Death Valley Riding Conditions

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 2on2off, Dec 18, 2009.

1. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Barlow,
    Tech inspection at 8 sharp.
    Check the fuel tank with a plumber's torch, tread depth with an ice pick and lube the chain with muriatic acid. Pass that and you're good to go.
  2. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Actually, for the cost-conscious, a lit match will do in place of the torch, and peanut butter in place of muriatic acid.

I've also found that adding some sand to the oil will help the clutch bite better.

(ducking)

Rob
  3. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    South Pass was clear of snow this past weekend.
  4. prey4mojo

prey4mojo n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for watching!! I am always searching for videos like these before I ride an area to get a better feel for the skill level required since it is such a subjective term to begin with. Figured I would start capturing my rides for others who like to research an area before they ride.

Funny, I have a buddy who hates videos like these... feels it ruins the surprise of the adventure, but since I am often riding solo, I like to know whats around the corner.

PS - Ran into a great group of riders at the Geologist Cabin on the 30th I think, they are from San Bernardino/Riverside area I think.

Still cant believe I scored the cabin that night!
    [​IMG]
  5. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Videos and pictures are great and I like to know as much as I can about an area before I ride there. No matter how much I learn, it is still very different when I actually ride some place new. No amount of pictures and video of the Grand Canyon will give you the feeling you get when you are actually standing there. But a map will help you find it.
  6. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    The top of Lippincott near The Race Track
    [​IMG]

One of the off camber sections on Lippincott

[​IMG]

The rock cairn marking the intersection of Saline Valley Rd and Lippincott Mine Rd at the west end of Lippincott
    [​IMG]
  7. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Once you walk out onto The Race Track and head to the south/east end, this is what you will find:

[​IMG]
  8. arbrlvr

arbrlvr Santa Rosa, CA

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if a bike can get over hunter yet?
  9. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As of 3/4, yes, it is very clear. There was no snow and no standing water/mud anywhere on the road over Hunter Pass, pretty dry. See my ride report here for details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869090

However, I heard that last weekend there was snow up there, so I am not sure how it is now.

I should be making another pass through there this weekend and will report back.
  10. arbrlvr

arbrlvr Santa Rosa, CA

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I'll be attempting it about Wednesday of next week with my 18 yr old son. I'll look for your post from this coming weekend. That would be awesome. I've had to turn back from hunter and back track all the way, not nearly as fun. Have a good trip this weekend!
  11. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Good to hear! We have a group that will be running over Hunter Mtn on 3/25!
  12. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from DV last night. As an update to my report a few weeks ago, the following roads are in good shape (as in about the same condition as last year, no major surprises): Saline Valley Road to South pass to Saline Valley Hot Springs, Steele Pass. Rode Lippencot for the first time, in the downhill direction, very rocky but any intermediate can do it if you take your time. It was OK on a single, probably not much fun on a bigger twin.

Swansee to Salt Trams to Cerro Gordo Road...the only snow I saw was a small patch just west of the trams, it is very easy to by pass, and may be gone in the next 1-2 weeks. Swansee is very rocky, not for the faint of heart. Otherwise, all perfect, and stunning views of snow capped Sierras! I will post a few teasers later.
  13. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Things are looking good for the noobs rally in a couple of weeks!
  14. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Isaac,

We tried a few months ago to get big bikes to the Salt Tram from Cerro to Swansea. It turned out the GSAdventure I was with was just too big a bike. :norton

Did you go up from the Swansea side? I have been to the Salt Tram from Cerro, so I am familiar with that, but I'd like to do the trail to Swansea..

Recommendations?
  15. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

these are some of the (steeper than the photo) steps going up the other side of Swansea, I wouldn't want to go with anyone on a GSA unless I knew they had mad skills, but that's just me.
    There's a few other fun climbs going up that way, super fun ride. You on the 530, no problem IMO.

See you soon hopefully!

[​IMG]

Sounds like it's a little different up there compared to 5 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the update Isaac, looking good for n00bs.... still waiting on your teaser photos.:deal:clap
  16. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with Finn, there's only a few GSA riders I would want to go up there with, because I know they could handle it and because I would not have to help haul the bike up or down! :D

It is steep and rocky, fun on a thumper, but I would not even take my F800GS up there. I would call it an advanced trail, but also suitable for seasoned intermediates.

Pics coming soon, just been very busy!
  17. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Good job guys
  18. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As of Sunday 3/17, this was the only snow spot on Swansea Grade Road....it was very easy to ride around on terra firma. I did not ride up White Mountain Road. You could go from the ghost town of Cerro Gordo straight to Salt Trams without any snow at all. In the next 1-2 weeks I bet that snow patch will have melted.

[​IMG]
  19. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    A storm went through the South Pass area recently and I was wondering if there have been any new washouts especially on South Pass, North Pass or Steele Pass in the Saline Valley area.

Post up any recent pics if you have been there lately.
  20. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    D V is too hot right now.