Calgary & Area Tracks

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Alaska & Canada' started by Lycan1, May 16, 2013.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    sky.high likes this.
  2. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Nice work Lee. I'll get my act together soon and post some of the dual-sport friendly tracks I have collected from the Crowsnest area.
  3. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    I dont want to plug up this thread with chatter, but wanted to thank Lycan for posting these, they look great! Gives me motivation to finally upgrade my GPS to easily track some good routes I know of.

Cheers!
  4. Sbolin

Sbolin n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Hopefully I'll get to use some of them
  5. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree as I just stumbled across this thread....good job Lycan. :clap
    Now I just have to get out there. :D
  6. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing those nice track with us! I'm planning a trip to Alberta and BC, your post are very helpfull!
  7. Hail_TX

Hail_TX Middle Aged Crazy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the GPX files to play with Lee! My training begins! Thanks for your dedication to the community as well!

BTW - my issue with downloading was IE11. I had to go in to tools and compatibility settings and add ADVrider.com to the compatibility view.
  8. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neither Mapsource nor Basecamp were able to open Koot Loop.
  9. Jisei

Jisei Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The route descriptions helps out. Thanks for posting.
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the track files. Planning a trip to your area in September and incorporated a bunch of your tracks

:freaky
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Burnstick.JPG

I decided to Rebuild this thread little by little. Some people actually appreciate the help it can give and screw the haters!

A nice little back-road run through Water valley and Sundre to Burnstick Lake. Suitable for any bike that can handle gravel. There is a short section of black dirt surface that would be difficult or impassable if really wet. The campground at Burnstick Lake is very nice for tenting, with tables, fire pits and wood available from the hosts.

IMG_0712 (2).jpg
    Campsite 37 at Burnstick lake.

IMG_0721.jpg
    Fall at Burnstick Lake, Alberta

Attached Files:

12. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Powderface Loop.JPG

The Powder Face Trail loop is a nice loop, about 50% gravel, and big bike friendly. West of Bragg Creek.

IMG_0613.jpg
    About 3 kilometers north (facing south) of the end of Hwy 66.

IMG_0598.jpg
    The halfway point in the Valley along Powderface trail

Attached Files:

DanielC, woollybut and The Maz like this.
  13. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Rainy Ridge.JPG

A nice wandering back-road route that takes you into the southern Castle Mountain wetlands. It gets somewhat challenging south of the Ski hill. The trail gets pot holed and steep, but both a 990 Adventure and KLR 650 made it to within a couple of kilometers of the BC border. After that the trail was too narrow, loose and steep to safely carry on with big bikes. There are great spots for camping like Castle Falls or Beauvais Lake.

IMG_0809.jpg
    Castle Valley road north of the ski hill. Gravel Super Highway!

IMG_0822.jpg
    About 3 kilometers east of the BC border, and end for big bike running unless you are my hero!

Attached Files:

DanielC likes this.
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Ram Falls Loop.JPG

Calgary to Ram Falls is another easy loop with about 50% Gravel along the trunk road past Ram Falls Campground. If you have never stopped at the falls you should, very nice. You won't see them from the bridge on the road. The campground is nice, but try to get a spot on the east end away from the dust of the road. Fuel is available in Nordegg at the store, and at Mountain Aire Lodge (not always) along the trunk road.

Ram falls.jpg
    Ram Falls at the south side of the campground.

Dusty campsite near the west side of campground. Too near the trunk road. Get the ones further east in the campground if you can.

trunk road bridge at ram falls.jpg
    The bridge (sponsored by KTM ;) ) just south of the campground entrance on the trunk road.

Attached Files:

DanielC likes this.
  15. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Trans Alta Road.JPG

This is a fairly local run, northwest of Cochrane, and makes a nice half day or full day run. The road entrance is off the trunk road immediately past Richards road on the north side of the pavement, not far north of the village of Waiprous. The road is usually badly pot-holed, sometimes rutted and has one low area that stays muddy late into spring. There is camping available in many spots along it's length and ends in the Ghost river Valley north of the Banff Park boundary. The last hill down to the valley is usually chewed up and has lots of loose rock in the tire ruts. Be Sure of your ability to get back up before descending, but in reality even worn out K-60 Heidenaus pulled my 990 up it many times without drama. The Valley itself is a large rocky river flood plain and can be fun to ride on, with easily spotted trails along the berms. It is very picturesque. Banff Park Boundary is south west from the bottom of the hill into the Valley at a point called "Devils Gap" and NO MOTORIZED vehicles are permitted to pass into the park, so please respect that. Going north along the berm trails will bring you to the river eventually and is a nice run. The trail continues on to Phantom Crag but is a snow mobile trail and crossing the river with motorized vehicles is not allowed and can land you a fine by "Fish & Feathers" who I have seen patrolling on multiple occasions. Respecting the rules will help keep the trails open for future riders so please be respectful.

