"Nitro"Max's sidecarstory

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by NitroMax, Sep 27, 2010.

1. NitroMax

NitroMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Thought I’d share my sidecarexperiences on this Forum too as I have been reading and gazing over pictures here for some months now.

First let me introduce myself: my name is Max and I’m 52 years old ( but not in my head :D ) and I live in the Netherlands. Since English isn’t my native language, please excuse my mistakes.

Been riding bikes legally since my 18th birthday, but already had a 500 cc Matchless when I was 17. Overhere you can’t get your driverslicense before your 18th.

Been riding every day, sun/rain/wind etc but went down on my right side last winter and on my left side the winter before that in the snow ( without too much harm, which is good at my age ) and although it’s a great way of keeping handlebars, levers and mirrors new on an old bike I thought it might be a good idea to add an extra wheel to my bike for winter use, so I started searching the internet for advice and stories……….and a sidecarcombo for sale of course.

Since I didn’t know whether I’d like riding a sidecar or not I didn’t want to spend too much money initially, so I searched for something cheap that I could try and keep, or sell without too much loss.

I found a nice looking, good running MZ 251 with 300 cc engine with standard SuperElastik sidecar that I trailered home. Didn’t want to ride it home without any sidecar experience.

First careful ride around the block scared the sh*t out of me when I closed the throttle because a car was coming my way, I slowly drifted towards the car and only a good pull on the handlebars prevented me from crashing into the car, but I almost drove into a ditch when I opened the throttle again.

Since I already had made an appointment with Rob Teffer ( well know sidecarscool overhere ) I decided to put the sidecar back in the shed and wait untill I knew what to do.

Took the lessons in the snow on very slippery roads and learned a lot of the basics, very worthwhile !

Now for some pics of the MZ:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I liked riding the MZ combo but it was pretty slow. Not to me actually but to the cars that kept creeping up close behind me. I’d do 80 kilometers/hour where it was mandatory but they still wanted to push me forward. Combo was nice on the smaller roads and on the dykes ( yes I know, but that’s really what those things are called ;) )

It also was a pretty small bike for someone my size ;) Being a 2 stroke it meant keeping up the revs and working the clutch in corners a lot too, which did not result in a relaxed ride.

So after some weeks it was time to look for another combo or just a heavier bike.

Found a very nice 1976 R90/6 in policetrim ( ie frontfender and tank with compartment for papers etc ).

[​IMG]

Took the Krauser rack off, replaced the seat with a reupholstered soloseat, took off the R90S fairing and bars and fitted nice wide bars.

Because I like the looks of the SE sidecar I bought a subframe ready to mount the SuperElastik to the BMW, took some fiddling but got it right after a couple of tries. Appeared someone had modified the subframe and one of the balls was too high, sawed it off and welded it in the correct position.

[​IMG]

It’s a real nice looking combo I think and I get a lot of nice compliments on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realise it’s a light sidecar for such a heavy bike but haven’t had any trouble with it yet. Might be due to the 45 kilo’s of pebbles it carries in two metal jerrycans ( one small one in the boot and a big one lying on the seat ).

I put progressive springs in and a Marzzochi forkbrace ón the frontfork. Rearshocks are R100 items for now, heavier EML’s are on their way. Sidecarshock is a R90 item with heavier spring.

I modified the MZ torsionbar to fit the BMW ( lenghtwise ) and I know that helps a lot because I immediatly noticed different roadbehavior when it broke during the first testride :huh It's okay now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Modification are welded now, bolts were just for measuring purposes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must say I really enjoy riding this bike, the wife loves it too. Due to backproblems she can’t ride a motorcycle anymore and even riding pillion leaves here with a backpain for some days. Now she can sit comfortably and look around instead of just to the left or to the right sitting behind my fat back :D

Only problem now is that the combo is getting to be too nice for winteruse , so I kept the MZ and am looking for a sidecarframe to fit. Won’t put a body on it, just a shoppingkart/skibox/wooden crate to transport stuff.

I'll be painting the sidecar to match the Beemer at some point, just like I'll slowly -bit by bit-"restore" the bike itself. I started with the left sidepanel which I broke while testfitting the sidecar and putting my knee through the sidepanel. A friend of mine repaired it professionally and I painted it the right color and put a new "900 cc" sticker on it.

If anyone is interested in some of my other toys, please feel free to check my website: www.nitromax.nl
    Combatscoot likes this.
  2. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    Great first post Max :clap ,

Since I have a 250 (changed to 300 cc) MZ ETZ too, seeing yours, I think I have to give it some more attention than I did lately. Mine is matt black, it was too bad for any other color. :D

Like what you did on the sway bar for the Beemer. The Superelastic definitely needs one. A harder shock on it (what everyone thinks makes it better) doesn't work on this chair, and you will be lifting your sidecarwheel all the time. So, very good idea!

Love the text on your T-shirt.

