Terrible experience with Cycleworks Edmonton and KTM Canada

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Adam990, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Adam990

Adam990 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of the kinda words guys

Its now been 12 weeks as of today, and they phoned earlier in the week and they were supposed to have fixed the blinking snowflake icon by replacing the the whole dash, which KTM finally seems to have supplied after they sent a sensor, then told them to check the wiring, and now have finally sent a sensor......
    I'm pretty speechless about how shitty the service has been between KTM and Cycleworks, it took them almost 8 weeks to say they had the stalling issue fixed for which they apparently replaced the fuel pump (after sending the bike back to me two weeks after I dropped it off there saying they cleared the codes and it should be fine
    Now is been another 4 weeks to get the snowflake icon fixed :(
    Normally I wouldn't bother with something like the ambient temp, but since its a brand new bike with 8300km on it I would kind of like to have it fixed before it runs out of warranty at the end of next year :(
    makes me think I might have to purchase the extended warranty, or just get rid of the 09 for a '10 model

I'm really thinking of going the bad publicity way, but have a feeling that since things are so tight with everyone right now this could be a hard fight
  2. North

North Aimless Drifter

Oddometer:
    I wish you all the best in getting your Bike fixed. I just don't get it with some dealers and manufactures.

I have an 08 530 that drove me nuts for the first 5 months. But now I really love the Bike. I made several calls to KTM and had to spend money to get it running right, when it was still under warranty. That's just not right.

Anyways, I would like to get a 990 for my next Bike, but it will not be until KTM steps up to the plate and sorts these EFI problems out.
  3. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should get one, you'll have way more fun on the next DSBC ride, alot heavier to pick up though ;)
  4. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    KTM is not a member of CAMVAP and is not bound by it. It is a voluntary program in Canada. Neither is BMW for that matter.

For my part, I will support you by not purchasing anything from Cycleworks in Calgary and I was thinking about a 690. Too bad, they seemed like nice people when I was in there last week.
  5. Grizzler

Grizzler Gas Passer For Hire

Oddometer:
    So... I'm thinking about a Katoom to replace my mostly unreliable '08 GSA (or else take a spare EWS and spare battery every time I travel out of the city?). Little choice here in Edmonton for KTM support...

Anyway -- how has your bike been since you got it back? Did you trade for a 2010?

Happily ever after?

==Grizzler
  6. rean1mator

rean1mator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you should look in to your lemon laws. i know cali if the bike is in the shop for more than 30 days than you can lemon law it.
  7. rean1mator

Oddometer:
    you should look in to your lemon laws. i know cali if the bike is in the shop for more than 30 days than you can lemon law it.
  8. rean1mator

Oddometer:
    you should look in to your lemon laws. i know in cali if the bike is in the shop for more than 30 days than you can lemon law it.
  9. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really sorry to hear about your experience. It's so not cool when your new bike sits in a dealership that is suppose to be working on it for you.

I bought my 07' 990 Adventure from Cycleworks Calgary and will not do ANY business with them again. Stalling and sputtering issues, and I was charged quite steep (well, that only worked once, but they sure tried which is just as bad to me. $135 for a freaken spark plug change even though they were already there!!!) for a number of items that did not fix the problem, though it was on warranty. In the end after 3 visits, it ends up being the rear sparkplug boot continued to slip off the plug.

Also had my bike out of service for 3 weeks due to a fuel pump issue! WTF? Service at Cycleworks = poor!!! Friendly sales = NADA! Parts = MSRP (even after purchasing)

Bottom line, I am going to buy a 990R next year and have my current rides suspension modified so my wife can ride it. I am buying in Vernon, BC!!! Yup, 3 KTM dealers within an hour of my place, but I am going to buy, and service my new bike 6 HOURS away cause I have heard nothing but huge praise for Vernon Motorsports. That is all most of us want... good service with reasonable rates and a smile.

Now that my bike is off warantee, I do all the work on it. I'll be damned if I give 10 cents of business to Cycleworks.

Hope all works out for you and your bike. Hope our Cycleworks warnings carry weight with others. Word of mouth works both ways!

Taurk.
  10. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    HAHAH I bought at Vernon Motor Sports, 8 months for a tire on warranty and only after I went to the owner and complained about the service, don't kid yourself, heated grips how hard can it be? they installed them, went back the next day they weren't working they fixed them, promptly I have to say, stoped working again I fixed them at home and they have been good since. I was quoted a price, OTD but when I got there there was almost $500.00 charges on top of the OTD price but seeing as I travelled so far and did not have the quote in writing I bent over and took it like a man, but I wont buy there again. Any KTM I buy will be from Brooks Alberta and A&E

Just my $.02
  11. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tthat only helps the OP if you go back, find the sales manager, and tell him: "I was in last week and planned to buy a new 690, but since I talked to (get OP's name) I think it would be stupid of me to do business with you.". Then GTFO, don't let them sweet talk you into anything.
    Maybe a bunch of locals should go in, one at a time over a couple weeks. Look at a bike, collect a brochure, go for a test drive. Then go back and find the general manager and repeat the speech: "I was going to buy, but then I talked to John Doe, and if that's how you take care of your customers then I'm not gonna be one."
    Sales manager and general manager are often the same guy. This pretty much gaurantees the OP's bike is now a high priority.
    You could also time this so that when you go back to tell them why you are not buying a bike from them, OP is outside with a sign. Stop and talk to him on your way in, then find the sales/general manager, etc.

