Used 2004 Ruckus Value?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by MuleTrain, Oct 6, 2005.

1. MuleTrain

MuleTrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A colleague is selling his Ruckus and I may be interested for the right price....it has 800 miles and is all stock. What would be fair?

Thank you!

Chris
  2. Curvy

Curvy Lost Planet Airman

Oddometer:
    $1000 to $1200
  3. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    MSRP is $5500 or so.

There's a 600-miler on Ebay for $4K BIN.

I suspect the guy you're talking to is thinking $4200-ish or more. I'd offer $3500 and see if he passes out, hits you, or counteroffers.
  4. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel See Ya At The Swamp Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or Big Ruckus? That's the question. $4K for a Ruckus seems high to me. But then you're the scooter know-it, not me. Did Honda make both in "04"?
  5. Curvy

Curvy Lost Planet Airman

Oddometer:
    I was thinking he meant baby Ruckus. I have seen several low mileage ones go for $1000 to $1300.
  6. Photog

Oddometer:
    Whoops. My bad. I spaced out and read Big into that.

$1100 - $1200 around here. $1500 during the recent craze.
  7. richc

richc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Red 2003 from the local dealer that he couldn't sell. Just under $600 out the door. It had 3 miles on it when I wheeled it into my truck. That was just before gas got really expensive. I was over this week and he's ordering more, he thought the current gas prices would drive sales. I have been asked a lot of questions about it in town, even had guys flag me down by jumping around in the road in front of me. First question is "How many miles to the gallon?". I don't keep track, but my neighbor who has one does and he's getting 92, with almost 1k miles on the scoot.
  8. Photog

Oddometer:
    Jeebus. :huh Wish I had found that deal.

Here they are going for $2200 OTD from the local stealership...well, that was a few months back. Who knows now.

We were about to buy at least one and to pass on it on principle--they were being a jackass about it. It was one of the worst experiences I've ever had with a dealer.
  9. MuleTrain

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the replies; yes it is a baby Ruckus....he bought it used last year for 1500 I think; I don't want to spend over a grand for it but wanted to make sure it was fair.

What will it cost me to get the top end over 45mph? I weigh about 190...okay fine, 200. :)

For a grand are there any other models/manufacturers that are better?

Thank you!

Chris
  10. Photog

Oddometer:
    www.battlescooter.com is a good place to start for Ruckus lust.

Another great place to start is to start ribbing Linzi and Ilmostro about top speed on theirs. Poke hard enough and we might be able to get them to drop a dime on a new variator and post a report. :amazon

As for other models...depends what you want it to do.
  11. dieter von hexhead

dieter von hexhead I made a doodie...

Oddometer:
    ain't going to happen. (49cc four stroke with no big bore kit available)
    there are those that "claim" to get 44, 45 but that's in a full tuck on a
    long open road, it ain't happening between stop lights. I've got 2 rucki
    and they are a blast but if you need to run in the 40's it's not the scoot...
  12. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    35ish with me on it Linzi gets 40. I think I may sell it... :augie
  13. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    I am failing to understand....a Used Klr or DR or DRZ or Xr...or XT or..or ..orcan be had for about 3K easy....heck or even a supersherpa....what is the advantage of a Ruckus then?...serious...I'm not stirring shit....just trying to follow the thought process or some of YFFs.....
  14. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    Because riding one makes you giggle like a school girl.

(and you don't want a used KLR)
  15. Photog

Oddometer:
    It's a Zen thing.

Seriously. Get on a slower bike for a while, and the whole world becomes unblurred.

Lots of reasons but that one comes to mind first.
  16. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Ruckus, Stella, Vespa, Kymco, Ditech, all are a very different kind of ride from the bikes you mention, yet all are different from each other too. Lots of unique-ness in this little corner of the two wheel universe. Lots of character too.

To quote a line from the rugged individualists I work with every day, "if you have to ask..."

You won't know until you ride one. Either it will talk to you or it won't. Chances are if at any point in your youth you did some time on a moped, mini-bike, or 2-stroke small-mid bore dirt bike you will be done for if you ride a scooter any appreciable distance, especially a 2-stroke scooter. With gears. And an expansion chamber :evil

Good luck!
  17. MuleTrain

Oddometer:
    I agree; I have a 1150gs Adventure and went for a long ride with some buddies with bikes from GSXR-1000, R6, Hyabusa's, etc and a guy on a Sherpa 250....we were talking how much fun it would be if we all had 250 dual purpose bikes....wouldn't need to be riding at the speed of stink to be having fun. And how many people can boast of flat out on the highway without the risk of getting thrown in the slammer!

A Ruckus may not be for me if the speed is limited to 40mph.....any suggestions would be appreciated for a different, cost effective model as I would rather have a 'scooter' then a dual purpose bike.

Thank you,

Chris
  18. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    I like the Ruckus, it is a neat looking little scooter but the four stroke is tough to modify. I went for a Yamaha Zuma because it is a two stroke and much easier to mod if you want to.

I weigh 200 lbs and it will go 40 on flat ground and accellerates better than I thought it would.
    I bought a new one and paid less than $2100 out the door with tax and everything.
    I have been commuting every day to work on surface streets with 35 mph speed limits, haven't been run over yet and it corners awesome.

If you want 40 mph or more I would think about a two stroke or a bigger four stroke scooter.

When I get some time this winter it will be Stage I time, pipe,variator and a few other things. :evil
  19. dieter von hexhead

dieter von hexhead I made a doodie...

Oddometer:
    Why do you hate the environment?
  20. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    If you want a faster scooter you will need a bigger engine. Most 50cc scooters, even with mods, are not going to carry you at legal state route/highway speeds. If you want classic style and a manual transmission you can look at the Vespa/Stella and Bajaj scooters. I have a Stella that will maintain 65 mph without a problem, 60 mph uphill. So it is more than capable of the 55-60 mph required to safely travel most state routes without wringing it's neck.

If you want a more modern scooter with an auto trans you'll be looking at the larger displacement Chinese scooters on the inexpensive end, and the 250-650 cc Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis on the expensive end. Truth be told, if I wanted a modern scooter the Suzuki Burgman 400 would be the ideal choice IMO. Will go well in excess of the speed limit and can still obtain 60 mpg. The Burgman 650 loses lots of points because of comparatively poor mileage.