Harro Elefantenboy tankbag help needed

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by mac62, Jul 14, 2006.

1. mac62

mac62 One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 1978 Harro tankbag for my /7. It's so cool people genuflect as I ride by.

My question is: after removing the rubberized fabric top compartment, the leather lower compartment looks a bit naked. Does anyone know if there was ever a map pocket that zipped on?

By the way, the bag came with the rain cover. It looks like someone cut up a fisherman's Sou'wester to make it (it's even yellow fer chrissake)! :lol3
  2. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    is Harro Elefantenboy curable? :huh
  3. mac62

Oddometer:
    No, you just buy bigger pants to accomodate the swelling.
  4. Flash412

Flash412 Elk Biffer

Oddometer:
    The map pocket was originally sewed onto the top. They get brittle after a while and tear off. You can probably buy some clear vinyl at a sewing supply place and have somebody with a good sewing machine sew it on for you. (Be sure to have them leave one side open.)

Harro's site has one fubar page... the ONE page you need.
    Go here" http://www.harro.de/index_k.htm
    Then click on "Zubehör"
    Then click on "Tankrucksäcke"
  5. mac62

Oddometer:
    Thanks, you're right though, even if you speak German the site sucks.
  6. Justav

Justav MasterLurker

Oddometer:
    The lower compartment wasn't really intended to be used without the upper one. The map pocket on the upper one could be used in 3 different positions, depending on the fill/expansion level of the upper compartment.
    I still have a 40l version that I bought in ca. 1986 and probably put more than 100k miles on, I'll see that I can dig it out and take a few pictures.
    The bottom foam on mine disintegrated and I haven't found the time to replace it with something appropriate (closed-cell neoprene rubber supposedly works the best), and it doesn't really work with any of my current bikes, so it is sitting in the back of my closet. But it offers huge amounts of storage on the right bike. On my old VX800, I managed to haul more than a case of wine in it, in addition to my day trip gear. I'll never sell it, given that it appears to be indestructible, but instead will keep it for my next classic bike.
    Good luck with yours!:bmwrider
  7. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    nice find! I've got 2 of them that I will be buried with when I die!
  8. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. garyinalt

garyinalt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just decided to sell my Harro Elephantboy bag. It has the rain cover but not the map compartment. It fits my /7 but is rather big. Without a fairing I can lean on it to hold me up comfortably.
  10. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it currently for sale or did you already sell it?
  11. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    I'll never sell mine either. After the foam wore out, I just replace it with thick neoprene, with a cutout for the (left side) gas cap of my Triumph.
    Sure is nice in the rain...and you can rest the bottom of your helmet on the top of it, too.
    Bottom small compartment, patch kit and tire tools , a quart aluminum bottle of gas, and wrenches, then in the middle a
    camera (hmmm, my Rolleiflex TLR makes me seem reeeeeaaally old) rainsuit, sweater, a book, maps, warm gauntlets, socks, dang I don't have the space to list everything an Elefantenboy will hold.
    For a while when brightly colored plastic weirdly shaped panels began to appear on bikes where fuel tanks formerly were, those tankbags were cheap...they now longer fit the latest plastic BMW motorcycles.
    Get one while you can.
  12. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Mine's a keeper, too. I have a 1975 Harro Tankbag, guess it's an Elefantenboy. I replaced the deteriorated foam on the bottom with closed-cell neoprene, but I'm thinking of adding a velcro'd on sheepskin. The tankbag fits my '73 Toaster tank, but the rear attachment piece is about 3" too short to use with my larger 5.3 gallon "R90" tank. Rather than modifiy it so it can't be used with Toaster Tank anymore, I _think_ I can have an extra attachment ear added and use it with both tanks. I have a friend who is a master saddlemaker and I need to take it to him.

On the map holder, I think I can get or fabricate one to velcro to the top flap so I can (or not) use it. And possibly have it two-sided for more capacity. And maybe have 2 or 3 map holders so I won't need to be shuffling maps in the middle of a trip.

You've got me started... :evil:deal

--Bill
  13. junco

junco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one I bought from Germany a week ago. Didn't realise there was more than one model. The one I have is the 401 which is 32 litres. It's a bit large for the standard tank on my 80GS, although not unusable. It's in really good condition so will be retained for the next addition.
    Looking for a smaller one but thought I'd check and see if anybody has one that fits neatly on the standard tank and could tell me the model no. My German is non existent, the guy I bought it from didn't really understand my questions so better if I look for exactly what I need this time.
    Having handled one now I think it's a really good match for the bike. I like them!
    Thanks. :thumb