Tiger 800/800XC tail/brake light upgrade

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by pilot3, Oct 31, 2012.

1. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was originally posted in the Tiger 800 thread but demand to market these little goodies had me move over here.

Revised 07/20/2022

After many years, I have finally had to bump the price on these lights. I have tried to absorb the small increases in the connectors over the past two years, but the light units just had a big jump in cost. Many thanks to everyone still using these and hopefully more to come as these bikes continue to have a great following.

This light is available for the following bikes:
    2011-2019 Triumph Tigers (all models)
    2012-2018 Tiger Explorers
    1996-2022 Suzuki DR650

Many custom opinions also available. Contact me for more information.

The below email and pricing information is kept current to date.
    You may email me directly for special requests or ordering at:

tigerlights@icloud.com

Current pricing is as follows and includes USPS Priority Mail shipping and a 5-year warranty on the light:

CONUS-

PayPal gift/friends/family - $175
    PayPal w/ fees- $183

INTERNATIONAL-
    Please contact me.

I can also add a trigger lead to the harness for an additional $5 to any of the above prices. The trigger lead is switched from the taillight so you can use it to trigger a relay fuse block or similar module. It saves you from splicing into the harness for later expansion.

Greg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So as much as I like this bike, I have been disappointed with the rear tail/brake light, mainly because it is not as bright as other bikes, specifically most Japanese bikes that use clusters of rear facing diodes. The Tiger uses side facing diodes in the light array which are then reflected rearward to illuminate from behind. Being LED, we cannot increase the brightness so what's a Tiger owner to do?

I searched out a waterproof LED array which has a pulse trigger lead (not cheap). Then with a bit more searching, I located the factory wiring plugs and, after a bit of wiring, built this--

IMG_1156.JPG

The black plugs are a direct match to the Triumph factory plugs, so all that is necessary is to unplug the rear light assembly, insert this in between, and plug them in.

The light is slim and narrow enough and fits just perfectly into the notch above the light assembly and below the rear rack. It is adhered in place with 3M dual side waterproof adhesive.

PB210017.JPG

PB210020.JPG

The light array acts as a tail light just as the original does when it is powered on. When the brakes are applied, the light emits a brief series of pulses and then stays on bright. Let me just say, the brake lights are super bright, even in the sunlight.

Here is a video link to the application of the brakes. It is out of focus due to the flash and brightness of the LED's-

DR650 mod

Here is a link to a PowerPoint of the INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5rhJIQURxxYOGJCc01MS2dRZHc/view?usp=sharing

I got a great response from a bunch of inmates :thumb, so I'm taking orders for an initial run of at least 15 units. I will do more than 15 but need to be there for a break on the cost of the light assemblies. Cost for this run will be $110 US (there has been a price increase-keep reading) shipped (CONUS) and AK/HI/International will have an added shipping cost. The entire unit is plug/play and has easy install instructions. The light lens is thick polycarbonate in a waterproof aluminum housing. Entire unit only draws .75amps at 12.8vdc. That's for the techies.

Once I have the 15 commitments, I will order the lights which are about 2 weeks out, then give me a week to assemble them and get them all shipped. If I get less than 15 orders, I will still do them providing everyone doesn't mind the price jumping a few $$.

Let's say the lights are for your "adventure riding" as I can't tell you what every local government has to say about it. It is mind-bendingly bright, so short of the 16 year-old behind you texting where the weekend party is, it definitely makes you more visible!

I have started compiling a list of buyers through PM and will post it soon to make sure I haven't missed anyone. Post up or PM with any questions and thanks so much for the support! :beer

Cheers,
    p3
  2. pilot3

Oddometer:
    OK so far I have the following inmates ready to order. If you want to add on, please Reply to the most recent list and I'll add you.

doxbike
    Yossarian
    swimmer
    bigtallguy
    Ducken (2-I believe)
    NaDSoB
    Too Tall
    BlackBeast
    Johno33772
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    With commitments from non-ADV members, how many do you have currently?
  4. pilot3

Oddometer:
    I'm up to 12 orders now, so it's looking promising. I'll let it continue through the weekend and see who else chimes in.

I'm sure we can make it happen.

p3
  5. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your work and add me to your list.

Nice!
  6. pilot3

Oddometer:
    Orv is added. Here is the latest. And another.

strider.deano
    orv
    oxbike
    Yossarian
    swimmer
    bigtallguy
    Ducken (2-I believe)
    NaDSoB
    Too Tall
    BlackBeast
    Johno33772

also dcolak from Tiger800 forum

p3
  7. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I'm in!

