"Least" Ghetto areas of Riverside or San Bernardino...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by JLRzr, Feb 10, 2015.

1. JLRzr

JLRzr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning to store one of my bikes at a self storage in either Riverside (preferred) or the San Bernardino areas to facilitate my fly-in riding trips in either the Southern Mojave or the High Desert areas. I always seem to drive through Riverside no matter where I head out for riding. I love both of these towns but don't know them very well... but I do know they both (like most all towns) have some less desirable areas here and there and I would like to avoid those areas when selecting my storage facility.

Any advice on which areas in these 2 towns would put me at less risk to theft or problems?
  2. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a very secure looking, very convenient self-storage facility in Rancho Cucamonga. It's tucked behind the interstate fences along I-15 near the 210. Only one way in and seems to be surrounded by moats. Probably crocodile infested moats.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rancho+Cucamonga,+CA/@34.1338382,-117.5015985,713m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x80c35bf938112791:0xad6a7aad82f2f34b
  3. JLRzr

JLRzr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    COOL!

I am planning to disconnect some connectors, drain the gas, have the driver padlock the rear rotor, and pull the previously loosened front axel out and fedex back to me in PA... but moats are good too.

I will check it out.
  4. Dangerish

Dangerish I fall a lot

Oddometer:
    If you are storing in San Bernardino, the farther north the better. Otherwise, look east to the Highland/Redlands area. Some good riding in the hills above there.
  5. o*o

o*o Cutting fruit for campers at 30mph."

Oddometer:
    Ushuaia Argentina, Deadhorse, AK & points between.
    Los Angeles International Airport, LAX, allows 'secure' motorcycle parking for free when you park where cars do not fit. I left a bike there for 4 months on one trip. When I flew back, removed my ratty cover, unlocked my helmet I rode off for free. I think they have video monitors? If so, park in clear view of one. I would not leave a bike longer than this. LAX also offers the best airfare in the region.

I have 5 decades of experience in San Bernardino mountains but have no particular recommendation about neighborhood. I've found with international experience the specific space rather than neighborhood is more important. The worst neighborhood with an honest storage facility may be safer than Beverly Hills. A place where the owner does not market the location for fancy motorcycle storage may be preferable?

If my home in the SB mountains had not burned to the ground last May, you could have parked there. :2cry

Best of luck for an economical safe solution! :rayof
  6. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My dad says there are some storage places in West Fontana on Foothill Blvd. He says you should check to make sure there is a 24 hour attendant.

That would be closer to San Bernardino than Rancho Cucamonga, and right by the 15. Just go up and over the hill to the desert.
  7. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    There are several well run storage facilities just off the freeway in downtown Riverside, lots of people store tons of high dollar sand toys, RVs, and boats there. Check Yelp.

As you pointed out, Riverside is on the way to lots of fun places.
    Desert, river, mountains, beaches, all within a few hours.

PS I'm sorry, yanking the front axle and mailing it to PA is just plain crazy. :lol3
    What kind of bike are we talking about here anyway?
  8. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    In SB Rancho Cucamonga and in Riverside I would go with Corona.
  9. JLRzr

JLRzr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You folks are great, I just wanted to say Thanks for the advice. After all considerations, I settled on a space that is pretty near the hotel we always stay at. The bike is there now and waiting for me to arrive. If any of you are up for a off-road ride March 10-12 (any one or more of those days) please let me know. I'd like to hit the Johnson Valley area somewhere. It will just be my brother-in-law and me.