Dirt Farming: NY/PA style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ride4321, Sep 30, 2011.

1. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taken tonight near Sayre PA (Bradford county). No comment here but this says what most that live in a drilling area think.

[​IMG]

WARNING! This is not a political post!
  2. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea Baby! Just got my Laminar Lip tonight and it'll be ready to put back on the bike for tomorrows commute to work. 25 this morning and it's time for a "little" bit of protection from the elements. Speaking about protection...I got my ACF-50 yesterday and if I get a warm enough day to get the bike good and clean it's getting a good coat of this stuff. On the left is a good chain roller to replace the stock POC. I expect to be slightly warmer on the ride in tomorrow and maybe, just maybe, be able to loosen my grip on the bars at interstate speeds.

[​IMG]

Maybe I should have bought the clear wind screen... Some day I might paint all the white plastic black though so if that should ever happen the tinted screen will look best.

Update: The screen works great. Took most of the wind off my chest at highway speed and might have kept a bit of the rain off my as well this morning. I'm happy with the results.
  3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
    Another block of beautiful weather here in the NE. Rode the Tiger to the Poconos for dinner yesterday. Cold start in the morning but the it ended very comfortable and the ride home today was just as nice. Took 81/84 and 447 on the way down and the western route through Wilkes Barre and Tunkhannock on the way home.

Always wanted to check out these cabins on 447. If you stop be careful, there's some really weak wood covering a well, I almost went through it. It's on the right side of the cabin. Would have sucked being trapped in a well and missing Thanksgiving dinner....

[​IMG]

The well is over here...

[​IMG]

Post dinner campfire and ceremonial burning of the dead X-mas tree...

[​IMG]

South of Tunkhannock, hmmm, pie or biscotti????? BISCOTTI!!!!!

[​IMG]

Drilling rig ....

[​IMG]

GASSHOLES. These water trucks are everywhere. Careful riding in this part of PA.

[​IMG]

Hell, why not eat both. Pumpin pie dip!!! Great combo...

[​IMG]
  4. rainmaker8

rainmaker8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shout out if you ever want riding companions. I'm up in NY Catskills region and would consider venturing down for a chill day on those roads!
  5. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will do Rainmaker. I used to head towards the Catskills all the time but didn't even head in that direction once this year. You've got some great riding out that way, maybe I'll head that way on the DR if I get another good day.
  6. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No pics today, work day on the DR. Tore it apart this morning and gave it a thorough cleaning then a good coat of ACF-50 for the coming salt and slush. While I was at it I got that upper chain roller off and replaced the lower roller with a sealed bearing roller. It'll be smoking for awhile until the protectant burns off completely but I think it'll be worth the effort since I intend to commute on the DR through the winter.
    Beautiful day out there today!:clap
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time to stick up the skinny fake tree. Decorating crew...

[​IMG]

since I've never had a star for the top my sons thought this would work nicely. I'm down with that, nice thinking guys...

[​IMG]
  8. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    25F and icy this morning. Took the slow way to work. Didn't want to chance it on the highway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was my first day out on icy roads, I'd never take a chance on ice with the Tiger. It was fun and the DR tiptoed through it nicely. Can't wait for some real snow!
  9. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way to share your stories and pics. Lots of variety!

Good luck with riding as the snow flies. Take care!
  10. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks RedRock. It's nice to know they're being appreciated.
    I won't get out much for pleasure riding now that it's winter but I'll keep commuting to work.
    How's the riding in Utah this time of year? You are living in a riders paradise out there,
  11. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Great photos, did a bunch of riding in the area years ago and I can see I need to return.

A few tire screw/studs will help a bunch if you are going to ride on black ice/slush/snow all the time.

Cheers.
  12. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I've been thinking about studs but haven't needed them yet. I doubt I'll get around to that this year since I don't really have much time to ride other than commuting to work. If I could get out more on the weekends I'd have the tires studded by now.
  13. Vinbowie

Vinbowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of fun.
    Thanks for the report.
    :clap:clap:clap
  14. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you're enjoying it Vin. Wish I could out and ride during daylight but there just isn't much of that around this time of year.
  15. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a little spare time at work today and made up my "Holiday" card. Photo taken in Rocky Mt. N P this summer. Not surprised I ran into this old fart up there at all...

[​IMG]

So whatever you call it...have a Merry Christmas:lol3:freaky

All I know is that Santa IS alive and well in Colorado.
  16. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no new pics, but I did have a nice ride into work today. 5F here in upstate NY. It's my all time low (no heated gear or grips). I couldn't have gone much further than the 14 miles to work as my fingers were ready to snap off, otherwise I was pretty warm. I brought the camera with me and really wanted to take a pic in front of a bank thermometer but I wasn't going out of my way to find one and I doubt my fingers would have been able to snap a pic anyhow.
    Ahhh, the joys of cold weather riding.:evil
  17. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    5F.....That's dedication! :thumb

I enjoyed your thread. :lurk
    Touring around with a camera is as fun as a barrel of monkeys.

I like your choice of bikes too! :augie
  18. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jax.
    The bikes are perfect together, I couldn't be happier with them. I still look at Craigslist to see if any interesting bikes show up but I don't have any desire to buy anything.
  19. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No new ride pics BUT ... I got heat in the garage now. Too bad it's in the 50's today and I can't really tell how well it's going to work. I'll find out soon enough though I'm sure.

[​IMG]

The Tiger is in the process of getting wrenched on, the heat will be nice.:clap

My method of lifting the front end while on the center stand.

[​IMG]

And...a new retractable work bench...

[​IMG]

retracted as a space saver...

[​IMG]
  20. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Those heaters are really nice!

Friggin brilliant front end jack for your Tiger! Those 2x4s are held down with the center stand? Excellent idea.
    I just broke the plastic stump guard on my tiger, using it to hold the weight of the front off the ground. I am positive that the manual warns against doing so some where.