IMG_0827.jpg
    Ghost River Valley floor.

IMG_0824.jpg
    Top of the hill before the decent to the Ghost River Valley.

Attached Files:

DanielC likes this.
  16. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Drum and Dinos.JPG Easy gravel and paved from Calgary to Rosedale through Rockyford, Rosebud and Wayne Alberta. Backroads that any large barge could do.

On a sunny summer day the smells of the crops lining the roads will add to the relaxing, easy run east as you zigzag your way across a mixture of paved and gravel roads toward the town of Rosebud. As you start to head northeast and get nearer Rosebud you will run along irrigation canals and catch glimpses of old defunct rail lines that follow and cross the river valleys. The valleys carve their way through an otherwise gently rolling landscape, but can offer some dramatic viewpoints.

Rosebud is a tiny community known for its dinner theater and a wander around the picturesque town is well worth the time.

Mainly for the scenery around Drumheller and Dorothy. Campground at Dinosaur Provincial Park marked. 250 km fuel range recommended. Brooks to Calgary uses Canal roads from Milo into Carseland and was un-gated at the time of this post.

IMG_0131.jpg
    RR 274a

IMG_0321.jpg
    Last Chance Saloon in Wayne, AB

Attached Files:

DanielC likes this.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Margaret Lake.JPG

This is another run that branches of Waiprous Valley Road heading west off the trunk road. It can be done by larger dual-sport bikes but is much more fun (I imagine) on smaller more dirt specific machines. Weight is definitely your enemy here. The trail is very rocky, has been scooped out by 4X4's and has lots of puddles along its length. A group of us on various machines, my 990 Adventure being the biggest did this. I had trouble on one of the steeper, loose hills but made it the second try. The last hill before the muddy section by the lake I opted to sit out. Good off road tires (TKC's or more aggressive would be advisable) and better not to do this run solo unless you are very confident about your abilities. It does see a fair amount of jeep traffic and dirt bikes on weekends.

IMG_0522.jpg
    Boys never outgrow getting dirty while playing.

IMG_0526.jpg
    Margaret Lake in the background.

Video from Youtube:

Attached Files:

18. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Limestone.JPG

Another nice trail on the West side of the trunk road a little farther north than Mountain Aire Lodge. You should fuel there if you plan to do this run. The trail is easy, almost right to the Radio tower, with about the last 200 yards very rocky. It makes for a good workout steering your bike across the lumpy surface trying to find a good line across the baseball sized (and bigger) rocks. The view on a sunny day is amazing and the fire lookout tower can be ridden out to if you are comfortable riding loose and sometimes fairly steep surfaces. Again a small dual-sport would have the advantage past the radio tower (and gate). It can get really windy on top. I did it on My 990 Adv., but did not go past the radio Tower, as I did not believe my worn rear tire would get my bike back up the hill. It is worth getting at least that far just for the views!

IMG_1173.jpg
    Looking North East from the tower

IMG_1176.jpg
    The Rock Garden

Attached Files:

DanielC likes this.
  19. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Grande Southern Loop.JPG

Mostly Big bike friendly, I have done all this on my 990 loaded with camping gear. This ride is approximately 858 km round trip. Payne Lake at the southern end is my favorite alternative to Crandell Mountain campsite in Waterton, and much less crowded.

The ride will take you through a wide variety of landscapes, the most mountainous along Dutch creek and Allison roads which are also the most challenging sections and should be avoided early (or late) in the season.

The Porcupine Hill section is one of my favorite areas other than Dutch Creek, and east Sharples road is a highlight. The entire route gives ample opportunity for photo ops and even those that have grown up in Alberta will find plenty to enjoy along its length.

IMG_0450.jpg
    Just before Dutch creek road turns south to Allison Creek road.

IMG_0118.JPG
    Payne Lake sunset from the dock.

Attached Files:

DanielC likes this.
  20. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Calgary to Cochrane.JPG

A little loop around the south west area of Calgary, Turner Valley over Powderface to Cochrane without hitting the Trans Canada or Hwy 22. Make sure to fuel in Turner valley unless to have really good range. This is big bike friendly.

IMG_0483.jpg
    About midway along Powderface trail in a nice Valley.

IMG_0669.jpg

Attached Files: