Finally got my KTM 450 EXC

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by chilly_moose, Feb 10, 2013.

1. chilly_moose

chilly_moose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So i finally saved up a few bucks to buy my first enduro bike.
    It's a 2004 KTM 450 EXC.
    If any body can give me some insight on this bike i would greatly appreciate it.
    http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2514121/
  2. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:
    It is more honorable ( and less lazy ) to search for yourself rather than ask to be spoon-fed by
    people who probably have better things to do than do your homework for you.

Click on the link below and you will be able to learn virtually everything you could
    ever possibly want or need to know about the bike you just bought. There are 36,600
    search results. That ought to keep you busy for a few hours.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

3. Oshiat

Oshiat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 05, they are great bikes. Buy a decent set of wrap-around radiator guards and go ride.
  4. chilly_moose

chilly_moose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks it's not the Bike...
    I appreciate your help. But i have already googled about the bike...
    I was just looking for a more indepth look than what is posted on the search engines.
    maybe some owners feed back of things they like and dislike about it.
    But you already knew that since you know i'm lazy. and thanks for not having anything else better to do than reply to my post you dumb ass
    :rofl
  5. chilly_moose

chilly_moose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Oshiat
    people like you make these forums enjoyable.
    :clap
  6. loosesprocket

loosesprocket Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Join ktmtalk.com and go to the Big Bike Forum, RFS-Racing Four Strokes and you will find an endless amount of information. When you first open that forum look at the pinned: Evolution of the RFS motor and chassis. I have an 07 450 XC and love it.
  7. 400psi

400psi Cropdusting

Oddometer:
    Great bike.
    couple of basics that you will find or need to check out.
    1. dont idle the bike for any extended period of time. It will over heat.
    2. Jd jet kit works wonders.
    3. change the lower screen bolt to the aftermarket bolt that allows a socket to be used. Best $13 spent or whatever they cost
    4. set sag. 04's have a top out spring so correct preload is important. google "golden rule of sag"
    5. Chain tension. Take off shock. place swing arm in line with countershaft. allow for slight slack in chain. set axle blocks. put shock back on. this is your chain tension. too tight will cause wear to countershaft and csseal. It will look loose.
    6. Use 1.2 ltrs oil when filters replaced. 1 ltr when just changing oil
    7. put header guard by exhaust otherwise you'll hve a lot of holes in your pants

These are a couple of high points to help search for. as mentioned ktm talk is great for all this info as well as adv. There is tons of info about this bike. hopefully this will help get you looking in the right direction
    Enjoy
  8. 400psi

400psi Cropdusting

Oddometer:
    never mind about exhaust guard. I just looked at you pics
  9. buddoggin

buddoggin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:D:rofl
  10. GrizGirl

GrizGirl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to Google. Copy this as your search: site:advrider.com ktm 450 exc advrider.

Enjoy reading the information posted in the correct forums of ADV for this type of question. Pics, pics, pics (which, surprisingly, is a forum dedicated to PICTURES) is NOT the right place for this question and you will not find a whole lot of useful information here because you posted your question in the wrong place.

You're welcome.
  11. Crazy_Dave

Crazy_Dave Back'in it in

Oddometer:
    Locking lever update
  12. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Not in the Pics forum... off to Thumpers.
  13. chilly_moose

chilly_moose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome... You are the man! Thanks
  14. chilly_moose

chilly_moose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow... Good stuff here! Thanks a bunch!!!

Also thank u Grizgirl and crazy dave!
  15. StolenFant

StolenFant Life is good on this side of the grass Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oshiat,
    Can you elaborate on "decent" pair of wrap around radiator guards? I too picked up title for new to me 05 450EXC, and just removed tank. They are on there rather flimsily. Plenty of "billet", and ton's of other variations, Do any of them provide real protection to rad's? Once price gets close to $100, I can easily fab much more substantial guards WITH bracing.

16. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    There is a sticky thread at the top of Thumpers forum called "Bike Specific Index Thread". Open that and you'll find an RFS Index Thread which contains a selection of previous posts from Advrider on your bike. The "525 as an adventure bike" thread contains tons of information. Use the "search this thread" function to search for topics within it. As already wsuggested, the RFS forum at KTMTalk is the best source of information.

The Bullet Proof Designs guards are the strongest. Some people claim their design (which replaces the stock plastic louvres) reduces airflow. I've never noticed but if you are concerned you may be better off with one of the tubular designs from say Enduro Engineering, of course they only protect against a side impact. Go read up over at ktmtalk, must be hundreds of threads there on this topic, might need a six pack :D
  17. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City Utah (formerly Park City/Heber)
    The biggest and most important thing (besides oil change, making sure it's solid off the get go so there are no engine issues) is getting the suspension set up correctly for you. Not too much or too little sag for you at rider weight. I had to respring my bike front and rear for my weight, which I did myself only because the suspension was already fully gone through. Stock is good but aftermarket/ custom calving goes a long way. Suspension makes you ride better, have less fatigue, etc etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, hence the typos...
  18. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    i always gotta laugh when somebody who's kinda new posts something on these forums, and then some dork comes back like that!.... whatta moron, like if you got more posts yer' really somebody.... i read alotta bike forums, and that's pretty much everywhere.... and the funniest part is that alot of the info here and elsewhere is generally pretty bad, anyways....

the RFS motor you got is a beautiful thing though.... there's some good info on KTMTalk about jetting, really makes a difference when you get it right, just takes some time and patience.... i think w/your bike, it's just take off the tank, loosen the clamps, and then you can swivel the carb to get at the top(needle), and the bottom(pilot and main). it is w/my '06... have fun!....
  19. brinboise

brinboise Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats, I bought an '07 new and have never regretted it-it has been bulletproof. I agree with the other posters about KTMTALK forums.....a huge amount of info there.
    A couple of things I did right away was the cannistorectomy (look for it, AKA de-smog) a JD kit, a larger Clarke tank. The beast was a little twitchy on gravel but a Scott dampener took care of that. Important to set your sag-I couldn't get mine to co-operate and ended up re-valving and re-springing for my weight. A great bike!
  20. chilly_moose

chilly_moose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome... Thank you everybody for the great tips and suggestions. Looks like i gotta send the wife to the spa for the day. Tell grandma to watch the kids. Grab a six pack and start educating my self on this bike and start taking notes. Thanks again every one. Very helpful. :clap