Dyna Booster... yes or no?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by headtube, Jan 29, 2013.

1. headtube

headtube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Points in a can on my 79 RS. I have recently replaced them with a new set. The bike runs well. However, after reading a few posts with positive feedback on the booster I'm wondering if I should hand over $100 simply for a fatter spark. Are they really that good? Are there any cons to the pros? I have no experience in this area.
  2. Stan_R80/7

Stan_R80/7 Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer:
    Probably not. I bought a Dyna Booster on a whim, but my '78 points cost ~$20.00/set and the booster was $80.00 shipped. The '79 model points have a VW equivalent which is less expensive and easier to find.

I don't think the spark is any better with the Dyna Boost, the gadget just extends the life of the points - provided the electronics don't die. But, don't let me dissuade you from wasting money on a motorcycle gadget.
  3. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    I'm a big fan. Your points will last a lot longer.
  4. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    If you're running single plugs, it may not be worth it. When I went to dual plugs, at first I just put on the dual outlet coils and ran it. I was getting 1000 miles out of a set of points, and then the were burnt enough to cause running problems. I went a few rounds of that and then got the booster. It didn't really make it run better than it did before with a fresh set of points, but now the business end of the points lasts indefinitely, the wear block is what goes now, after a LOT of miles.
  5. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    I'm running a GM 4 pin ignition module on my R100S as a points booster.

As per this web site: http://home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZheiModForPoints.html

I mounted the module and the inverter on a heat sink piece of aluminum on the rear glove box under the seat cowl. Got about 500mi. on the setup so far with no problem. With the switch of two wires and reconnecting the condenser it goes back to points only.

Cheers
    Steve 01GS 78S
  6. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    ^That sounds like a great tip! I'm going to look into that for my Guzzi!
  7. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process right now of ordering the Velleman Ignition Kit, K2543, it is a Booster to use with ignition points.

[​IMG]

I found one place that has this for less than $21.00 but I don't know about shipping charges yet. I'll report back later what the final cost is.

I believe this kit is mentioned on Snowbum's site. If not there I've see some reports that it works. Certainly much cheaper than a DynaTek Booster.
  8. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    The Velleman Ignition Kit requires assembly so it saves money. After shipping from Arcade Electronics I think my final cost was just under $30. Much cheaper than Dyna.

http://www.arcade-electronics.com/Default.asp

I should have this in a couple of days. No telling how long till I get off my butt and put it together.
  9. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am a huge fan of these "gadgets"... had a humongeous one from the -70' on a 3 cyl Triumph and I never/ever checked the points nor changed them... the thing was starting 2 kicks after 3 months of no use. I am buying one for my SV Dnepr...Pazon is making a great one with a couple of diodes (one for ON and one for points opening), I'll surely go that way: http://www.pazon.com/ignition-system/energy-booster-ii-negative-earth.html
  10. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it runs fine stock, then why change it. You can throw some money at it if you want, but really, those old points bikes have been working just fine for over 30 years. Going electronic is nice, but points are pretty easy to install and don't cost all that much, compared to the amount of miles you get out of a set.
  11. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    But the Booster keeps the points only it doesn't burn them up so fast. If the Booster fails the parts are still in place to revert to stock ignition. I see this as a plus. I think the timing is more stable and requires less maintenance. If you think the points as issued by BMW are enough then I guess you can't be convinced. No problem.
  12. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    No Disston, It isn't that I can't be convinced, I just don't really see the need to add another piece of electrickery to the equation. I have never had any major issues with the stock points on a totally stock bike. I have had a set die out in the middle of nowhere, but as I always carried a spare set of points and condensor, not a big deal to change them out on the side of the road. And you know it is the points right away, as you don't have something else in the system that just might be the issue.

We all know that ignition trouble always happens at the worst possible times, usually when it is getting dark and either threatening to rain or already is a total downpour. I prefer to have things as simple as possible, which matches up to my simple mind.

Now if you are changing other things, and trying to get more performance, Then I can see it being a good idea, or even better going to full electronic. To me, it all comes down to the application.
  13. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    The last time mine broke was 11:00am on a beautiful day and I was parked in a shopping mall not on the side of the road.

If nothing ever broke I guess it wouldn't be so much fun, maybe.
  14. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    I like the booster also. I do think the spark is a little stronger as I've notice quicker starting with it. Plus all the other things that have been said about it.
  15. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    All of the above advantages, plus a biggie: the "magnetic saturation" of the ignition coil is set by the point gap or the dwell. Very critical parameter in getting a "hot spark". The "dwell" or magnetic saturation of the coilis achieved electronically in a Dyna booster and is independent of the point gap.

--Bill
  16. Houseoffubar

Houseoffubar HoFmetalworks.com

Oddometer:
    Don't know myself, but Eliteless installed one, on his /5, and said the spark was visibly brighter, when checking laying on the head.
  17. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Outdated Sigline. :)

Or is it a Taunt???? :(

--Bill
  18. PaulRS

PaulRS Dutch fool

Oddometer:
    Have one on my Twin-spark R90.

Point ignition, booster and 2 dual Dyna coils.
    No more sparking over the points, fatter spark over the plugs, starts on the first push on the button, every time.

Paul.
  19. Bigrider

Bigrider Living the Legend

Oddometer:
    Any pictures on installation of the Velleman Ignition Kit?
    Dave H
    San Antonio, TX
  20. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Haven't received it yet. It may be in the mail later today or tomorrow. I'll let you know what the directions look like and take a pic of the kit maybe.

Charlie