Ride Eastern Oregon

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by fastcat, May 26, 2011.

1. fastcat

fastcat fastcat

Oddometer:
    Well, it's been a little bit hit and miss for riding this May, but we have managed to get in a few great days this month.

As we're all aware, this cold winter and wet spring have held on way too long. But as winter reluctantly loosens her grip, a few hearty souls are venturing out to reclaim our rightful place on the roads and trails.

It's been extremely wet across the entire northwest this spring, but the water is finally receding and the trails are drying out. Earlier this month Dr. John Macy and I attempted to make the loop from the BearCat Lodge on the 16 road through Prairie City and back through Logan Valley. Unfortunately, we found drifted snow on Prairie Summit and were forced to back track. I can report that the road is now open and clear, the downed trees are removed and the gravel on the pavement has been swept by ODOT. Most of the forest service roads below 6,000 feet are now open to adventure riding and are in good shape.

Sport bike riding is already at its best and winter has done little damage to the pavement. We have already had many riders pass through this spring and anticipate this season in the Strawberry Mountains will be the best yet. Donn & Debi Harvey passed through yesterday on their epic 3-week journey from Seattle to Moab, Utah--watch for their ride report in the days to come.

I personally have been out scouting over the past few weeks and am happy to report that although the winter was long it was kind to most of the trails and back roads. The Forest Service is already in full swing clearing downed timber and opening up the back country for adventurers. When you come to eastern Oregon, be sure to stop by the Lodge and pick up trail markers so we can continue to let the authorities know that the routes are still in use and should not be closed. As you are aware, many places on the west side are already being shut down to our beloved activities--let's make sure that the forest is available to all to enjoy. And as motorcyclists we should be the best stewards of this resource.

Here are a few photos of early riding in the Strawberrys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a recent trip down the mountain to Burns, I was detoured around a washout on Hwy 20 to get to downtown. Hines now has a Sinclair station with non-ethynol premium.

On my way back out, I rode to the washout to take a few photos. The person walking through the field was on the way to her mailbox. The levy on the east edge of town had broke and ODOT cut a channel through the main highway to relieve the pressure. The 990 was not up to this crossing, as it was about 8 feet deep! The highway should be reopened by the time this is posted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, here's a recent sunset over the flooded Silvies River in Seneca:

[​IMG]

More tomorrow!

fastcat
  2. cinghiale

cinghiale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm headed for Oregon in June thanks for the road report. I have found Oregon to be a great state to ride in.
  3. fastcat

fastcat fastcat

Oddometer:
    I had hoped to be posting this weekend but mother nature is not cooperating.
    Seems this year we are going to have ten months of winter and two months of poor sleding.
    Memorial day weekend has been a bust so far for good weather. Yesterday it snowed pellet snow all day. But the forcast is lookin' up a bit for this week.
    Even the cat's here at the lodge have cabin fever.

Could be worse though, could live in joplin mo............fastcat
  4. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics, and I appreciate the heads-up about recent riding conditions...I'm out of here tomorrow morning heading for Whitney, and the Strawberry Mountain area via FR15/16 is on the list for Wednesday's ride.

Out of curiosity, what road were you on for the first few pics?.
  5. The.Yeti

The.Yeti n00b

Oddometer:
    Those are some nice photos. I have some property in that area and am starting to explore some of the back roads out there. I have always just had a road bike but recenly acquired a bike (v-strom) I can take off road to explore the area better.

I did a ride a few weeks ago out there and still ran into some snow drifts on the roads. Looking forward to summer actually arriving.

Where is your lodge? I will stop in sometime when I am out that way.
  6. fastcat

fastcat fastcat

Oddometer:
    The lodge is in Seneca between John Day and Burns on hiway 395 in the bear valley. Stop by anytime, coffee's always on or something stronger.....
  7. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy JW,

How deep is the basement swimming pool now?

Can I reserve a bottle of Cactus nectar in July please.

Mike in Peachland.
  8. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    As of Tuesday, NF52's blocked with snow about 10 miles north of the southern end near Granite. Ditto for NF51- it's plugged about a mile in from the same point. NF16's open all the way from OR26 to Seneca, and NF21/Fields Creek is free of snow as well.

There was a major custer-fook on westbound OR20 when I rode east Monday: the going-home flood was backing up before Santaim Pass, and the fun continued out of sight toward Bend when I left 20 to head NE and take OR126. :rofl
  9. fastcat

fastcat fastcat

Oddometer:
    Mike,
    As you all know our patented Bobcat piss is always available for medicinal purposes only at the lodge. You my have as much as you need to make the pain go away. We make no claims as to it's property's with regard to the morning after, Such as: side effects my include etc: etc: . Ask your doctor or AA sponsor if you experience any lingering symptoms. Although I did play a doctor once on a motorcycle trip I'm not licensed to pratice medicine on this planet.............fastcat
  10. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks JW.
    I don't need no doctor.

Or smilies