2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Strada pictures Russel. How do you like the ABS, can you shut it off easily?
  2. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like how much room they put between the front fender and the tire. :clap

That's a major complaint with most low fenders.

3. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree - I never wished for 6th gear on my DR650. It was geared down 1 tooth on the front, and I thought the gearing was perfect for everything I did, from easy off-road to 100kpm / 60mph 2-lane highways. I wouldn't ride interstate highways on thumpers unless there's a gun to my head (or perhaps in a cold rain, wanting to get to a warm meal, a cold beer and a warm Wifey at home).

Wide-ratio tranny with 5 speeds is fine with me. 6 is important for lower powered machines like my WR250R, but the DR had enough torque that I never wished for more gears in the same spread.
  4. hambone650rider

hambone650rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This question is for big dog or anyone who has the experience to answer it. I have a 1100gs and a well sorted dr650, I ride mostly to work, lots of day rides, and 2 times a year take 3day trips around 1200 miles on each. Oh and I prefer riding and exploring the mountains of nc,va,wv. 70/30dirt. I'm wondering if the terra would be the bike for me? I'm in love with this bike, and would value anyone who owns ones opinion . Can it replace both of my bikes? Thanks
  5. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    From the magazine reports, sounds like the gearing is the same between the Terra and Strada.

How difficult/expensive would it be to buy a 18/21 set of Excel rims/hubs and have a more dirt focused, ABS option?
  6. infinitipearl

infinitipearl n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all. Just got a 2013 Strada last week. It's my first motorcycle, and I've put one sad mile on her so far, in the parking lot of my apartment complex. But this weekend I'll be hittin' the trails. Just joined this site, as my buddy and I plan on doing some adventuring together. He just bought a new G650GS. My other friend just bought a Yamaha XT250, as it fits her tiny body better. Not a bad way for all of us to learn to ride. Hopefully this link works, I didn't see a way to add photos. Cheers...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152207884805527.919025.559780526&type=1&l=d5a4341513
  7. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    +1 on that!

The 6-speed in my KTM 950 Adv is all but useless for anything but blasting down the interstate at 95+mph. My KLR 650 on the other hand could use a 6-speed transmission. The 6-speed in my KLX250S is very nice! 100cc more engine and the KLX would be better than the KLR.
  8. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is exactly the question I've been trying to figure out. I think the key question is "How to fit an ABS ring onto a Spoke hub/wheel".

Seriously, that would be exactly the bike I'd want. ABS, 17/19" spoked rims. TKC 80's for the weekends... and shod a second set of rims for motard work.

I have a WR250 for lighter dirt work. I do however find the WR lacking on the highway.
  9. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    I don't understand all the subtle details, but internationally they are offering ABS in 18/21. I don't know why they don't offer it in the US.
  10. BMW-K

Oddometer:
    The tire sizing isn't really that big of a deal. I mean, you can get Metzler Tourance's in that size and they are plenty good for street. It's the whole ABS thing that I want...only I want it with spokers. :D
  11. OldManSandman

OldManSandman Not really old

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled on this thread. Terra looks like an awesome bike and at the price point I believe will sh*t kick KLR / DR sales... Thumbs up BMW / Husky, I might be riding one in the future.

Sandman
  12. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Grab a pair of BMW 650 GS/Dakar wheels off ebay/craigs. Looks to be the same hubs/carrier/rotors as the Terra. Bam, spoked wheels with ABS ring.
  13. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    To keep the price low.
  14. BMW-K

Oddometer:
    FTW! :clap:clap:clap
  15. modeselector

Oddometer:
    Good call-did a quick search, readily available.
  16. FabOneUp

FabOneUp I'll give it a go!

Oddometer:
    Help me to understand the love of ABS? Worst thing I ever had on a bike. Had it on a BMW F650GS, almost killed me a few times (on street and dirt), disabled it, never have it again. It freaked me out when I first saw my Terra with the back wheel speed sensor. If it would have been an ABS sensor, I would not have bought it.

There was the option on the GS to shut it off before you rode, but you had to be stopped, put the bike in neutral and push the ABS button down for three seconds. Every time you shut off the bike to take a pic, look at the view, meet up and see where to go next or whatever, the bike would default to ABS on....So...when you jump back on the bike, take off, forget to do the above ritual and you go bombing down a steep mountain slope and almost go off a cliff when the fricken ABS kicks in when you need it least! I don't even like ABS on my truck. I can maybe understand it for a full on street bike, but not these.

Another thing...I paid an extra $750 for this useless option. That's the same cost as an Arai helmet and a nice set of ride boots! Sorry, I guess I'm still a little sore about it.
  17. motorjon68

motorjon68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on a very cool first bike! Please be safe and tell us about your adventures in Ride Reports.
  18. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    ABS improves every year, BMW is working hard on it with Bosch and other OEM suppliers. Have a look at the ABS module and tell us what version it is.

On wet streets in panic situations it can be useful even for very skilled riders. And if you don't like it, you can surely figure out a way how to disrupt the circuit. On the F800GS for example there is a plug under the seat that can simply be disconnected, or Burnsmoto makes a plug & play harness for it so you can put a switch on your dash.

Extra weight of the new modules is around 2 lbs so it's not a big benefit to take it off.
  19. modeselector

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with LukasM - when on the street, ABS can save your bacon during panic stops. Would be curious as well re: the ABS version on this bike. I can attest that the F800 system worked very well.
  20. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is just one little thing I don't like about ABS...

Not all of my bikes have it! And unless I could have it in all of them, save for the track bike, I won't get a bike with ABS. Getting good at braking takes quite a bit of time, adjusting your reflexes/skills and muscle memory to brake hard without locking up the brakes takes a lot of practice and experience...

And no, I'm not saying I can do it better than the ABS computer...

But if I get used to having the ABS computer doing that for me, I'd be lousier at braking, and a danger to myself when riding a bike without it. I've seen some of my friends, that ride ABS equipped bikes, have close calls when the ABS was disabled...