2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In order: Centerstand, pannier rack, engine guard, fairing guard and then skid plate. The centerstand makes a lot of things easier, and my pannier rack takes a lot more hits than anything aftermarket. The bar ends & hand protectors do help stop the damage to the engine and fairing.
  2. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to let you know if you didn't know, the backordered Touratech BMW 650 GS, Sertao, and Dakar Lower Front Fender is now available from Touratech.
    John
  3. tinpusher

tinpusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. Before I order the center stand I have a stupid question. I have a 30" in seam and am on toes as it is standing over bike. Am I better off with the stock side stand? I envision myself with both legs dangling unable to reach the ground.:rofl
  4. biscuit000

biscuit000 n00b

Oddometer:
    Height doesn't matter for the center stand as you put it up and take it down while off the bike.
  5. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    30" inseam here too.

The center stand doesn't care because you're going to be putting it down when you're off the bike.

Give it a little bit of time (you figure out the dampening of the suspension when stopping) and a good pair of boots, then the tippy toes issue goes away on the street.
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I have the Hepco & Becker center stand and am using the Dakar seat. 30" inseam and no problem rolling the bike off the center stand while seated on the bike.
  7. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    How many miles/km are people getting on their Sertao, after 1000km I'm getting about 250km (156mi) until reserve, based on the 14L tank, of which 4L is reserve I calculated:

10L to go 250km (156mi)
    4L to go 100km (63mi)
    -----
    14L (full tank) to go 350km (219mi)

To me that is really good range, however, I haven't run my take entirely dry yet, I'm thinking that is bad for the fuel injection system.
  8. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touratech recieved the low front fenders last week. I will have mine by tomorrow. Must have. Otherwise mud spits on my legs and up onto headlight. Max BMW should get some more service personel. My bike isn't going in for service on the hot start issue till the 15th! Crazy. I went for a ride the other day with my buddy who has an F800. He could not go where I could with my sweet little single. I sometimes think I would have been fine with the KTM 690 but I think I made the right choice.
  9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Odd that this is an issue now but never was for years before despite being supposedly the same basic engine.
  10. tinpusher

tinpusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I should have said "I'm going down tomorrow fully intending on buying a new Sertao". The dealer had a used F800GS fully farkled already and with the lower seat option the Sertao does not offer. To make a long story short my 30" inseam chose to buy the bigger/lower bike. I guess I'm headed over to http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77

Thanks again :freaky
  11. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    Nice! Cant go wrong with a 800GS, enjoy the new ride, sorry to see you leave the Sertao group.
  12. SwollenCranium

SwollenCranium Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sold my Tiger 955i and bought the Sertao.

I've already put 1100 miles on it and REALLY am 100% happy with the purchase, not to mention I just love the amount of haters this bikes has and none of the haters seem to have a real complaint other than the usual " coulda shoulda" crap.

This is my first single cylinder bike though and took me a bit to get used to it since I've mostly been on super bikes and large displacement Dual purpose.

Zippy, feels lighter than it is and 65 MPG dream even at freeway speeds of 75 mph. I imagine I could get the claimed 70+ if I rolled the throttle back a bit.

I've got the usual add-on already on order, crash bars and the like.

Anyway .. I'm digging it !
  13. Hike&ride

Hike&ride Exploration Born

Oddometer:
    Ive actually owned this bike for over a month, but i have been so busy and my computer decided to die i havent been able to post about it. Anywho. i love the bike! its my first dual sport and so far no real complaints other than the seat making me slide forward while riding, and the Hot start issue was a pain, but i took it in last week and it works perfect everytime. I can actually get gas and start the bike now!

I have already bought and put on a pair of happy trail bags, that i love. and hopefully comming today is touratechs wider kickstand base. trying to figure out what tire to go with next? i tried to take this bike on some sand and i basically ended up like Durden did, No scratches thankfully.

I saw some post about MPG, i just filled mine up and at about 160-170 miles i hit the reserve. This bike is my everyday transportation rain or shine and mostly flat and straight ( :(: ) and average speed of 50mph, if that helps.

