Should I sell my 2012 Goldwing and buy a new GSW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by treg, Apr 26, 2013.

1. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New member here. I have a 12' Goldwing with 2000 miles on it. I don't really do any touring. I do 200 mile day rides on weekends and local town riding. No passengers. I only bought it for the comfort.

I went and test rode the new GSW and liked it. I used to ride dirt bikes in my younger days. I only got to ride it about 20 minutes. I guess my question is, how comfy would the GSW be on those all day rides? Getting off the wing on to the GSW, it felt like a dirt bike. I just can't decide to make the move. I know I really don't use the wing the way it should be used. But it is definitely comfy. Plus with the GSW I could do some trail riding. I do have a friend that has an 08 GS ADV. Are many of you guys just riding the GS for touring? Can you make them as comfy as my wing, heated seat, risers, etc? How does the GS ADV compare to the GS? I know the ADV water cooled is coming next year. My dealer can order me the GSW, but wont be in till June. Should I wait and see what the new ADV looks like? Thanks for any advise!
  2. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are a ride to the next Dairy Queen on the interstate kind of Gold Wing guy then you won't be happy with the GS. If you like to get out and ride the county and backroads then get the GS.

Send me a PM. I have a riding buddy that is trying to sell a 2005 LT and a 2008 Gold Wing so he can get a 2012 Gold Wing. We have tried to get him help but he won't listen :rofl
  3. tjt94

tjt94 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use mine for nothing but touring. It allows me to tour places that include bad roads and gravel though. I typically ride 400 - 700 mile days very comfortably. I am 6'4", 235 lbs, and have an 01 GS. I did lower the pegs for leg comfort and have a Russell Day Long saddle. Last summer I rode to Honduras and back in a month (7400 miles) and this summer will be doing a 10K mile trip over about 7 weeks. All this on a $6000 bike. Over the time I have owned the bike, I have replaced a couple of turn signal bulbs. I also had the ABS rebuilt for $250. It has been the most dependable and cheapest bike I have ever owned. Trade your Wing.
  4. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely not a dairy queen guy or interstate. Love performance and am just wanting to be comfy on the longer rides. Seems a lot of guys are touring with these bikes, so they must be ok.

PM is coming Hammick
  5. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what I like to hear, I just need a little pushing! :nod
  6. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have owned an '07, 09 and '11 GSA. Best touring bike BMW makes IMHO and I have owned and toured on R1200RT and K1200LT.

I had a some issues with my '07, a couple issues with my '09 and my '11 had zero issues.
  7. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have owned several Goldwings and as far as comfort and pavement eating it is the best period. However I wanted to be able to hit some gravel and dirt too so I sold the Wing and bought the R1200GS. It now has a Russell Day Long seat on it so it is comfortable for long trips too. Is it as comfortable as the Wing, not even close. Just depends on what you want and how you plan to ride. I am very happy with my 2012 R1200GS Triple Black but it would never replace the Goldwing for touring, not that it can't do it, its just no as comfortable. BUT it is also 350lbs+ lighter. I like that part a bunch.

Here is my wing and new Triple black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is a pic of wing I would be selling. I'm going for another test ride of the GSW on Tues. The wing is starting to get a little boring.

[​IMG]
  9. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    That 'Wing is beautiful. I would not sell it. you will lose a lot of money, but more importantly, you will lose most of the comfort. I had a '95 1500 Goldwing, and it was the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. I sold it to a local member of a Goldwing forum, not because I didn't like it, but because of health related issues. It was a bit on the heavy side for me, and I can no longer ride long distances, even on the most comfortable bike in the world. I am now down to a 750 cruiser and a couple of scooters to putt around locally on. I also have a very expensive built from the ground up XT225 ($1000 worth of suspension alone) It is currently in storage.

I have never ridden a GS (other than Suzuki) or any other BMW, but I can't imagine them being at all comfortable. They all have that awful low bar rearset peg riding position. The Goldwing has an upright riding position and the most comfortable seat in the world.

And what is wrong with the DQ thing? I got into that when I had my Goldwing, but it also usually involved a long ride. Only difference is with a BMW you will have to switch to Starbucks.
  10. OldHippy

OldHippy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just sold my 2007 Wing and bought a 2001 1150 GS just this morning. I had traded in a 1150 to buy the Wing and really regretted it. Yes the Wing is very comfortable and has the best wind protection of any bike but I love riding the GS even for 500 mile days. That is one nice looking Goldwing you have there.

Good luck with your decision.
  11. DownunderBrian

DownunderBrian B2

Oddometer:
    Before I decided to get a GS (2012) I went to Eaglerider.com and found a special for one day rental with unlimited miles... it was about $80 or something I think.

I got to the store at early in the morning, before they opened, and rode the ass off that bike until close time. Can't remember how many miles I did, but I rode all day on freeways, by-ways, twisties, mountains, etc. I did the same thing with a Wing about a month later.

I decided that the GS's additional (amazing) cornering and braking ability was a winner for me. The Wing is good, but the GS is just so composed around corners on rough road surfaces, and I ride a lot of secondary (or tertiary!) roads, so that was a big thing for me.

On the freeway the Wing had the edge in comfort, but reading posts on this website I've added winglets, windscreen, seat, pegs and risers to my GS and am now very happy with its long-day comfort.

Plus the GS obviously gives you some dirt road capability that's beyond what you could do on a Wing. AND... having dropped my last bike a few times attempting stupid things (riding over a mountain pass covered in a foot of snow...d'oh) I decided that the GS would handle those oops moments much better than the Wing.

I plan to ride the GS for a number of years and then in my "retirement" years go to a Wing (maybe via a Harley... I guess we should all own one once in our lives??).... By that age I expect my off-road, hard cornering days will be behind me.

By the way, really nice looking Wing. Keep both bikes if you can afford it.
  12. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a beautiful Goldwing!
  13. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't really afford both. Wife would divorce me. Yea, I just got it the way I want it, but don't ride it much. I think if I could get off the road a little, I would be happier. Also the wing is a little cramped for me. I like the GS cause it fit me better. Would still want some risers, different seat and maybe some footpeg lowering kit. Is anyone going to come out with some kind of highway pegs(cool looking ones) incase I want to stretch out my legs for the GSW?
  14. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would it be worth waiting for the GS ADV watercooled next year? What is the advantage or disadvantage of the GS and the ADV?
  15. Paul_R_Canada

Paul_R_Canada Still Upright

Oddometer:
    I had a wing as well, comfortable of yes, but I ended up nick naming it "the couch" and it was about that exciting to drive as well. :D

I'm not knocking it, its great machinery, just not for me, I went back to a Harley and tomorrow I pickup a new to me GS, I can't wait. :clap

From the sound of it your ready to move, do it and enjoy..
  16. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take this for what it is worth as I have never owned a Gold Wing but I cannot wrap my arms around how the Gold Wing only has a 200 mile range.
  17. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it only gets about 35mpg
  18. Nitzo

Nitzo Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  19. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    I usually ride a GS, My uncle has a Goldwing. When we switch bikes, I find the Wings ergonomics feel cramped. The handelbars feel like they're in my lap. Sitting in the still air pocket of the Wing is no fun in warm weather either. For comfort, at anything other then a long cool stretch of interstate, My pic is the GS by a mile.
  20. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And also being 6'1" the pegs are to high for me. You can't lower them cause you will drag to easily.