Great work btw.
  8. pilot3

Oddometer:
    Yep you are. I also forgot another, so here's the update. Just waiting for Ducken to confirm wanting 2.

strider.deano
    orv
    doxbike
    Yossarian
    swimmer
    bigtallguy
    Ducken (2-I believe)
    NaDSoB
    Too Tall
    BlackBeast
    Johno33772
    cug
    3putt

p3
  9. pilot3

Oddometer:
    OK everyone, its a go!:norton Jcshew just bumped it to 17.:clap Thanks to everyone for the orders and positive feedback. I'll plan on ordering parts on Monday so I will leave it open until then to give some others the opportunity through the weekend.

If you are on the list below, please PM me you name and address info and I'll send you back the PayPal info you need and your total (if not CONUS).

My light supplier told me yesterday about 2 weeks from when I order until I see the lights. If all goes according to plan, I'll do my best to get them in the mail before Thanksgiving. Hopefully he was overestimating the delivery time to me.

strider.deano
    orv
    doxbike
    Yossarian
    swimmer
    bigtallguy
    Ducken (2-I believe)
    NaDSoB
    Too Tall
    BlackBeast
    Johno33772
    cug
    3putt
    jcshew (2)

p3
  10. KsTiger

KsTiger n00b

Oddometer:
    Please add me to the list. Great work and thank you for the research and development!

Regards,

KsTiger
  11. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pm sent.
  12. pilot3

Oddometer:
    Added and I saw the PM. Thanks.

strider.deano
    orv
    doxbike
    Yossarian
    swimmer
    bigtallguy
    Ducken (2-I believe)
    NaDSoB
    Too Tall
    BlackBeast
    Johno33772
    cug
    3putt
    jcshew (2)
    KsTiger

p3
  13. klrider99

klrider99 I know a shortcut........

Oddometer:
    This looks like a really nice safety mod. Please add me to your list for one. Thanks!

Pat
  14. pilot3

Oddometer:

klrider99 is added, along with framebinder (I hope). Thanks guys!

strider.deano
    orv
    doxbike
    Yossarian
    swimmer
    bigtallguy
    Ducken (2-I believe)
    NaDSoB
    Too Tall
    BlackBeast
    Johno33772
    cug
    3putt
    jcshew (2)
    KsTiger
    klrider99
    framebinder

p3
  15. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    This is probably a stupid question but will this fit with a Altrider rear rack?
  16. pilot3

Oddometer:
    If the mount of your Altrider rear rack looks like this, then it definitely will fit.

[​IMG]

The light upgrade fits right above the existing light and below the factory plate under the factory rack. The Altrider rack sits on spacers I believe above the factory plate.

[​IMG]

I plan on ordering the parts this Monday, so I will probably close this batch out then.

For the rest of y'all, I still need shipping information from the following inmates:

strider.deano
    doxbike
    bigtallguy
    Ducken (2)
    Too Tall
    Johno33772
    klrider99
    framebinder

Once I have everything, I'll PM out my PayPal info. Thanks again everyone for all the support! This has energized me to follow through with my next little goodie that I want to build.

p3
  17. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't find the dimensions of this light. i'd like to have the info for planning.

Also, for installation, do we have to remove the OEM rack to access the wiring?

Thanks!
  18. pilot3

Oddometer:
    Yes, the factory rack does need to be uninstalled by removing the 4 retaining screws in the top. When you get it off, there is still a ledge of plastic above the factory light assembly. That ledge of plastic is part of the entire plastic underseat structure.

Here's a shot from the rear with the factory cover removed, showing the ledge.

[​IMG]

Then the light assembly gets removed. I'll expound on that when I make up the instructions, but here's a shot with it taken out. You can see that upper ledge is a permanent part of the rear assembly.

[​IMG]

The light has to be removed in order to facilitate getting my light wiring into place. Like I said, I'll post up a full detail on the installation shortly.

Finally, the light is 7/8" (22.2mm) tall x 4" (102mm) wide x 1 1/8" (28.6mm) deep. It is tapered in the rear so it tucks down into place.

p3
  19. NaDSoB

NaDSoB The garage is full.

Oddometer:
    Hey, Pilot3!

Just sent you a PayPal "gift"! Can't wait to get that awesome brake light installed!

Thanks for your hard work!

Rob
  20. pilot3

Oddometer:
    I've had mine uninstalled for the past week since I was using it for photos and its been just dumping rain to boot. Had to run out tonight and it was warm and dry. Put the bike back together and am completely impressed with this at night. There is NO question I am getting seen nice and early.

Thanks for the support guys. Order going in tomorrow.

Everyone have a great week!

p3