1190 adventure, which panniers?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Deacon66, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Deacon66

Deacon66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered my 1190 ADV but can't make up my mind on panniers. Integrated touring panniers or touratech 38/45L aluminum set up. Pros and cons of each?

Thanks
    Shroza likes this.
  2. Jensdccom

Jensdccom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't order the bike yet but I did do some research about the panniers. Some of the users on this forum prefer the size above the looks. I don't . They have to be big enough for a weekend trip but also have to be "good looking". I think I'll buy the "SW Mototech Trax Evo" panniers as soon as I have the bike.

In the previous versions of the pannier it seemed that they weren't completely waterproof. That issue should be/is solved by now.
  3. Deacon66

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have the trax on my Vstrom and the locks are horrible, one of them crumbled to pieces after about a week... On the road. I like the boxes otherwise. Hope you enjoy your bike...I am told the bike should come in January... We shall see.
  4. jj_pt

jj_pt Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Jensdccom

Jensdccom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I am correct they already have a third version of the panniers. Maybe the locks are fixed? I will need to do a bit more research.

I'm waiting for the "auto en motosalon" in the capital of my country. Translated it would sound like "car and motorcycle saloon/fair". All the big brands show their new cars/motorcycles and give nice discounts/extras. Maybe KTM does something nice.
  6. Dr LC8

Dr LC8 ...soon or later

Oddometer:
    The Nomada Pro are really nice and shaped better tant Touratech in my opinion. I have the old square 35l Touratech Alu for my KTM. When compared to they are not any better and overall I would say same quality. The only problem is that you defitively need inner bags when you use alu panniers.
    Personally today I would by the 31l or 29l as panniers always have a strong aerodynamic impact and they are though when used off road.
    The standard KTM Powerparts are not nice in my opinion.

Ciao

Nic
  7. barbadv

barbadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I chose the touring panniers for my R for two reasons : look better (for me) and the fixation on the bike was integrated, nothing stay when you pull out the panniers.
    But those panniers are poor quality, very poor.
    Mine are not water proof, fixing on the bike does not inspire confidence and the closure of the cover is not good, it may tap on it for a correct closing.
    I've read on a a french forum a man which couldn't take off the pannier.
    I've deposed the panniers to the dealer for a change into warranty, waiting ktm response at the moment.
    welshstrome likes this.
  8. Tancakar

Tancakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i use the ktm touring panniers the quality isn't the best ,they are not waterproof but i think it looks the best with the bike and the capacity is the one of the biggest in the ktm market. the locks are bad.

i had 2 warranty jobs done on my boxes
    once the right box didn't came out and they change it with a new one under warranty.
    and once my left bag decided to not to lock ! they change all the lock system on it under warranty .

for now they are doing well. good for long trips and also not good for over 180 km as the bike doesn't feel safe with them. but i guess all the adventure dual sport enduro bikes are the same with the luggage. at the end of the day this isn't a kawasaki gtr 1400 :)
  9. Deacon66

Oddometer:
    Thanks, waterproofing is absolutely critical for me. Preparing for a month long trip Florida to Alaska and back. Expect plenty of rain and don't want wet gear. Along with other responses, I've decided to eliminate the integrated touring bags from the short list but I will look at other options as well.

Thanks to all who responded.
  10. Deacon66

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will look at the Nomada Pros for sure. They look nice and the price is competitive.
  11. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
    I have the chance last weekend to compare the Nomada pro and the Touratech whit the Glovescout and in my opinion the Glovescout are the best ones. Not only looks very good, but the welding is perfect. Also are Complete waterproof.
    In terms of price, I'm not sure which ones are the most expensive, but I strongly recommend you to have a look on the Glovescout ones.
  12. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have another option now.

Jesse Bags

I've had these on my 800XC for a couple years. Totally waterproof and they have taken a few offs without structural damage. Not recommended for any serious off-road action, well not recommended for me. :D
    And according to the builder my existing bags will work on the 1190 with the purchase of the mounts only! :clap
  13. Deacon66

Oddometer:
    Thanks, the Jesse bags look nice. Decisions, decisions.
  14. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When my R arrives my plan is to install Kriega Overland 60 on the TT rack. Later I will likely get hard panniers as well.

Having the right side stick out further than the bars concerns me. Does it concern anyone else? Does anyone know a combination that stays within the width of the bars?
  15. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    After inquiring Givi about their Trekker line and the 1190 Adv, I got some pictures in my inbox:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I quite like those Trekkers (I'm personally leaning towards plastic bags rather than aluminium).
  16. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Sorry- stand aside- :puke1 . That GIVI product is functional- but it sure kills the aesthetic<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->looks of the bike.</style>s of the 1190.

If you had to have a hard bag that Nomada looks pretty clean. The oem bags look pretty cheap- and first drop they'll be toast.

17. Jake Mountain

Jake Mountain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the rear pic I was looking for from the other thread, thanks for posting it here. I do like those bags for what I would do with my 1190 if I buy one.
  18. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    It's all in the eye of the beholder. To me the aluminium panniers (Nomada, Givi or whatnot) look completely out of place on the 1190 Adv, while those plastic Trekkers suit the bike very well.
  19. Jake Mountain

Jake Mountain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree to a certain extent, I was thinking more of ruggedness in a tip over than anything. But I think the Touratech bags look pretty darn good as do the Jesse's
  20. Womble_CH

Womble_CH dribbling baboon

Oddometer:
    Sorry to say but for me they have the disadvantages of the Touratech (= wide build) with the disadvantages of the Powerpart Touring panniers (plastic) combined. I hesitated to get the topcase because it would fit two helmets but then I went for the Givi V47, which looks much better when alone.