Bazzaz Performance Z-Fi MX and Z-AFM for the KTM 990 Adventure Review

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by the octopus, Jul 19, 2011.

1. the octopus

the octopus The Chef

Oddometer:
    Well, I think it's about time I write a review of the products I had Chris at Bazzaz fit to my 990.

First, a little background on Bazzaz. They are one of the few manufacturers of piggy-back systems that are actually worth using (in my opinion). Plus, they have a tried and true auto-tune setup that is utilized by racers (both on and off-road) all over the world. Though modifying the ECM directly is always my preferred plan of action, the ease with which the auto-tune system works makes it a serious consideration for most normal riders. More serious track bikes can make use of their quickshift and traction control features, but for those of us on the 990 Adventure, the Z-Fi MX is a perfectly acceptable unit (though it lacks gear and cylinder trim).

Now to the good part: what Bazzaz put on my bike.

The Z-Fi MX:

[​IMG]

The Z-AFM:

[​IMG]

In addition to the Z-Fi MX and the Z-AFM (plus AF sensor), Bazzaz built a plug-and-play harness, and included O2 eliminators and an SAS pump eliminator. I'm not sure if the latter two will be included in the final kit.

Installation is simple, and instructions come with the units. The Z-AFM's AF sensor is placed in the front O2 bung, since the front cylinder runs leaner than the rear. The Z-Fi MX and Z-AFM are powered by the ABS wiring under the seat, but do not delete ABS functionality.

An initial map was built for my 990R with FMF Q4 Ti exhausts on the dyno in the shop. This map will be supplied with all the Z-Fi MX units sold for the 990 Adventures.

Here is the HP and torque dyno map comparing stock the new map:

[​IMG]

Here is the AF map (which I think is much more impressive):

[​IMG]

Auto-tuning is accomplished by turning on logging via the Z-AFM and related sensor, then accepting the changes it suggests for specific regions of the map in the Bazzaz software. This can be done on a dyno or a wide open stretch of pavement.

Now to the important part: how does it run? The truth is that I'm not a huge proponent of removing O2 sensors on any bike. With that said, the bike is so incredibly smooth it's unbelievable. Hard to say whether the power and torque increase is noticeable, but I could care less about that (never been a numbers queen). I've ridden the bike at sea level and then gained 4000 feet in elevation, and the bike has performed well in both environments. The powerband is usable both on and off-road. I also dumped the bike real hard (and broke my foot) on a ride a couple weeks ago, and the units still work great.

My only issue is that every now and then, the bike shuts down every now and then mid-idle after first start in the morning. My bike did this a couple times before the Bazzaz units were installed, but it has become more noticeable since.

I'm not sure what the price is going to be on the final kit, but I think it will be a good solution for many riders. The auto-tune functionality will allow each rider to customize a map to his or her bike, and his or her environment without needing to buy additional datalogging equipment and analysis software. That, alone, is an amazing feature.
  2. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write up oh eight-legged one. :D

That A/F plot sorta tells an interesting story. Do you have many tanks of gas through the beast yet? I ask because holy mackerel Batman, that stock setup is wayyyyyy rich. No wonder there's herky jerky low-throttle behavior, and totally shitty gas mileage on these bikes! I'm guessing your "new" bike now RIPS from cracking the throttle on up, with no blubber, stumble, etc.??? I also guess your gas mileage may improve a skosh....or even two skoshes.... :lol3

Thanks again, and heal up so you can get back on the scoot! :super

-SM
  3. Dotbond

Dotbond Africa, Africa

Oddometer:
    yep, keep the info coming.
  4. Kenbike

Kenbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was happy to get the ride report, but very sorry to hear you broke the foot. Is it healing ok?
    I will call Chris at Bazzaz and to check pricing and what will be included in the kit. One real advantage with the Bazzaz unit is future changes to the bike with intake, exhaust, valves ect. can easily be tuned and your are back with a perfect map.

