Flinders Ranges Classic VIII - 2015

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aussie Trev, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Valleyam

Valleyam South Australian Tiger resistance group

Oddometer:
    Angaston, Barossa Valley, South Australia.
    I know it bloody awful isn't it:lol3
  2. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure he doesnt freeload his way into a free meal.........

Make sure he brings a bag of sliced onions or something

Its the Aussi way

[emoji1]
  3. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    He can probably have the lamb chop that Kipo's not going to be eating now!!:evil
  4. Aussie Jase

Aussie Jase Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys,

Stony has kindly offered to fill up to a few 20 liter jerry cans of petrol for us and secure at Warraweena should we need them.
    If anyone wants to use this service please let me know so I can forward our needs to Stony.
    Cheers

Jase
  5. Valleyam

Valleyam South Australian Tiger resistance group

Oddometer:
    Angaston, Barossa Valley, South Australia.
    Thats pretty good of him Jase, Thanks for the ground work you've been doing also. Whats the route being taken and what sort of mileage do you think we would cover if we are doing this track. Sounds like a great day out from Ango. Cheers Andy
  6. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    I'm sort of hoping this Copper Track thing happens on the Saturday. Suits me to do that and then flick back to Ango to get the BBQ organised and underway.

I'm sure everyone doing it appreciates your efforts to have this available for us Jase. Some extra fuel will help, but like I've said, I'll be carrying up to 40 litres and a syphon hose on board. No need to keep up with the mini-tankers though, 'cause if they run out they'll be waiting for us!! :lol3

Got a few coming from interstate and SA country who are talking about doing this with us. Could be 20 or so.

Just over 3 weeks!
  7. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    So, just over three weeks to go.

If anyone is travelling from interstate or is heading to the Classic for the first time, I'll just add a few notes that may assist you.

You can buy all fuels at Angorichina Village

There is a fully stocked bottle shop, with spirits, beers and wines

It is a mixture of a corner store, mini mart and also has quality frozen meats etc

There is a fully equipped tyre changing facility which we are allowed to use

You can purchase tyres and tubes (I take some second hand tyres with me in case of emergencies)

Mobile phones do not work. There is a card operated public phone on the premises. There will be a small number of private satellite phones up there.

The nearest internet and Telstra mobile coverage is at Parachilna (15 kms) and best experienced with a cake and coffee combo!

Friday night there is a Pizza 'get together' night at the Blinman Hotel. Ango Village runs buses there for our convenience - small cost to charity.:thumb

Saturday night is a communal BBQ, Trophies and 'other awards' night and usually a little entertainment thrown in. That cost is $25 per head for all you can eat, the trophies and your stickers - all payable when booking in. Not to be missed.:freaky All profit to 'Bradley's Place' a childhood cancer support charity.

All other cooking etc is at your own arrangements.

At this stage, PBee is offering to lead a contingent to collect used railway sleepers - probably on the Thursday......if you can help please let him know. The poor bugga has a hand injury and cannot ride but is coming along to help out... :clap

There is a hospital at Leigh Creek and one at Hawker....neither seem to have a resident doctor available. That being the case it is not normally your cost to utilise the RFDS but it helps to make sure you have appropriate ambulance cover.

All bikes must be registered to ride the roads and public tracks around the Flinders.

Stubby Holders are available via the Oz Vendors site on ADV.

It can get wet ..............very wet!

Did anyone mention the rocks??

Please PM me if you need anything else.

NO RIDES ARE ORGANISED BY THE FLINDERS RANGES CLASSIC GROUP. WE ONLY FACILITATE THE PREMISES FOR THE GET-TOGETHER. ALL OTHER ACTIVITIES ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK. PLEASE WORK OUT RETRIEVAL AND RECOVERY ARRANGEMENTS WITH YOUR MATES.
  8. Aussie Jase

Oddometer:
    Roughly 100 ks from Ango to Warraweena and probably around roughly another 150 ks back via the Copper Track.

If adding in a round trip to Mt Gill you would need to allow another 50 to 55 ks (Mt Gill will chew the most fuel).

To ensure my my recent shoulder injury gets a reasonable chance to heal I will be "Riding With Care"

As per post by Aussie Trev below it may be my only way of keeping up :D

Cheers Jase
  9. Aussie Jase

Oddometer:
    I highly recommend Ambulance cover for yourself - the Leigh Creek Hospital has an on call Doctor that resides in the Town (rotational basis between a few Docs) which can incur a call out Fee way in excess of the Medicare Scheduled rate.

If you come off in a big way Ambulance retrieval team costs will be huge and if you are riding a KTM 640 Adventurer I will happily retrieve your bike and cover my costs by salvaging the surviving parts :rofl

Yeah still gets me how a paddock will support 400 head of sheep on 10 tonnes of rolly rocks and no feed - they breed the woolies tough up here (if they survive the first year).
    Cheers Jase
  10. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    All good advice Jase.

I forgot to mention that we'll have three emergency trained doctors with us Friday afternoon/night, Saturday day/night and Sunday morning. They will have a mini survival kit with them. They will have doctor uniforms on (BMW Riding gear) They like Coppers Pale Ale.

As one bloke (Chris) said a few years ago...."that's the first time I've ever been attended to by a doctor who was standing there in his jocks with a beer in one hand" :lol3
  11. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Just measured it on Mapsource Jase. It's under 100 kms to Warraweena, the website and maps has the Copper Track about 80 kms from Warraweena to the Village. Add a few kms if returning via Blinman to wash out some dust. If you add the Mt Gill option I guess that runs out at around 250 all up.

A couple of us have fuel bladders and I'd be happy for a mini tanker to take mine to Mt Gill if they wanted.....6-7 litres.
  12. The Cougar

The Cougar Barry Dawson's Twin

Oddometer:

My offer still stands for a six pack and a bag of Mandarins for your bike Jase:D
  13. Crofty

Crofty Life's a Garden, DIG IT!

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, i'll firm things up sooner rather than later. Just got my redundancy bullet fired my way on Thursday, so it appears i will have time off.............:freaky
  14. Aussie Jase

Oddometer:
    Scotty,
    I'm still considering it - I could probably trade the bag of mandarins for a BMW and walk away with a bike and beers to celebrate - what's your old bike doing these days :evil
    Cheers and thanks for your offer of charity
    Jase
  15. emuooz

emuooz Emu

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to this ride doesn't bother us what day we go what ever suits everyone......:D

I think we should have just enough fuel for 250 odd Ks if we go steady thanks for your help with this ride Jase much appreciated Cheers Emu
  16. Rumbleguts

Rumbleguts Methane producer

Oddometer:
    Weather? I recall Trev posted a long range forecast a while back indicating possible rain on the Sat. I just had a look at the Elders weather site and the long range forecast there shows a low chance of rain on the Thurs & Mon. (other days fine).
    Anyone else know of a reasonably accurate weather forecasting site to confirm?
  17. dunc

dunc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    It'll be fine Dean. Dunc's on the money with that link....but it can all change in an instant up there....as we all know, and found out two years ago.....:huh

I'll be taking my wet gear and might even put a new Karoo (T) on the back just for some extra grip in any slippery stuff.
  19. dunc

dunc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ya mean you cant trust the weather man forecasts:lol3:lol3
  20. Rumbleguts

Rumbleguts Methane producer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was there when the river flowed at the village and was amazing.
    I don't own any wet weather pants so I'm going to have to resort to some garbage bags and gaffer tape if it comes in wet for the rides.:lol3