1911fan
    Post up! Local guys, have a good time supporting a rider in trouble.
  12. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damit! On the other hand, have not heard anything negative about Brooks A&E. All I know is Blackfoot and Cycleworks are a huge negative. Thanks for sharing your experience at Vernon Motorsports. All the reports I received were very positive. How long ago did you deal with them?
  13. Glenfilthie

Glenfilthie Banned

Oddometer:
    I hate to say it but I would be very careful about how much blame for this I would lay at the feet of KTM. I know the guys at Cycle Jerks and their reputation is not good. I won't buy anything from them and strongly advise anyone else that will listen not to either.

Those guys are a chit stain on the Edmonton motorcycle community. There is just no nice way to say it. KTM would be well advised to distance itself from that operation, IMO.

I really hope everything works out for you because for the money you paid, you should be getting top notch service and this ain't it.
  14. crazycalvin

crazycalvin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before I bought my 950 I to cycleworks and they didnt have any brochures for the 990. I asked about the poor running on the 990's and the salesman was trying to tell me how the 990 is far superior then the 950 and I should buy one and he was trying to make a deal with me. I told him I'm going in two weeks to pick up my 2006 950 for $10,000 and he told me thats a good deal and I went on my way.

That being said have you tried dealing with Riverside in St. Alberta? Maybe they will be better.
  15. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought an 08 from them in May 09, the over all experience was OK, and maybe the service issues were isolated ones, talk to them and judge for your self whether you want to deal with them or not. I know for sure at A&E if you buy from Dave he will look after you. As far as pricing goes I can't comment on that. Although if I had to pick up a bike or take one in for service I would sure as hell want to ride to Vernon as opposed to Brooks. Although it's fu%king snowing here in the Kootenays today ): not that it has anything to do with this thread but it pisses me off
  16. Filip

Filip Filip

Oddometer:
    Calgary, Alberta & beautiful Czech Republic
    and, yes, I am NOT GOING TO BUY anything from CYCLEWORKS!! I'll phone Brooks instead or just drive south of the border to pick one up & pay the duties, it'll still be cheaper anyway (around $18,500 with taxes&fees if you buy in Alberta).
    (although the 2010 should be problem-free, I sure won't get it from cycleworks calgary / edmonton)

pic is my last trip from Ushuaia to Canada (in Peru at 5,000 meters overlooking 7,000 meter peaks). I wish I had the KTM instead of the v-strom (although v-stroms are the best bikes ever as long as don't go off-road :clap

Attached Files:

17. newf

newf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try Dave out............. I've bought numerous sleds ,bikes, and my 990 from him and never have an issue... He even sent me parts on a warranty issue so I could fix it myself instead of driving to Brooks
  18. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Dave and I will be talking.
  19. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I worry that only negative stuff gets posted in forums, creating a kind of "domespeak". I'm not questioning whether all these problems with Cycleworks have occurred, but just want to say that my experience with them (and the other Edmonton dealer - Riverside - for that matter), has been nothing but positive.
    I bought my 05 950 from Edmonton Cycleworks on a consignment sale, and they went way out of their way to make it run perfect, and gave me new rubber at cost and installed free. Since then I've spent a fair bit on parts and farkles, and the service has been good and the people friendly. I recently did a valve adjustment, and when they couldn't find one size shim in inventory, the parts guy searched the shop area until he found me one - and it was on a busy Saturday!
    Although I'm a long way from Riverside and don't deal there much, the few times I have, they've been very helpful.
    Of course, this is not warranty/KTM stuff, so I can't comment on that.
    But I'm sure the hell not driving to Brooks or Vernon when I win the lotto by a new 990, 690, and Superduke:lol3
    BTW Filip, ya can't import any KTM road bike newer than 2007 from the US. Sad but true.
  20. Adam990

Adam990 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so I should bring some finality to this dead thread that I forgot about! oops!
    I eneded up getting the bike back 12 weeks to the day from when I originally took it in for the issue of the faulty fuel pump :(
    this was after weekly (or sometimes twice weekly) calls to Cycleworks and KTM Canada to keep on top of what was going down with my bike while it was in the shop
    KTM Canada and Cycleworks realised that I was pretty choked about the whole situation and offered me something out of the power parts catalog, so I ended up with a H&B Black Top Case to match my side bags.... a nice gesture, but I would have rather had the bike for those 12 weeks to ride it

Riverside KTM now gets all of my business, last year the bike went in for the 15,000km service, and I get a phone call "ummm we don't have an air filter or spark plugs" ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I was a little choked, but in the end, the spark plugs and filter came in late friday afternoon and I was able to take the bike the next day on a quick 2400km trip through BC and it ran like a dream
    they've been great to deal with for anything I need so they will be getting my next KTM purchase! I'd highly recommend them!

Adam

lol as an "afternote", I had a few pre-paid service cards from Cycleworks that I wanted to burn up so I ordered a tank bag and went in to pick it up, they still have a lonely 2010 Adventure sitting in there :( I felt bad for it and anyone else that would buy it from them