If a person wanted a quick shift they could purchase the other Bazzaz controller and add that feature. This could be a real plus for guys on Super Dukes, and Super Moto bikes. I pretty sure this will work on the 690 series of bikes also.

Did you get to check your mileage?

If you are not on a dyno, what steps do you take to accept the changes the unit recommends to the map?

Thanks!!
  5. the octopus

the octopus The Chef

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the well-wishes guys. It was just a mild hairline fracture, so it's healing fairly quickly. I'm back to being able to put weight on the foot, and am fairly mobile. Probably should have let the doctor put a cast on me....but I don't like being restricted.

The bike had 3300 miles before the Bazzaz setup was installed. I was averaging 35.7 mpg with the stock setup. Now, with the exhaust change and fueling modules, I'm sitting at about 44 mpg. I've only put 5 tanks through the bike with the Bazzaz stuff on, so I'm sure that number will shift around a bit. After another 1000-2000 miles, I'll report back with a more reliable fuel economy value.

Power delivery is indeed FAR more immediate with the current setup. Low-RPM stumbles are more or less gone, and it's smooth throughout the whole RPM range. I'm a happy camper with the results, to be sure.

Ken is right. The ability to remap on the fly is great. That means any change to the setup can be matched with a fairly rapid change to fueling.

Without a dyno or track to do the logging on, I would suggest people stick to the same principle used to obtain datalogs on any fuel injected engine: very slow changes in throttle position, trying to hit the full range of RPM/TPS values. I usually tell my customers (I have a small business tuning Buells) that the best method is to look at the map on your computer and write down each of the RPM values on a post-it, then stick it to the speedo. Find a nice long uncongested stretch of road, get into a high gear, and start at the lowest RPM value. As you slowly increase throttle (slow is key), you progressively ride the rear brake harder and harder. This locks the bike to the RPM you've initially targeted while enabling the Z-AFM to log data over a wide TPS range for that specific RPM value. Finding a nice long stretch of road going up a hill is even better, to increase load on the engine. Of course, this method eats up rear brake pads and makes the engine work harder than it normally does. Equally, it should be done entirely at your own risk. The beauty of datalogging and tuning on the road is that it reflects your bike's normal operating conditions and operating environment. No matter how high tech a dyno is, it will never be able to recreate that. There's actually a strong argument for datalogging in the normal environment OVER tuning on a dyno.
  6. the octopus

the octopus The Chef

Oddometer:
    Oh, and I should add that the software allows you to create an AFR bin so that it can use the Z-AFM data to calculate new fueling values. This is very nice, because it allows you to target different AFRs at different RPM/TPS ranges. For example, you could create a bin that would allow you to get maximum fuel economy at cruise and maximum power at high RPM. No need to be stuck to targeting just one value.
  7. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the wideband option. makes tuning so much easier. I've been thinking about it for the RC8 but not sure if it's available yet.

quickshifter would be awesome too.
  8. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    :y0!

OOH OHH......pick me....piiiiick me.... :lol3

So, is there a way to change maps on the fly? If so, it would be saweeeet to be able to use the "high mileage" map while slogging to/from the good stuff, and the "get out my way foo!!!" map for the real fun. :wink:

And daaaaamn....a 10(ish) mpg improvement?!?! If that number pans out, getting this setup (Fi + AFM) would pay for itself in fuel cost savings in just a few years, assuming 10k miles per year and current fuel prices (at least here in the USA). And all the while, you're getting WAY better performance. Now THAT'S what I call "win win". :clap

-SM
  9. the octopus

the octopus The Chef

Oddometer:
    They've had items available for the RC8 for quite a while.