Maybe "Abendteuerfahrer" will translate it. :wink:

Have fun here.

Richard-NL :bmwrider
  3. halflive

halflive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Max, great first post.
    :clap:clap
  4. NitroMax

Oddometer:
    Hi Richard, thanks for the compliments.

I bought the MZ this way, the guy I bought it from took it apart and painted it 2 years before and never rode it, I just washed it when I got it home :D

It did need some mechanical attention, I put on a brandnew Bing carb, new oils/filters, clutch etc. Starts and runs perfectly now

Do you mean it doesn't make any difference what kind of shock I put on the sidecar ?

I forgot I put some vids of the difference between the combo with and without torsion/swaybar:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNHJYeD8JDA?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNHJYeD8JDA?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZwzIaxHZQag?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZwzIaxHZQag?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

and with torsionbar:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cjXuWPot5eM?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cjXuWPot5eM?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pL2Q27-HS6o?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pL2Q27-HS6o?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  5. NitroMax

Oddometer:
    Hah, Hi Halfive, long time ago ( about 24 hours :rofl )

I put the story in "Word" so I could make corrections and post it in one go :D

[edit]

The T-shirt reads:

"Ei reit a Dschörmen Modorbeik"

You really need to pronounce it loud and then you find out it's like a German speaking English and saying " I ride a German Motorbike"

[edit]
  6. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:

Echt, genau gesagt....he,he.!!...:1drink :freaky
  7. will2002

will2002 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice rig. I especially like that sidecar!:wink:
  8. nanno

nanno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sidecar is really neat. I will always be missing the torsionbar setup of my MZ-hack... it improves the whole gear unbelieveably.

Hmm... maybe I should knock up something similar for my XS750 with Dnepr-sidecar ?

It looks really sweet!

Cheers,
    Greg
    Combatscoot likes this.
  9. ivel_86

ivel_86 Chair Ranger

Oddometer:
    Thats cool. I love seeing bikes that people built makes me wanna build my own.... Anyways sweet rig!
  10. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    XS 750?? Picture please.:wink:
  11. nanno

nanno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't want to hi-jack the thread, but there you go:

But it's done about a dozen changes since those pictures where taken, so they're not quite up to date. (Most visible change is that the torque-struts for the front-brakes are changed now, plus small other bits 'n' bobs)

Pictures are clickable and can then be seen in full-size:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Greg
    Combatscoot likes this.
  12. rutgertjuh

rutgertjuh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice bike. :D
  13. NitroMax

Oddometer:
    Thanks neighbour :D :lol3
  14. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Nice one Max :thumb
  15. NitroMax

Oddometer:
    And since I decided I didn't want to ruin the Beemer by riding it in winter with all the salt, I bought a subframe with a wheel and fender/mudguard:

[​IMG]

and put that back on the MZ with just a platform so I can put all kinds of "transportmodules" on it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've put some heavier profile tires on it:

[​IMG]
    And the first testride today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzU2zgWAq6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQaNw-lIYV0

Below one of the inspiration pics from the net:

[​IMG]
  16. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    Love the utility hack Max. I hope you obtained the shopping cart legally. :evil

I really want to build something like that to extend the riding season past the time when the snow flies. I think I will need a different bike however, My worn out Suzuki GS doesnt like to start when the temp goes below 50 F or about 10 C to you guys across the pond.
  17. NitroMax

Oddometer:
    But FD, of course the shopping cart was obtained legally :D

I always thought they were really expensive but they only cost 50 eurocents :lol3

It was a damaged one :wink:
  18. NitroMax

Oddometer:
    Bought an original MZ "lastenwagen" for the winterhack to use instead of the platform.

Been looking for one for a while now on the German ebay and now found one only 40 kms from here :clap:clap

Seller sent me these pics yesterday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I told him I'd buy it and picked it up today

All rust is just surfacerust, already sanded one insidepanel, will do the rest tomorrow. Then it will be painted on the inside so the stuff I take along n the tub will stay rustdustfree :D

Bottom, no rot

[​IMG]

Worst looking part on the inside, now already sanded

[​IMG]

Wheelwell from inside tub

[​IMG]

Wheelwell outside

[​IMG]

Original sticker of the electric company it used to ride for in Germany

[​IMG]

Testfit

[​IMG]

Testfit

[​IMG]

Outside will remain untouched, nice patina.

I took the tub off the frame it came with and took the platform off he winterhack, fitted like it should and this way I don't have to do all the measurements for toe-in etc :evil
  19. halflive

halflive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alway' s nice to have someone who volunteers to bring the firewood and beer.:clap
    But the commies did a good job, simple, solid work, at least 20 years old and at least 20 more to come.
  20. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Hey Max..

I didn't know you were a Sammie guy !!.I use to own Seattle Offroad Center and all I did was sammies !!.I even had a 1986 Sammie Pickup truck with removable sides ( like a VW transporter).:clap