Honda Spree final drive woes

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Quickv4, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Quickv4

Quickv4 Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer:
    Dickinson, Nort' Dakohtah- Orig. from Wiscowsin
    Hey all

Picked up a Honda Spree for my brother, and it had a noise/vibration at speeds over 15mph. Tore the fial drive apart and found that it was filled with metal shavings and one bad pinion bearing. Th clutch shaft (which is the pinion shaft) had alot of axial play. Replaced all the bearings and seals from Honda and buttoned it back up. I did notice the pinion shaft still had alot of axial play after bearing replacement, even with a BRAND NEW bearing. Still noisy!! Im at a loss?!:cry

Thinking about seeing if I can shim up the pinion shaft to tighten it down. It has the -one- OEM 15mm shim in it right now. Im thinking maybe the aluminum bearing boss is worn which the opposite side of the pinion shaft bearing rests in. Thining a few shims to eliminate any endplay and keep the shaft from leaning in one direction?
  2. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Since the bearings were toast did the PO just keep riding it with the bad bearings? I'm suspecting the gears had some really bad wear on them also.
  3. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    I bet the PO did, which is why Im guessing the aluminum boss is worn (from the shaft running crooked because of the bad bearing) Someone had been in the final drive before, there was black silicone everywhere.

Gosh, I LOVE the un-screwingwith process of a new used bike:deal:doh
  4. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    Ouch; you may need to replace the engine case half, or have a machine shop mill it out and insert a bronze bushing (plus replace all the gears and bearings). How many miles on this thing?
  5. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    1700 indicated

Taking a case half to the machine shop is my fear too. Dont know how much $$$$ to spend on a $400 scoot though! :eek1
  6. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    sounds like you either have or will need a parts bike. It's cool to see someone who can even think about shimming, much less do it.