The only way to change maps on the fly is using the software and a laptop. You can save and load maps within the software, so switching between then would be fairly painless. There is, however, a way to get around this. The harness has a plug with a jumper wire that, when plugged in, uses the Z-Fi to modulate fueling parameters. When unplugged, however, it bypasses the Z-Fi and uses stock mapping on the ECM. You could, ostensibly, tune the Z-Fi using one AFR bin, then use the percentage values that it calculates to actually modulate the map using TuneECU (or some comparable program) within the ECM itself. In this way, you'd have a baseline tuned map already on the ECM which would be active with the jumper cable unplugged. Then, you could create a separate map on top of this using a different AFR bin with the Z-Fi and Z-AFM that would be active with the jumper cable plugged in. Then swapping between the two would be as simple as removing the seat and plugging or unplugging the jumper cable.
  10. the octopus

the octopus The Chef

Oddometer:
    Here's what the software looks like:

[​IMG]

Now, remember that the Z-Fi MX does not have cylinder or gear trim, so some of the options seen in the above screen will not be available for the 990. The "Self-Mapping" tab is where the Z-AFM comes into play.
  11. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed :lurk
  12. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    will it work on the dual spark engines on the 2011 model.
  13. the octopus

the octopus The Chef

Oddometer:
    Their website only shows support up to 2010 models. Call in and check with Tech Support. They should be able to answer that for you.
  14. Michhub

Oddometer:
    I emailed Bazzaz on availability & pricing and got the following response....
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, we should be releasing it in 1 to 2 weeks. Part number is F582 and the price is $324.95.
    The Z-AFM is a separate, optional unit and it is $299.95

Here are some notes I have on the kit:

Notes:
    Increases torque and hp
    Significant improvement in throttle response
    Includes two O<SUB>2 </SUB>eliminators. Use front cylinder when self-mapping

Secondary Air Separator (Pair Valve Eliminator)
    -Provides more stable Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR), resulting in a better tune.
    -Sold separately

Tracey de Martini
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Executive Assistant / Sales
    15330 Fairfield Ranch Rd., Suite E
    Chino Hills, CA 91709
    P - 909.597.8300 x-24
    F - 909.597.5580
    www.Bazzaz.net

Is there any pricing and availability information you could give me?

Thanks - Mike

15. the octopus

the octopus The Chef

Oddometer:
    That's a great price on a full kit.

Also, nice reference to the German Purity Laws in your signature Michhub.
  16. Michhub

Oddometer:
    Thats what I thought until Tracey emailed just now...
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    Hi Mike,

I just realized something in case you did not know. The Z-AFM is a separate, optional unit and it is $299.95. I didn&#8217;t want you to think the Z-Fi unit included the Z-AFM.

The Pair Valve Eliminator kit is $19.95.

There is also an optional map select switch that can switch between 2 maps on the fly (the system holds two maps) that mounts on the handle bar. It is $79.95.

Thanks you,

Tracey de Martini
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Executive Assistant / Sales
    15330 Fairfield Ranch Rd., Suite E
    Chino Hills, CA 91709
    P - 909.597.8300 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 909.597.8300 end_of_the_skype_highlighting x-24
    F - 909.597.5580
    www.Bazzaz.net
  17. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    BOOYAAA!! There we go, just what the doc ordered. "Mileage" map for gettin' there, "Power" map for rippin' it up once there. :clap :clap :clap

-SM
  18. Kenbike

Kenbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The two map switch is the way to go! I have a spare 2 lb nitrous bottle and solenoid in the shop, a 30 shot would be fun. Out tooling along, hit the map and nitrous switch and go! Might be hard on the stock motor so a mileage and performance map would be better. My PC III on the drag bike has 2 maps so I run with and with out nitrous.

The cost for this Bazzaz is in line with PC III and $250 in dyno tuning cost.
  19. gixxersteph

gixxersteph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or perhaps the Z-AFM can be purchased by a club and then passed along in said club until each bike is mapped. Or purchased used as they are the same for all their units. Just saying.
  20. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having spent time hanging with Amar Bazzaz I can tell You the guy is a real pro. He was Mladin's electronics guy for a while and really knows how to get the best power from a machine.