WBDR E-burg fire re-route

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by hayshaker, Aug 15, 2012.

1. hayshaker

hayshaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a possible re-route for the WBCDR due to the fire closures near Ellensburg Washington. Reecer Creek Road is closed to through traffic as of 8-13-12 because of the Taylor Bridge Fire.

I do not know the Wenatchee/Squilchuck/Stemilt area all that well and welcome ideas and suggestions. This thread is just a start to provide info to those that are in the process of trip planning. It is hard to say how long the roads will be closed. With SR 97 and HWY 10 being close I chose NOT to send the route to Liberty.

TONY

View attachment Eburg fire reroute.gpx
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tony!
  3. pdxmarcus

pdxmarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Much obliged, Tony!
  4. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    tony, watching the local news looked like the fire may have been located west of the wind generators, just off of 97.

Do you know if they closed down NF-35? It may be possible to route out of Ellensburg north on Wilson Creek to NF-3517 to NF-35....This would keep Table mtn and Mt Lillian in the route if that is the case....You're route also works, and one could back track to Mt Lillian.
  5. hayshaker

Oddometer:

Latest fire map http://www.co.kittitas.wa.us/response/20120813-fire/201208151800-fire-map.pdf

My professional instinct is to recommend staying well away from the fire area for a couple of weeks at best. Even though the fire has not burned to there still makes me think that the roads will be closed due to evacuations and firefighter safety. It might be possible to route up through Coleman Canyon to Naneum Bridge to Grouse Springs to tie into Liberty/Beehive Road but is not an easy route on a big bike. It's something I would do but don't know everyones riding capabilities.

Another option might be to go all the way into Cle Elum and use 970. There is a road to Liberty/Beehive that goes almost directly to Haney Meadows but seems out of the way to me with the closures on 97 near Ellensburg.
  6. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    You still thinking Colockum Road is a option as well ?
  7. hayshaker

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have not seen any mention of a closure there. The route I posted keeps you out of the worst rocks by using Naneum Ridge to Jump Off Joe Road. It also uses the most dirt I can think of in that area as opposed to staying on Colokum Pass all the way down to Malaga. If you stay on Colokum to the North it gets pretty rocky for a few miles.

If the down log in Mission is an issue then you could go through Malaga to #2 Canyon and hit that bypass posted months ago.

Hmmm..if Colokum is open then Coleman probably is too. That may be another option along with the route out to Mission Peak. It offers a good view.

It is just hard to say when things will return to normal.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    thanks for the update.
  9. dukegnarley

dukegnarley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the update, I'm leaving the gorge on the 1st
  10. hayshaker

Oddometer:
  11. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Meaning the Taylor Bridge fire is snuffed and route open Tony ?
  12. hayshaker

Oddometer:
    Not out.... but under control (I still have a fire truck and crew there). If you look at the map it shows some road closures but Reecer Creek is not one of them. I'm hoping someone gives it a try and posts back if it is open.

TONY
  13. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the current info Tony
  14. Yukondoit

Yukondoit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any other information about this closure?

I'm headed South (Doing it backwards just like Canucklehead) and came across the gate closed at the end of Mission Creek Rd (at the start of NF 7100) at the Cashmere end. Something about repairing the damage from the 2012 fire.

I tried to re-route but my dang gps put me into some super narrow single track that eventually turned into a 12% grade. Didn't it know it was dealing with someone of questionable skills. At that point, late in the day, I headed for my sisters in Enumclaw with my tail between my legs.

I'd like to do this section as it looks to have great views and camping spots. Anyone know how far the road closure extends.

Also, I know this might not be the right thread but are there more closures in the Southern sections?

And finally I did run across a high lead logging operation smack dab in the middle of the trail just north of Cashmere. They were kind enough to let me go through. If you're going north there will be plenty of warning but coming south I was almost on top of them before I realized it.
  15. hayshaker

Oddometer:
    We rode much of the same section that you were having trouble with over the weekend. The logging equipment was sitting in the road but was easy to sneak through. The WABR thread in the Northwest forum should have a suggested re-route. All you had to do was ride through Wenatchee and catch the Liberty/Beehive Road to get back on the route. This is a better route rather than the "fire re-route" I posted. I'll strip out those track files and post them.
  16. Yukondoit

Yukondoit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your prompt reply hayshaker. I'll head over to that forum ASAP.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2