Cat Herders: Shenandoah Valley Inmates

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by HBN, Nov 3, 2008.

1. phunmusicphan

phunmusicphan Dude

Oddometer:
    I've got a right signal (un broke) you can have it if you want.
  2. valongbeard

valongbeard mild mannered

Oddometer:
    :y0! Pick it up at lunch next week? When and where? ADV lunch?
  3. phunmusicphan

phunmusicphan Dude

Oddometer:
    Is there an ADV lunch? Any were is cool with me just let me know what works for you around 12:00.
  4. valongbeard

Oddometer:
    Monday? Bridgewater pizza joint again? 10 minutes past noon?
  5. phunmusicphan

phunmusicphan Dude

Oddometer:
    I will be there! No bike though.:cry Can't ride on Mondays. Have to get my daughter to ballet. There is not enough time to get home, get car get the kids and get to dance.
    Unless you would want to do Tuesday?:evil It's also saying rain Monday, not Tuesday. If it matters.
  6. valongbeard

Oddometer:
    deal. tuesday. flipping pizza in bridgewater. Who else?
  7. phunmusicphan

phunmusicphan Dude

Oddometer:
  8. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loobman chain oiler was the secret. Perhaps a tad messy but definitely helpful.
  9. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wayne. Well put. Personally, Dave, I'd save the wear on removing good parts, run both sprockets and keep an eye on them, swap at the first sign of curving. It's easy to check the sprockets with the new chain, wrap around and check for lift and play. Compare between existing (while in-place) and the replacements. If they are worn to the point of accelerating chain wear, it will be evident. There's no magic in changing sprockets with chains or vice versa. Just good parts working together. Unless you're in or associated with the parts business. You can opt to believe them. My personal experience is only based on many years with various bikes. As much as a cheap bastard, my philosophy is one of anti-waste. If not for opportunity costs, then at least for the ecology. I apply that to all aspects, and includes the false economy of not replacing things that need to be replaced resulting in putting off a greater overall expediture.
  10. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    If it was, tell him I'm sorry we didn't have time to stop, and hope to meet him sometime soon.
  11. phunmusicphan

phunmusicphan Dude

Oddometer:
    Nope, not him.
  12. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    A mystery it remains... I thought I saw a black beard surrounding that smile. I'm guessing he was somewhat of a new rider since he wasn't doing anything near what could be done through those twisties.
  13. valongbeard

Oddometer:
    I thought it had something to do with the leaking oil seals keeping my chain moist. :norton
  14. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Well, you took care of that so if nothing else changes perhaps you'll find out :evil
  15. valongbeard

Oddometer:
    Sumbitch! The new rear is NOT compatible with the new 520 chain. I was afraid of that. That's why I called and asked the vendor before I purchased it. He assured me that it would fit. So far I'm striking out pulling up a 520 compatible rear sprocket. I am leaving town early Wednesday morning and I am running out of time to wait on shipping.

:becca
  16. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Wish I could help you. Maybe post up on Stromtroopers?
  17. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Dave, if you don't figure something out before your trip I have a chain and a set of sprockets in decent shape you can use.
  18. valongbeard

Oddometer:
    Thanks brother. I'm digging, but gonna call Bike Bandit in the morning and see if they have something that will work and will ship it double quick since they left me in this lurch. If I can't get happy, I'll see what the Honda shop can do for me.
  19. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Why do I feel like some critical element of the story has not been told here? Are you trying to use a different chain size or sumpin? Why would you ever question the chain size compatibility of a replacement sprocket?
    And, the critical bottom line, what's the emergency to replace a sprocket that shows no appreciable wear, anyway? :scratch.

I thought we covered this last item... I'm so confused! :baldy
  20. valongbeard

Oddometer:
    Ya OnO. I hate to keep pirating the thread, but I'll speak one last time. I attempted to downsize the drive from a 525 factory setup to a 520. That's a more narrow, lighter, quicker and less expensive chain. Ordering the replacements, the front sprocket listed specifically the 525 or 520 option. No such option on the rear, so I called. Service dude said, "Ya man. No prob." Actually, the rear is 525 wide and 520 chain rides high and loses alignment part way around. Not replacing the rear sprocket is not an option with this change, regardless of wear.

AB13 has made me an awesome offer to help out. Without his help I probably wouldn't have slept very well last night. I think everything is going to work out fine. I just gotta do some more digging.