Replacing Grips

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Denase, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Denase

Denase Denase

Oddometer:
    I have a 2007 R1200GS Adventure. I would like to replace the grips with a set of universal grips I like. Can that be done or do I have to buy the expensive BMW grips. My bike has heated grips.

Thanks
  2. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless your heart is really set on these particular replacements, don't worry about replacing, just slide Grip Puppies over your old ones.

I have them on all my bikes; the oldest pair installed 5 years ago, still shows no UV or wear damage after about 40k miles. I got them originally to reduce vibration imparted on my hands. They also worked well for general comfort (slightly increasing diameter of the grips). There is no loss of heating.

One of the best deals ever. Installation takes about 10 minutes. Get the small size, you will need to shorten them a bit with scissors, lube with dishwasher fluid and just slide on.

Replacement of OEM grips is not easy (there is a pictorial somewhere here on ADVrider) and you are risking damaging the heaters, extra cost.
  3. Denase

Denase Denase

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will check those out.
  4. TOTim

TOTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is an excellent tutorial in the Hall of Wisdom (bottom of every page on advrider) for doing GS/GSA grip replacement.