Beta RR /RS 4T enduro thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RICHXHELL, Feb 11, 2008.

1. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    If I may be so bold I think a thread for Beta related info might be a good idea as a few of us have or are thinking about them. Perhaps then some resource may build. There's short threads here, on TT and elsewhere but the info is patchy.

I don't actually know what I am talking about when it comes to thumpers :augie so I am hoping for incoming faq and ideas although perhaps collecting info here I find out as well as what others know may be a help generally.

A Beta sign in thread if you may :D

Some resources:

The official website for Betamotor and for the RR 4T.

The Beta RR 4T Enduro information source, tech, how-to, cross referencing...very useful. Looked after by Scud.

American Beta the US importer.

Beta UK , Lampkins UK importer (mostly trials bikes but enduro too).

Thumpertalk, Exotics section a few threads.

Of course the engines are KTM and so far it looks like they are a straight bolt in so no Beta specific issues at least in the motor department. So KTM info directly relevant.

What is this thread about? These, in 400, 450 and 525 cc :D

[​IMG]

The RR above. The RS is the same but has road kit on installed.
    sausageking222 likes this.
  2. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    My 07 400RR

[​IMG]
  3. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    First post about oil :lol3

This is the 400 RFS engine in mine and my dealer is recommending Motrex Cross Power 4T 10W50 fully synth.

The manual is contradictory in places and recommended Motrex Cobra 15W40 for one, which does not seem to be available any more, so I am going with the 10W50.

I know oil is one of those emotive things:lurk
  4. kenaroo

kenaroo I am because i ride

Oddometer:
    Remember it's a KTM motor. tons of experience with those over at KTM talk.

I'd stick to 10 w 50 as well if I were you
  5. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Ok, so just starting to ahve a fiddle about with the 400 now.

Just swapped over from the Beta handguards to Acerbis Rallypro wrap arounds.

I took a chance on the Renthal fatbar kit, and it does fit on the black Betamotor branded bars made by Reikon on the 07. Unsure what bars are on the pre-07 models. Trim to end of throttle tube required and bit of padding against abrasion of clutch line on guard metalwork seems a good idea as this needed rerouting slightly.

Also while in that region worth checking the wiring to the starter, mine had chaffed where it had been slipped under the bolt attaching the starter unit.

[​IMG]
  6. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
  7. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    The clutch lever on the 07 is an AJP long lever old type and the brake a Nissin compatible, short from stock I think.

The long clutch is a bit of a nuisance with wrap-around guards. I am sure many types fit but these aftermarket ones for the Beta trials bikes certainly do. Adjuster screws are slightly better on the stock levers but swap over.

http://www.trialcast.co.uk/betalevers.htm

I guess the news is that something pretty bog-standard swaps on ok. Probably a complete unrevelation to most :lol3
  8. PozoRider

PozoRider Just Ride

Oddometer:
    Here are a few fotos of my 08 525 rs.

[​IMG]

IMS Tank:
    [​IMG]

Enduro Engineering Hand Guards:
    [​IMG]

GPR Under Bar Mount:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ogzer707 likes this.
  9. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Neat. You are right the EE handguards do seem to fit on there very well.

:thumb
  10. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    I found the KTM 400 RFS clutch saver bolts right on but there are issues (which Pozorider pointed out). More about this add-on a bit later.

I was surprised to find no chain bar though.
  11. CrankyCoyote

CrankyCoyote scud no more

Oddometer:
    I've got Cycra Pro-Bends on mine; get the KTM parts and everything "just works".

I use Rotella-T Synthetic 5w-40 as the engine oil. None of the nasty car friction modifiers to mess up your clutch, full synthetic, seems to work pretty well, and it's less than $10/qt.

You guys mind if I add your bike pictures to the gallery at http://www.betamotorcycles.net? Credited however you want, of course. :D
  12. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Good to see you here on this thread Scud, and use my pic certainly. I will get some more up as soon as I can actually get out on the thing. :(:

You have email as well :deal
  13. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beta has really stepped it up for 08. The bikes look to be more refined, a new hard parts catalog and more dealers.

MCNut
  14. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    I have been after a specific clutch saver but no luck over here. For the US STR are producing them, American Beta (Pozorider, thanks) tell me.

So I have used the appropriate KTM one, for me for the 400 RFS and Scud tells me he used the 525 one which also fits. None of this unexpected as they are KTM lumps.

However, the Beta's do not have a chain bar, and so a few washers are required to pack out the gap where the chain bar would be on the top right mount point. Seems fine. The sprocket cover will fit right back on, although it does protrude a mm or two more than without the cover. I guess it could be trimmed a little to fit round the saver but I havent worried as yet as it refuses to bend back in tight as I obviously deofrmed it a little slipping the cover in behind it rather than taking it off.

Only snag is it is orange :evil :lol3

[​IMG]

I may consider making a chain bar, unless anyone knows if the KTM one bolts right one, unlikely I think due to frame differences.

Edit..I have noticed that there has been some contact between the chain and the cover, they are quite close. Anyway I guess the chain will soon wear the soft ally if it is that close. After some use it seems fine.

Edit 2, the plastic sproket cover is actually very thick where the chain bar would be on the equivalent KTM, so may not need one really.
  15. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Some pics as of yesterday (before I mullered the front rim trying to change the tyre :(:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D
  16. reconsmr

reconsmr Banned

Oddometer:
    What is MSRP on these, we have no dealer network within about 1000 miles???
  17. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for the US (pozorider would be able to), but in the UK they are a good few hundred cheaper than the equivalent KTM, there's a significant margin. But second hand they dont seem to hold value like the KTM does, so can be a decent bargain after the first owner takes the hit.

Edit American Beta are showing $8399 MSRP no idea how that compares to a KTM 450 EXC in US
    http://www.americanbeta.com/dlrindexsend_pg_nv_veh_63869-2008.htm
  18. reconsmr

reconsmr Banned

Oddometer:
    WOW, for 84k I could buy every KTM at the dealership!?!:eek1
  19. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, typo :lol3

In the UK I have heard they will go for £5k cash , I think MSRP on the road (taxes etc incl) was about £5.2k
  20. Adanac rider

Adanac rider Washed up Jack of all trades . Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about the 4.0 Alp any info out there?
    Magus likes this.