb types 194, 168 (and I believe T10) all use the same base connection. It's quite common (hence, "wedge" bulb).

LEDs generate a lot of heat and may not be appropriate for some enclosures.

After going through a pair of inexpensive amber LED wedge bulbs from Autozone, I got a pair of these from PIAA: http://www.piaa.com/store/p/179-168-Wedge-XTreme-White-Plus-Twin-Pack-Halogen-Bulbs.aspx.

There are similar products that may cost less: http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-1-led-wedge-base/197/. This last one allows you to select a color and beam angle (wider may be better for conspicuity).

Cheers!
  15. Budman

Budman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had PR3's put on my bike July 2nd. Ran over something yesterday and got a chance to use my Stop and Go tire plugger.

Are you guys aware that there are no B rated PR3's anywhere. Nationwide back order on them. They will not be available till at least the 24th of August according to my dealer and a couple of online places.

So I put a B rated PR2 on the back. It drove ok on the 50 miles I put on it this afternoon. Im not wild about putting different tires on fron and back but didnt have much choice if wanted to ride.

Any thoughts about this combo?

Bud
  16. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    Not a tire expert, but from what I've read, the difference between 2's and 3's is the wet road traction improvement with the change in the tread design. Hope you get great life and control from the combo.
  17. doggrell3000

doggrell3000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dear forum

i am getting a little impatient waiting for the release of the 2014 bmw r1200rt lc motorcycle . i know bmw wants my $20,000 but all i see from them are those awful pics of the demo bikes covered with swirly decals . please if anybody knows when the press ( or us mere buyers ) can see this bike let me know . the 2014 bmw r1200rt lc will be the epitome of motorcycle design and luxury touring . what is the release date ? thanks .

doggrell3000
  18. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:
    They could tell you, but then they would have to kill you. Or make you ride around the world until the official release day party. :huh

Patience. As my wife tells me all the time !:lol3
  19. longjt

longjt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used them for about 40k miles and found them nice but the front wore out sooner than the back on every pair. Also they didn't like tar snakes, at least the Utah variety. I've switched to pr3s and couldn't be happier. No more tar snake squiggles and the front and back wear out with the same mileage, about 12k. Mind you I am not talking about Roadsmart 2s.
  20. bbjumper

bbjumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the PR3's, great in the wet too. I have 8k on mine and it looks like 12 -14 is definitely doable.

Cheers