The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    We rode the route from Comox Lake to Sayward without issue on Saturday... From Sayward to Winter Harbour is open and there should be no issue to get from Youbou to Port Alberni... The questionable section remains the Alberni to Comox lake... The latest info I have is that Timberwest will allow access on weekends and holidays during daylight hrs for hunting season... You need to sign in or out at the gate... You could always take the alternate route from Alberni to Cumberland along 19A...
  2. georgedaman

georgedaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would 've been the coolest thing I've ever done..but im just trying to move the bike from the puddle to the lake..as AltRoute said
  3. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started following this thread back at its inception. I had stopped following it in the late winter of 2013, and just now got caught up. Wow. Friggin’ wow. Fantastic job all and sundry involved with this living project. Thank you everyone involved from the initial creators, the regional outriders busting brush, the GPS gurus and this first season’s trial trail trekkers. You should nominated for some sort of civic award. Seroiusly. You have facilitated access to some of Canada’s most remote, scenic and least known treasures to Canadians and international overlanders. The TCAT has been added to my bucket list. I have the feeling whenever I finally get around to it, it will remain freshly up to date.

I’m curious to find out the reason why Signal Hill was chosen for the route’s eastern most official terminus and not Cape Spear? http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/nl/spear/index.aspx

While the view from Cabot Tower is a great panoramic photo op, the major land mark for the City of St. John’s and not to be missed if you are in the area if its not too foggy, it seems to me the eastern most point in North America would be the logical starting point. It’s only a difference of 19 km and 24 minutes—insignificant on an 18,000 plus km route. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Cape+Spear,+St.+John's,+NL,+Canada&daddr=Signal+Hill+National+Historic+Site,+Signal+Hill+Road,+St.+John's,+NL,+Canada&hl=en&sll=47.500545,-52.672546&sspn=0.150995,0.308647&geocode=FdYd1QId7Qvd_CFDFs5y4PgPnSmJZipxi5gMSzFDFs5y4PgPnQ%3BFZXc1QIdCiTc_CH-f-oaNljZoyl9tFjaz6MMSzH-f-oaNljZow&oq=Signal&mra=ls&t=m&z=13

Cripes. Someone please PM me how to make neater/more compact looking links.

The road out there used to be a lovely stretch of twisty pavement—at least it was 25 years ago on a GSX-R. The National Historic Site lighthouse would also make for a dandy backdrop for the requisite photo at the start or finish of the TCAT.

Was this a St. John’s Townie-centric decision, or have the crowd up in Shea Heights started doing moto-jackings?:wink:

Where does the T’rail start these days—somewhere near the old CN Station in town, or further out? :ear
  4. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I assisted a couple of riders doing the TCAT and took them to the Cape as it is the most easterly point of North America. It is a standard destination for all riders/tourists headed east/west.
    The Trailway officially starts at the Railway/Coastal museum which is the old St John's Railway Station but it is designated a walking trail (no motorized vehicles) until you get to Paradise. From there to Holyrood it is legal but not viable to ride because the Trailway crosses sideroads every few hundred yards and is stop and go constantly. A PITA.
    As a general rule we street ride to Holyrood and get on just past the beach and head west from there.
  5. kiffernathan

kiffernathan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sign exists due to the major flooding that occurred in this part of Alberta in late June 2013. Before that it was a good washboard gravel road for about 4 or 5 km to the Ptolemy Pass trail head. As Lav1200 said, we rode through here (past this sign) in August 2013. The creek that used to be next to the road was now running over the road, which is essentially a rocky creek bed now, but it was only an inch or two deep. It was a pretty easy ride - wouldn't be much problem for someone with a bit of riding experience even on a loaded big bike. The tough part would be Ptolemy Pass, which had some DEEP water holes in it. Don't drive into them without checking first - we had 2 drowned bikes on that route in August.

The Inn on the Border is a bit further west (maybe 1 km or so) from where you took this pic, as indicated in the one screen shot I saw. You are not supposed to ride through there, as it is private property. However, it wouldn't be too rude to ride up to their place, take off your helmet, explain what you're doing, and ask if they will let you go through. If they say no, then just head back.

That said, while the above photo says the road is closed, it is reasonably easy to get through on any bike.

Glad y'all enjoyed the ride!
  6. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Who's thinking of riding the TCAT from east to west starting the 2nd week of July 2014?
  7. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh

How's that Valkyrie gonna handle the technical sections?
  8. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    prepping the klr as well my boy, you never know:clap
  9. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    So who will be the first person to Mtn Bike the TCAT? if we do some crowd sourcing to cover my lost wages and health care...or if I can become a Canadian citizen for the health care...I'll volunteer
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    If all goes to plan I should be leaving NFLD to Labrador the first week of July....
  11. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    You can borrow my ID to cover health care...lost wages...well..your on your own there :D
  12. kiffernathan

kiffernathan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty good time. If you get to the Prairies late July or early August it is usually much drier than June. June is the rainiest month of the year in SK and AB.

If you go much later than that you start to run the risk of freezing/snow in the mountains. IMHO there is about a 1 to 2 month window to get through SK/AB with reasonable weather - unless you like riding mud and rain and snow.

Hope to see you in S'toon next summer!:freaky
  13. bwokentoof

bwokentoof Pollyanna Man

Oddometer:
    Already posted this in RR but I guess it's valid here as well

http://youtu.be/yF-1csHVGcI

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yF-1csHVGcI" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    DKCJ likes this.
  14. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    :thumb

15. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    :clap
  16. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    :clap
  17. WHALENTJ

WHALENTJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That girls a keeper.
  18. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great video!! I loved the look of triumph in your wife's eyes after making her way through the washout.:clap I'm looking forward to spending some time on the TCAT next year. :D
    Regards....justjeff
  19. Trane Francks

Trane Francks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr. Toof, sir, that was fantabulous. :clap
  20. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer: