938 Miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway (mostly pics)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rockinrog, Oct 14, 2010.

1. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    Great report and pics. Fall colors are beautiful, I need to make it out to that part of the country. Thanks for sharing.

My favorite.

2. stubmw

stubmw some what aloof

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rockinrog!!! I have done the SLD/BRP a few times. I think it's one of my most favorite places to ride. The last time I went It was during the middle of the week and start at first light and would be several hours before I would even see another vehical. Is beautiful motorcycle bliss.
    think you will reconize these locations. :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess that I am spoiled in that I live only @25 miles from about the middle of the parkway. It is my favorite ride area. Especially below Asheville and just above Roanoke.

Awesome RR! :clap
  4. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thx 450trail ... There is part of me that is jealous and part of me that is glad I have to travel to get there... kind of makes it feel special when I hit one of those Entering BRP signs.
  5. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes they bring back memories. It definately has a special spot in my heart as well.
  6. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thx Price Lake beautiful in the fall.
  7. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Dirt Road Explorer

Oddometer:

Im glad to see that the weather on your trip of the Parkway was better than mine in late Sept. But heck any trip on the Parkway can't be too bad. :D

[​IMG][​IMG]
  8. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been lucky I guess, two out of the three times I was on the parkway the weather was GREAT!!!....knock on wood
  9. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report. We did the end to end this past summer, including Skyline Drive. Took the auto train from Orlando to Lorton, VA, rode over to Front Royal and ran all 600 + miles, 2 up!! Even did a couple side trips down fire roads. The whole thing is such a fantastic trip. Did the Cherahola across to the south, road the north foothills back up to Bristol VA crossed back over the mountains and road the south foothills!! 2900 miles and ten days by the time we got back to south FLA. Was a great ride and one of these days I might finish the ride report I have started!!!:norton
  10. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thx flrider1..If you finish it post the link, I'd love to read it.
    I am thinking about taking the auto train from va to florida in Feb and riding down to key west and basically just enjoy warmer weather for a week. Call it the I Hate Winter Tour. An auto train tips to pass on?
  11. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics Rocknrog. Glad you had some great weather.
    Humble suggestion: with that bike, next time you are down here, head off the parkway onto any random crossing gravel road you encounter. I don't know if there are good gpx files to guide you on these roads, but the national geographic trails illustrated maps are GREAT.
    http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_virginia
    I'm a new rider with an F650gs twin, and I have no troubles riding these roads skill-wise. No traffic, great scenery - waterfalls, creeks, vistas, wildlife, campsites, and close to great little restaurants in the valleys.
  12. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The process for the train was very simple and they are very efficient. I would watch them tie the bike down, kept me from worrying about it. Keep in mind that you will need to haul onto the train everything thats not locked up. We had everything in three bags inside the panniers and top case so it was easy, but the riding gear takes up a lot of room. Locked my helmet in the top case but had to cart hers on the train. Spring for at least the roomette, coach would have sucked I think. It has two seats that face each other then they fold down to into a bunk with a drop down bunk in the overhead. They spoil ya pretty good, each car has an attendant, they turn down the bed and everything for ya. Meals were awesome. It is well worth the money and for the limited time we had it allowed us a lot more time to play up in the mountains. Basically covered overnight what would have taken almost three days to ride. The link below, No planes, 1 Train, 2up, is the start of the RR. Couple of pics from the train are there. Give me a shout, PM or email if you head this way. You can't ride to Key West without being within 3 miles of my house!!! I am 3 miles east of the intersection of Palm Drive and US-1 when you come down off the Florida Turnpike. Its the last stop light before you leave mainland Florida and head into the Keys. We are thinking about an early February trip to Key West ourselves. We go very regularly!!
  13. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on this. Jump off on the fire roads, they are good to ride even two up. Looks of cool things that not everyone gets to see on the standard BRP ride!!
  14. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to wish all of you a Very Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!!! Ride safe and ride often.

Roger
  15. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rog still riding along, and enjoying it. Merry Christmas to you to. Many Happy rides in the upcoming New Year. Riff
  16. 10-95

10-95 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics!

I did that area in '05. Hope to ride it again some day but there's so many places in the US to see!
  17. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes there are. I would like to make it out West to the see the rockies..Yellowstone etc,,,,What's nice about the BRP is that its close enough that I can do it in a week or less if needed. Given the same weather conditions, I would do it again today if I could. Looking at the trip pics kind of makes me feel homesick.
  18. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat as you, but I managed to sign myself up for a conference in Charlotte NC next April and plan leaving a little early and riding the whole BRP, maybe hit the Dragon and the Cherola Skyway, then head east.

I might hit some weather in April, but I'll risk it.

I think my better half is getting a little pissed with my trip planning and her not being able to go, but maybe in 17 years we'll do the trip with our matching jetpacks.
  19. Cliff-77

Cliff-77 Lost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed looking at ur pics.i've riden the BRP a few times over the yrs.but took very few pics.The mill pic.is my favorite.I hope to be in that area again soon.
  20. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    They claim the mill is the most photographed thing on the prkwy. They even have an example there where another state used it on a tourist postcard claiming it for their own.