Pictures are soon to come!
  14. slider162

slider162 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am very interested to hear what your dealer did for the hot start issue. I have the same problem and it is still unresolved after two trips to the dealer. Starts fine, drive a few miles to the nearest gas station, and the damn thing won't start or takes many cranks to start. I don't like that sinking feeling that I am going to be stranded again.
  15. Hike&ride

Hike&ride Exploration Born

Oddometer:
    Its a valve problem from what they told me. One of the valves isnt seating right when turned off. BMW gave them a spacer to put in it to make the valve seat right. I went in to the dealer originally for the 600 mile service and i told them i had the issue. Literally the next day they called me and told me BMW gave them the part to fix it finally. Because the "temporary" fix for it was just to adjust the valves, which never was a guarantee that it would work.

So i would call back and ask if they have received the proper stuff to fix it. BMW seems to be keeping the down low on this. They didnt want to give me very much info when i was asking. I had to pry and i snuck back and talked to the tech who actually worked on it too :evil , super cool guy. he wasnt as politically correct and proper about his explanation as the service advisor was. so im not sure if every dealer has received it yet or not. I live in North Carolina, but rode up to chesapeak VA to get it done.
  16. gus

gus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which model bags did you get and what width? I have a set of the large ones 11.5" I think on my 1200GSA. I like them, especially for the price. On their website they recomend the 6" width for the 650 (you lose 1.5" at the opening) but that seems small for touring. I'd like to be able to store my Darien jacket and pants when commuting to work too.
  17. Axel F

Axel F Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Re the hot start issue, there has been a new part released here in the uk as of early May, it is a redesigned compressor lever think its slightly longer. The new part number for the new compressor lever is 11.31.8.540.965. It was fitted on the 9th of May and there have been no hot start issues since, few others over on f650.co.uk with same positive feedback
  18. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the compressor lever, and how does a longer one resolve the issue? I poked around and couldn't find any info, just wanted to know for my own sake.
  19. gus

gus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect the modified automatic compression release holds one of the exhaust valves open a little more so the motor can turn over a little easier. When warm stabing the starter button the first time sometimes stalls the starter. The second try usually spins the motor. I suspected the motor either did not have a compression release (unlikely on a big single) or it was not working correctly, or the ECM does not advance the timing enough, or the damn battery or starter does not have the capacity to spin the motor fast enough.

I had the hot (no) start issue this morning. Anybody that remembers four stroke singles before it was common to put electric starters on them knows they can sometimes be a bear to start.Those were the days when the compression release was on a short leaver on the left bar and you only forgot to use it once. After your knee and or ankle healed up you always used it after that. You learned the drill to start cold and to how to start hot but that in between could be troublesome to get it right. I used the same method I would on a kickstart bike that would not fire off. Ignition on hit starter button, roll throttle wide open for 2 or 3 seconds until it poped, roll it closed, then it fired up.

My DR 650 fires up when my thumb is about 2" from the starter button. When warm it starts before it makes one revolution.

Hpoefully someone will keep us informed, we know BMW is like Sgt. Shultz. "I Know Nooothing!"
  20. jonmbakermd

jonmbakermd Dr Baker

Oddometer:
    I just traded in the 1000 pound Harley Davidson Road King for this Sertao, it is nice ride. I road up to Truckee California today in the Snow, really it was snowing. The bike so far has some very good qualities, cruises at 75 MPH without any hesitation, including climbing the mountain. The heated grips saved my hands today, it was extremely cold. Tourtech as you know did the recent bike build up putting $5900 worth of accessories on one. I don't think I will be putting all the bling on but will do some of the standard modes before the next huge trip. The pegs are too far forward and microscopic. Up grade will cost about $400, for 2 inches back and wide enough for a boot to stay on. Some crash protection is in order and maybe some hard saddle bags. Then I should be ready. I plan to ride this to Sturgis this year then will wear out the street tires it comes with. Then put some good dual sport tires and start the planning for the Continential Divide dirt ride. This bike I can ride from my home to the start of any ride and keep going. Like the rest of you I considered the KLR, the Honda 650xl and the KTM 690 endure. I have a KTM 520 EXC and they are high maintience, amazing bike but not something I would ride 6000 miles without needing any work on the bike. I like to ride not work on the bikes. Hopefully this will work.