Why so few going to see WHY WE RIDE movie

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by klaviator, Dec 1, 2013.

1. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    The movie "Why We Ride" is scheduled to be shown at a few theaters and only a few dates. To be shown at least 90 tickets must be pre sold. I checked for theaters in Atlanta, Kennesaw, Birmingham, and Nashville. It does not appear that enough tickets will be sold to have the movie shown in any of these locations.

I'm hoping that the reason is lack of advertizing and not apathy on the part of motorcycle riders in the South east. Some other locations show that the movie is sold out. Atlanta area has several screenings so perhaps people are going to an earlier screening.

Here's a list of theaters and showtimes: http://whyweridefilm.com/screenings-videos.html

For show dates on 8 December, tickets must be reserve by tomorrow. It doesn't look like that will happen.

For those who have not heard of this movie

<a href="<iframe width=" 640"="" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AxGNI4jpzL4?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">"><a href="<iframe width=" 640"="" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AxGNI4jpzL4?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""><iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AxGNI4jpzL4?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  2. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
  3. PoodlePumper

PoodlePumper Custom Title User

Oddometer:
    My $.02....

I'm sure it's entertaining but not a big draw for me. I know why we ride. :D

I'm sure I'll buy it or watch on t.v. when it comes out...just doesn't look as interesting as Long Way Round, et al.

PP
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    1) If you look at overall trends on ADV, let's do some statistics on the rallys. I'd say most only get 100-200 persons to rendezvous. And that means that folks are often coming from neighboring states. People aren't going to put that much effort into a movie.

2) ADV is a place for some to escape. As such, they often over commit and under show. Having to put money on the line more than the minute they are walking out the door is way.too.much.commitment.

3) The family buckets all moto events in one category. You are not with them, and it involves it a moto then you need a kitchen pass. If kitchen passes are limited, a movie probably isn't worth it.

4) It's the holidays...by the time to buy the ticket, parking and a popcorn it's a $50 night for 2 persons. Cash ain't growing on trees, and the KLR needs new Shinkos.

5) Believe it or not ADV is not the center of life. Many folks may visit, or only visit certain parts of forums. And while you might believe how can someone not know about the movie, I assure you the next time you see your riding buds, someone will say "what movie?"

6) While ADV is get the movie limited exposure, what about the pirates, the squids and the other unmentionable riders? Those are the ones that you need to campaign to on a local level at a theatre near you.
  5. cybrdyke

cybrdyke In the Dark

Oddometer:
    way back up in the woods among the evergreens
    This.

I dont need the positive reinforcement that what I like to do is pretty cool.
    And those that dont ride FOR SURE aren't gonna be interested in it.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not blaming lack of attendance on ADV. I don't think that the word got out because there are thousands of riders in most large metropolitan areas. Only a fraction are regulars on ADV. I don't know of any way to quickly reach most of those riders. With more time we could put flyers up at motorcycle shops.

However, there are many other forums. Here in Alabama, BamaRides seems to be more active than ADV. There are also many other brand specific forums out there. I am surprised by the small number of people who reserved tickets.

It appears that in some cities the word got out and the movie sold out, in others it didn't.

As for cost, $11 bucks and change is not that expensive. There is no requirement to buy over priced pop corn and drinks.
  7. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much sums it up. I know why I ride, and I really don't care why a bunch of other people ride.

The trailer made it look like a marketing/propaganda film aimed at non-riders. Lots of slow motion shots filmed in front of beautiful sunsets. All the tired cliches.

Pass.
  8. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    What movie?
  9. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geeze rough crowd. At least it's a movie about motorcycles. How many of those have you seen??? one? I'll be going.....fingers crossed.

10. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just watched the trailer, looks pretty good.
  11. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The man asked why so few were going, and I expressed my reasons.

Curiously it comes out on DVD on the 5th, so if you miss it in theaters, you won't have to wait too long. You may even get the DVD before the screening on the 8th :rofl
  12. JaxObsessed

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    I didn't feel like a 5 year old when I started reading this.

13. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    No chance here on "The Rock".
    Saw the trailer on ADV and that may be as close as I will get.
  14. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    I'd go see it if it was playing somewhere close but, I'd rather be out riding & making Gopro videos of why "I" ride. However, I'm a *feral thing that detests tall buildings, heavy traffic & large groups of the most dangerous of the great apes.

Hopefully this movie will knock some of our weak sisters off the fence & get them to start riding & enjoying their lives. Sadly the majority of our species looks down their nose at us & calls us "organ donors" without ever realizing that dying on a motorcycle would beat the hell out of being TAXED to death. :lol3

If anyone in the W. Tennessee area would like to organize a group ride to view this movie, drop me a line as I'd go just for the ride.

*Feral: escaped from captivity, returned to the wild :clap
  15. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I feel that this is a TERRIBLE time of year to try to push this movie the way they have done. There is so much going on with family and friends that it is difficult for many to set aside a day to go see this. On top of that, it is prime time for other movie premiers, especially family/kids movies. In much of the country a ride to watch is out of the question because of weather problems.

They should have waited until March-April to release it IMO.
  16. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect they wanted to get the DVD on the shelves before the holidays, and they're getting that done. Any money they'll get from a one time showing in a few movie theaters is a bonus, but not enough to change the release date.
  17. JaxObsessed

Oddometer:
    We just got some good news here in Baltimore...
    they have extended signup 24 hours and lowered the butts in seats by 20!! now we're only 8 away.

Might want to check your locals again Klav.

edit...
    We did it!! Movie is going to show in Baltimore!!!
    :)
    http://www.tugg.com/events/6813
  18. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I'm not going because its in Atlanta, and its on a MONDAY NIGHT (what genius makes it happen on a friggin' MONDAY?). The movie looks great, can't wait to see it. But I will be seeing it on DVD in my house with my flat screen, a fire, and a bourbon or three.
  19. srelegante

srelegante srelegante Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got the email regarding the Atlanta screening!

SE
  20. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    flux come on down sunday for the showing at 2pm. after our riding friday and saturday it should be a nice way to end the weekend. come hang out at the casa for a bit before/after the show if you want, i'm only about 7-8 miles from the theater... ride down if you want!