Serious Design Flaw: Super Enduro!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Yellow Pig, Sep 10, 2012.

1. 2torqued

2torqued Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I must have one.
    Just received an email from Adventure Spec and they will not be making any more. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  2. olec

olec Rookie

Oddometer:
    The last picture in this post http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11213395&postcount=2143 shows how I fixed the issue on the SE. My rad started to bend, but I just mounted two thicker / strong steel bars on each side going from the BD bashplate to the free mounting threads (for crash bars?) higher up on the sides. Held up very well for two years and no more issues.
  3. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:

Here is the issue w/ the BD vs the G-IT:

[​IMG]
  4. LAKEMONSTER

LAKEMONSTER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys, boy oh boy, do i wish i bought my SE when it first came out? However i picked mine up as one of the last ones available. Iv'e had it for two Seasons now, and built, and tested a few Trinkets for it, including my Version of a Skid Plate.
    I am surprised at the interest, and demand for product for the Bike still, so yes, i am building a run of Plates.

I have been Machining, and Fabricating Motorcycle parts for years, that include everything from one-off Aluminum
    Subrames, to Stainless Steel Clipons, rearsets, fuel tanks, swapping front forks around, yada, yada.

I am working on getting a Website done, so people can find me, and i will be producing a few different Off-Road, and Adventure parts (mostly KTM) for now.

You can get in touch with me here, or my business email... info@mvmotoventure.ca

I have had some difficulty posting Pics on ADV, so thanks to BIG-E for doing a little PR work for me! My Machining skills outweigh my Computer abilities by a Factor of 10... This is good, No? Cheers!!!
  5. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    So then the force is transfered to a bolt through the engine? Sounds perfect remount the kickstand to prevent a cracked engine then mount the skidplate to it. Lol.
  6. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little misleading. Not the same troublesome mounting point.
  7. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Traveltoad actually posted the pictures as I can't figure it out either. I sent him the pictures that you sent me, and they look really good, showing the bike resting on nothing but the plate, and no give.

Thanks TT!!

I can't wait to get my plate!:clap
  8. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I have to say... this plate looks good.

Once reading this thread I jumped at the chance to buy the very last G-iT plate for the SE, if it hand not landed yesterday I would be in line for one of these.

Feel free to make one extra... you know... just in case!
  9. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    More pics from BIG-E:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Again, this is mostly a concern on the SE, not the ADV.

The ADV skid plate bolts to a cast aluminum subframe in the front.
  11. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    If Lakemonster is so anal he puts tie wire on his oil screen bolts the details on the plate are probably well sorted. :rofl

I think I'll keep a few hundred bucks in my pocket and modify my Blackdog a bit, should be a few holes to drill and a simple bracket to bend up, maybe BDCW can build others and upgrade kit?
  12. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing!
  13. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much Traveltoad!

Notice how there is no screws in the front in the oil tank?

[​IMG]

Mike said that with all the weight on just the plate, (it mounts center and rear) it doesn't move at all. Thats not to say that I am not going to test this out, but I like this plate and the very first one will be on the way hopefully next Monday!!:clap

Take care Everyone, Eric.
  14. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can see in the below picture that the center bolts are threaded 8mm. Not all SE's shipped with this setup. Some, including my own, had these holes bored out to accept a 10mm though bolt. I've opened them up myself on other blocks without too much effort. A pass though 10mm bolt and nut is what I use on my plate to prevent these from shearing off and damaging the case.

15. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    As always... good info Ken.
  16. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Because I didn't know about lakemonster's masterpiece... I now have the very last of these on my bike.

[​IMG]
  17. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it doesn't use the same bolt hole as the kickstand. Just saying mounting something that could possibly take the full weight of the bike times whatever force caused it to bottom is a bad idea. Ie the kickstand that's why we move them.

I beat the shit out of my se and never had a problem with my bd skid plate. Its so bent and battered from getting the shit kicked out of it that its time for a new one. Years of abuse and 1000 miles of Vegas to reno will do that.
  18. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    The dotted line was just to illustrate the hinge effect of the skid plate.
  19. LAKEMONSTER

LAKEMONSTER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anal, who me ??? Ha, Ha, Guilty as charged... As i was going back to school in 97 to become a Machinist,
    my girlfriend at the time used to kid me, i was going to be the only Machinist in the Province that went to work
    wearing a Tie? Not good to get caught in the Milling Machine though? Perhaps a Bow Tie?

The Safety Wiring comes from doing Track Days also. I saw Photos of a friend of mine flying through the air, four feet off the ground entering the Carousel in Seattle (SIR) He went to grab a handful of brake, and the lever went right to the Bars,
    because the Brake Caliper had come off... Forgot to tighten, NO Safety wiring... NASTY.

Ever since then, anything with Motor Oil behind it, or Brake Pads, get the wire treatment. I sleep better?

BTW, Triplenickel, i used to live in CR before i moved to the Okanagan, Cheers!
  20. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you built a nice plate for sure, how long ago were you in CR?