Wallee's Dr350 build!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Wallee, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Wallee

Wallee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I thought I would talk with you guys here and get some ideas and info on Fixing up my dr350. I have seen a thread or two people in the past have made on this subject but it takes hours and hours of reading through those to find stuff. So I would like to make my own thread and share my progess. This build is going to be as fast as I can but will be limited at times as money comes in to do what I need to do. So far I purchased my bike and have installed new rings, had the head gone through by a local head shop, new valves, new gasket kit, and cleaned the carb. Bike only has 9k miles on it so not to bad and the top end is fresh now anyways!

Parts ordered so Far are: New Clarke gas cap, as the old one was missing seal and had been painted for some reason lol, New front and rear acerbis universal fit fenders, and acerbis ce certified tail light!

Fill me in on your vast knowledge of this 350!

[​IMG]
  2. Wallee

Wallee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New plastics installed, having trouble with wiring my acerbis universal tail light. Green blue and yellow wire on the new light. Old wires are black brown white. Black goes to green I believe but whenever I hook up either of the other two they engage the break light. If I hook up one or the other (yellow or blue) one works the running light one is the brake light. Scratching my head still lol
  3. Wallee

Wallee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. Soldier311

Soldier311 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wallee,
    Why did you feel the need to do new rings, valves, head work, etc. with less than 10K miles on it?
  5. Wallee

Wallee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No compression when I bought it. I bought it for 600$ not running. Bent valve as well
  6. Soldier311

Soldier311 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, yeah, that would make sense then. Did you find anything specific that was causing it? Valve stuck open, perhaps?
  7. Wallee

Wallee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My friend did the rebuild for me and he didn't say. He just showed me the stuff and took the heads in to the head shop. Next rebuild on any bike I have to I want to try to do it myself!
  8. jesse soric

jesse soric Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wallee, regarding your brake light. Mine did the same thing and it turned out it was the switch. I just fiddled with the switch height until it worked. Was an easy fix.
  9. Tukata

Tukata ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer:
    What's the budget?

I loved the way it rode after I re-did the suspension on the cheap.
    Get a dr350 offroad shock with the external resivoir for dirt cheap, aftermarket spring, race tech gold valve, and hybrid shock time.
    Set of springs and new fluid in the front. Or add the gold valves also

Carb is a piece of junk
    I used a drz400s carb, but others use the mikuni or expensive pumper

Petcock- throw it away and get raptor with the Clark tank

I removed a few unesassary brackets that you probably already did with the new fender

Moose skid plate is awesome and cheap

Bars are crap as most stock bars
    Probably get some risers

Exhaust is personal preference
    Most people see no gains from an exhaust, but stock is so quiet you forget it's running. Jesse it think does a $65 mod to the stock exhaust that sounds better.

What are you wanting to do to it?
  10. Wallee

Wallee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking to maybe make it into a supermoto, but I want to keep my dirt set! Figured out the tail light and got it fixed! How did the drz carb work out? Easy to install?
  11. Tukata

Tukata ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer:
    DRZ carb was awesome.
    It ran a thousand times better, but you need to use a different size clamp for the connectors. The drz400e clamp works(I had a parts bike) and let me think about the air snorkel(may have used the drz400e also, but don't remember)

Just re-route the 350 throttle cables and your golden.
  12. Wallee

Wallee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did it pep the bike up any?
  13. Wallee

Wallee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out my rear fender set up.
    [​IMG]
    Also seat cover and new gas cap arrived today!!!
  14. Tukata

Tukata ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes but the bike is not as fast as a drz on pep.
    The 6 speed is soooooooo nice for on the road.

I like them geared down a little and I've seen some nice big bore kits but honestly the bike rode very well just re geared and minor mods. If you want a really fast super moot you need a 450+
  15. Wallee

Wallee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eventually plan to get a wr450 but the dr350 will do for now! I really enjoy riding it off road! Will definitely look into that carb swap!
  16. AleksTheGreat

AleksTheGreat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heres when I bought it

[​IMG]

here's what I had to do

[​IMG]

Here's what it looks like now

[​IMG]
  17. feetchermancj

feetchermancj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What size jets are you running with that exhaust and do you have the air box opened up? I recently bought a 96se with the same exhaust and an opened up air box.
  18. AleksTheGreat

AleksTheGreat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea on the jets. The bike came stock and the only reason I replaced the exhaust was because the stock one was dirty and rusty.

No mods to air box.

I'm tossing around the idea of getting a gsxr can like the dr650 guys do since it's still a bit too loud for me even though I added baffles to the DG exhaust.
  19. Wallee

Wallee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My seat sits kinda high in the back because of the rounded acerbis fender. The maier fender sold at kientech looks to be dished out to help the seat sit lower? Suggestions??
  20. Soldier311

Soldier311 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aleks, did you simply paint your frame or have it powder coated? It looks much better regardless.