I found a 2005 950 Adventure with 106,000, anything that I should beware on this year

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by blacksheeplee, Feb 11, 2013.

1. blacksheeplee

blacksheeplee gonzo on two wheels

Oddometer:
    So I found a 2005 Adventure 950 with super high miles 106,000 but have no experience with KTM's and was wondering if I should be aware of any known issues with this bike.. Whats the most miles that anyone has seen on these bikes?

thanks
  2. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    your first bit of homework is to read the sticky "index" thread at the top of this forum.. and to answer your question more specifically, there are several known issues/weak points with the first generation 950's (although a few were addressed between 2004 and 2005 model year), but with that kind of mileage, the known issues are minor in comparison to what it may take to do a rebuild.. which is not a big project, unless your tight on money and/or skills necessary to tackle an engine rebuild. just an opinion
  3. blacksheeplee

Oddometer:

Thanks.. I live in Oregon and have lots of rainy days to work on bikes so rebuilding does not scare me but throwing tons of money at a bike with this many miles does scare me.
  4. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    The main issue is 106,000 miles. Unless it was near free, I'd avoid it.
  5. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. blacksheeplee

Oddometer:

Hmmmm, lots of work ahead if I buy this Adventure* no pun intended* . Just sold my Triumph Bonneville and down to only one motorcycle in the garage:eek1
  7. joneswgareth

joneswgareth Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer:
    Well clearly it's reliable :lol3

If cheap then I wouldn't be too put off but I would only buy a bike with this mileage with a view to stripping down and checking/changing worn parts. It may need a freshen up but if your well versed in those things - which I imagine you are having owned a Bon - then could be well worth it. If you after a bike you could ride right away for a few years without worrying about it then maybe you should look elsewhere.
  8. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    There's 2005, then there's 2005.5. There were several significant improvements introduced in the '05.5 model, but most/all were probably sorted on this bike.....by necessity..... to get beyond, say, 30K. 2005.5 marked the first "knee in the curve" for the 950ADV.
  9. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Is this MY ADVs bike? His is a 2005.5. He has over 100k on it. Only mention it because he's in Gresham OR.

If it's not his bike, send him a PM and I'm sure he'll have advice for you.

With this many miles it depends on price as there has to be a ton of 05/06 bikes with <30k miles available on the used market.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813023
  10. mike.l

mike.l Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It all depends on you, and whether you wanna work on a proper good motorcycle!
    There's always the next thing to do on any bike you own,
    whatever the millage.
  11. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    if it has been maintained, then it "should" be fine. If its the 106k mile bike that I think that you are looking at (black with orange seat), the sub frame is bent, which is pretty easy to bend back by chaining the whole bike down to the floor and pulling on the subframe to get it back into shape.

then there is everything else.... but if the price is right, say less than $1500, then its probably worth it provide the engine isn't completely spent.
  12. blacksheeplee

Oddometer:

It's the black with orange seat bike. Subframe should be easy enough to fix and I could use a buddies frame machine to do some good even pulls. I guess it all depends on how cheap I can pick it up..I'm not looking for a bike to overland on but a trip to Baja to escape the rain would be nice:rayof
  13. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    1500? really? here you cant even pick up a barely running well worn down XR for that kind of money!
  14. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    The one thing assumption about this bike that could be made is it was running when the damage happened and therefore it should run after a few things are taken care of, like the carbs getting cleaned and changing the oil/filters. My price pain threshold on this particular motorcycle would start at about $1200 and limit at $1500. Considering the unknown nature and condition of the bike things can get rather expensive quickly.
  15. blacksheeplee

Oddometer:

Thanks Head2Wind.. I think that your totally correct on the price limit and just want a bike that I can cruise BLM, Forest Service Roads..