Kenda's new Big Block Tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bigdave-gs, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've run Kenda's on my DRZ for years. Nice tires, well made, wear pretty well and very reasonably priced.
  2. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

It'll be good to see some competition for the TKC, maybe the prices will be kept in check better.:dunno As for the Shinko's, I still have the radials on my GS and with 4K on them, so far so good...:D
  3. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think there's lots of competition for the TKC-80 and there should be as it is an easy target. I've used them in the past and will never buy them again. I am not going to pay over $200 for a rear tire that lasts 5000km. Sort of like Levi 501 jeans - they're expensive, they're nice, they fit and they do the job, but you can buy jeans for $25 and still have all of the above qualities that last longer for half the price. The TKC 80s is just that - the cool thing to have but not necessarily the best and they only work really well at the first 10% of their life.

These Kendas seem nice and I would definitely be interested in these if they come in at the same price range at the made in Europe Mitas E-09 Dakar tires I have using. They certainly can't be any worse than a Korean made TKC-80.
  4. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well said. Looking forward to trying them as well. Your lucky, for 2 reasons; 1. TKC's are real cheap where you live. ( Closer to $300here..)
    2. I only seem to be able to get 3000km out of mine.

Bloody rip off.
  5. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    They sure look nice. Based on my experience in the wet with a K270 rear on my DR350, I'd be more than a little wary. Look forward to hearing some reports from people who've seen some varied riding with them.
  6. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
  7. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:
    I really dig TKC's, but if you look at the price for a set 110 / 80 - 19 and 150 / 70 - 17 - it's 271 bucks.

To me, that's outrageous. From other pricing I've seen, though, for the big blocks, they're right there at the same pricing ....... :huh

The pricing on the Kenda's that I saw was from another thread on the tire.

I'd totally go with some Mitas if I could get them, but the only place I know of to order is from gnarlyparts.ca and they don't always have the correct sizes in stock.

In fact, I'd love to go with some Heidi K60, but yet again they're having issues with their 150 / 70 - 17s that they are not available yet.

On a good note, it's nice to see the swmoto carries a 140 / 80 - 17. That'd be nice for my AT.

At present the only the tire I've been happy with for pricing, is the D606 for my 640, For 150 some bucks for an entire set, I don't care that they don't last too long.

G.
  8. Killa Meter

Killa Meter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Max pressure for both tyres is 36, may not be enough for the rear loaded up for a long trip.
  9. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any new news on these?
  10. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.

bout the same for a TKC, no?
  11. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I'll try to call PartsUnlimited and see what the story is. I need tires and hell......if the price is decent, I'll give them a try. I've tried most everything else and the heidi's will NEVER get here. lol.
  12. Special Ed

Special Ed 2007 R1200GS

Oddometer:
    I moderate a Suzuki cruiser website, and I was one of the first to try the Kenda Kruz tires 6 years ago. Initially, there was a chorus of "if the tires are inexpensive, they are crap" from members.

I had fantastic results with them, and so did just about everyone who has used them. Now, it's one of the most recommended tires on the forum.

Kenda is okay in my book!

Ed
  13. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed that procycle has them listed on their website with prices, but doesn't say if they are actually shipping yet. They had a December date for expected availability.

http://www.procycle.us/main/tires.htm
  14. Mr.Efficiency

Mr.Efficiency Adventure Wuss

Oddometer:
    And they are no bargain. $250 vs $271 for the TXC's from SW Moto. For 20 bucks, I'm keepin the TKCs!
  15. Disco Dean

Disco Dean Long timer

Oddometer:

But they might actually be better than TKC's...
  16. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to a bb with some folks who actually have purchased the Kenda's and some shots of the new K60 Scout Heidi and a ride report on the Heidi. http://www.bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/tyre-bargain-back-topic

If the Heidi's are coming, I will buy them when they get here. Until then if the Kendas are in the states, I'll give them a shot.
  17. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    The price at Procycle for the Kendas is $240 (pair) vs. $356 for the TKCs.
    So that would be about 2/3 the cost, apples to apples.

I'll wait to see what other places put the prices at before ruling them out.
  18. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    I am all ears..you ride like me....so if they work??? I hav already bought a touarance for my rear to run with my TKC front:deal
  19. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah and I just bought a set of Anakee 2's before Xmas that I haven't mounted yet. Trying to get those last few miles out of my Conti Trail Attacks. 7900 miles so far and hope to hit 8k. Gonna swap both at the same time. Front has more life, but I'd rather add some offroad grip.

You all should have the kenda's all tested and worn out by the time I'm ready for the next set of rubber. Or the Heid/Scouts will finally be here....
  20. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Well ....Rusty and Ghost and BigDave, and everybody else watching , somebody had to be the idiot who went first......and wouldn't ya know it? It was me again. :D

We know TKC's can't handle our Texas broken glass and rocks paved-ish roads for shit. We know Tourances and Anakees are like ice-skating on caliche. I talked to Blackdog and they say the mid-January Heidi rumor was just a rumor. He was thinking April. Maybe. So....eff it. Might as well try the Big Blocks on the Big Ugly.

I emailed swmoto and they were just updating their website showing the new tires. For some reason my swmoto order says "pending" but assuming "pending" doesn't mean "ain't gonna happen" we'll know what they are like in a few days. BTW, $215.90. Shipped. :evil