Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Dirty Barber

Dirty Barber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone here in Hawaii???
  2. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    A guy named Jon Stockton rents dual sport bikes on Maui. He seems like a pretty nice guy. Here's his website.

http://www.mauidualsport.com/

I lived on Oahu for two years going to school. Great place to live, but expensive and it's easy to get "island fever" and wish it took more than a few hours to get to the other side of the island.

Aloha
  3. 808Tugpilot

808Tugpilot Pop A Wheelie!

Oddometer:
    Work in the Pacific Ocean. Home in Reno/Sparks
    Kailua, Oahu
  4. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Manoa Valley, moved to North Central Washington about 25 years ago. I still go see the folks every February or so when the weather here sucks long enough.
    Oahu's got some nice day rides. I used to ride DS bikes all around the island before the last bit of bad road on Kaena Point collapsed. You used to be able to ride in the hills behind Mililani Town, but they built a prison in my favorite spot.

NCW Mike
  5. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm starting to plan for a trip early next year to Oahu to see my daughter and son-inlaw (he's stationed over there), so far all we are finding are big ass fancy high-rises's.
    I don't want a run down dump, just a nice place to relax for the evening and crash as during the day I just plan on driving (riding?) around the Island and spending as much time with my daughter as possible.
    On the map the north shore area looks pretty cool (we like to find the "out the way" areas) but I've been told to stay away from the north shore at night caues they don't take to kindly to "howlies".

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom
  6. two10wagon

two10wagon Construimus Batuimus

Oddometer:
    RR, dont know where you got your info, but I lived on Oahu for 4 years. North shore is a great place. I spent many a night in Hale Ewa and never had any problems from the locals. Did allot of diving for bugs around shark's cove. Had numerous bon fires on Mokulea Shores, not to mention many crazy nights at the sugar mill bar. Besides, I know of plenty of "Howlies" that live up there. Just my 2 cents. Everyone has their own immpressions. You give, you get.
  7. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    just got back from the northshore this morning on the 08 GS adventure...met another GSA rider in the Pipeline parking lot.. he is 2Adventure on here. I know another GSA owner up at Schofield Bks.. but can never remember his name. We need a Hawaii subforum :rofl
  8. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    Although I live in the mainland, I grew up in Mililani town on O'ahu, way back before the High School was built we used to go ride up by there (I think it was called the pits) , down through Kipapa Gulch and up to where Costco, Kaiser and all the Gentry development is today - back then it was all empty pinapple/sugar cane fields. I remember riding an XR75 on the dirt straights trying to keep up with the cars on Kam highway. You used to be able to ride up to the mountains....those were the days. Today my brother and his family pretty much go riding at the track out by Kahuku....
  9. Road Rash

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.........................I got my (mis)infomation from some "Howlies" :lol3 but since have been told that the only thing to watch out for around there is the waves.

NCW Mike, Thanks for the PM, I will get back to you when I have more time.

mrt10x, so if I see any GS riders while I'm there on the Island I can give them the ADV salute? :lol3
    My son inlaw is stationed at Scofield, so I'm sure I'll be spending some time there.

Tom
  10. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    Just to help out - it's haoles and Schofield :D
  11. Road Rash

Oddometer:
    Thanks, spelling is hard :lol3

I loved your old dirt bike riding story from the Island :thumb

I have a few myself, from places where it used to be OK to ride (in the mainland).
  12. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    Might be moving to Kona...!!!

Went over with a buddy that had a job interview last week.
    Im sold on the place, looking to rent something in the 1500 - 2k range.

Any big islanders around?
  13. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
    I'm working on move to Maui. Been there for job interview in October. Other job interview (over phone) 2 weeks ago. I hope to move there this winter. If (who knows in this economy) I move I'll bring my Gran Canyon and Husky TE510. Any ADV riders on Maui?
  14. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    I'm on Kauai northshore about half time.......had an old Honda XL250 and did a lot of offroading but am down to a Honda Reflex now.......hoping the interisland ferry gets going so I can take the scooter to the Big Island where you can't see the entire island from one place....Bruce
  15. XRR-kat

XRR-kat Prodigal Scrambler

Oddometer:
    RR,
    If you are former military or Fed Gov employee, the Hale Koa in Waikiki is a good deal. You might try a local travel agent for package deals; they book seats in bulk and can offer good prices.

You won't have much competition with this economy.
  16. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Dude -

Didn't you interview in Kona about Two YEARS ago?!?!?!?!?!? Bout time you guys settled on a Pay, Vacation,Health, and Riding Plan... :deal

Motardjunkie started a Hawaii thread here a while back.

For definitive Oahu and Kauai riding videos check out Phaulgais' Videos on You Tube, there's Oahu and Kauai videos to give you an idea of whats being ridden. Hope to hell this enbeds....

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>
    <embed src="<a href="http://www.advrider.com/forums/<object width=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/0GqCoMVeldY&ampamphl=en&ampampfs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>

Edit: Screw me......
  17. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. dirtypumpkin

Oddometer:
    I wish it was 2 yrs ago, was set on Roatan back then...
    My buddy is starting his gig in Kona on 2/1.

We will probably start in a cheaper 2br close to Kona.
    Then start searching for a dog friendly place with a larger yard.
    Have seen some nice 3b 2 ba places on a 1/2 - 1 acre for @ $1500-1800.
    Above Kona, or 8-10 miles south.

Im probably out of here in 4 months...
    Have to wait on the dog stuff. Cool thing is they have a
    instant release with no quarentine if you get your shit together before arrival.
    2 rabies shots, blood sample to lab, 120 day incubation for rabies,
    so you have to wait 4 months for the good test result.

Then me & the pups can fly over on the same plane! :freaky

Going to bring over my 4x4 van & the KLX400.
    If I get a 950 SE before I leave it is getting slow boated over too.:freaky
    Chances are better picking one up while Im still mainland me thinks.

PS.
    If you know anybody renting a dog friendly 3b 2ba place, selling a 950 SE,
    or a decent zodiac with a 25hp or bigger motor let me know.:freaky

PPS.
    Mods, can we please get a Hawaii forum. I mean come on, Alaska has it's own & it's cold & shit...:eek1

Beers & fish on me when we show up.:thumb

19. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Believe me, I know the Q thing is rough, brought a Ridgeback over in '92 before there was the "Take care of it before you come rule" and I also let a guy and his wife use my old house while I was overseas so they could be closer to their pup that was incarcerated in a Kea'au facility....

Absolutely right on buying before arrival, over here prices are highly inflated and 950's are few and far in between...

My advice is to dump the 950 and look for a single cylinder plated bike in the 450 cubes or less range, better yet a plate an real enduro, you'll run out of places to ride real quick with the twin. The KLX will be fine for maybe the first six months and then you'll want to get serious, a motard would last much longer. Of course from Kona it won't be much fun riding to the serious trails. :huh

What kind of dogs? We're in the market for a companion to the current Ridgeback.
  20. dirtypumpkin

Oddometer:
    Have 2 sets of rims/tires for the 400 so I might fend off boredom for a little while.
    I know the 950 SE might be overkill there, but Id like to have something
    with a little more power for 2up stuff and running up & over the mountain.
    The 690 enduro is another option, toss up, but wont be quite as nice for 2up.

My pups are shep/dobbie mix, and my buddy is bringing over his lab.
    Know of any dog parks? I think almost all beaches are off limits to dogs, or am I wrong?