lightest pipe for the F8GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by KLRscoob, Nov 23, 2010.

1. KLRscoob

KLRscoob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking for a new pipe. Anyone know what the lightest pipe for the F8GS is? I am looking at the Leo Alloy, any feedback?
    Thanks
  2. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a general rule of thumb, carbon fiber is always the lightest. Followed by aluminum, then titanium. I'm talking strictly weight here, NOT STRENGTH. Again the lightest material, from lightest to heaviest:

1) Carbon Fiber
    2) Aluminum
    3) Titanium

In the strength dept, it changes. From strongest to weakest:

1) Titanium
    2) Carbon Fiber
    3) Aluminum
  3. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I wouldn't look only at weight, you want the thing to be strong enough to last a while don't you?

I have a LeoVince carbon and a Remus Hexacone Titanium here. The Leo is a bit lighter, but makes a less solid impression. They also burn out their packaging quite quickly in my experience, while the Remus stuff seems to hold up longer.

Price is definitely in favor of the LV though...
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Thickness for thickness alloy is lighter than Ti but generally on a Ti pipe they are much thinner in the wall on the cans due to strength thus they are usually lighter in Ti than Alloy.

Most slip-ons seem to be pretty good but MIVV seem to have had quite a few failures on their carbon cans, just make sure the mounting is substantial for adv riding and knocks.
  5. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    The Beowulf stubby with CF cap is by far the lightest, most durable, awesomest, and best pipe available. It's made from Unobtanium which is lighter then Carbon Fiber and Aluminum and Titanium, and in that order. I know it's the bestest since I have one.
    In case you missed the first list, here's another to demonstrate how much lighter it is, in this lightest to heaviest order because zero is lighter than one clearly.

0) Unobtanium
    1) Carbon Fiber
    2) Aluminum
    3) Titanium

It's so awesome I have an extra one I'll sell you for $25.

:hide
  6. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

Sigh... at the risk of getting off topic your post requires some clarification.

First everything you said is true in some way.

BUT when you apply the different materials to products that are supposed to be lightweight and high strength the difference between weight and strength takes another turn.

For instance... while Ti is heavier than aluminum pound for pound a component designed for lightweight and strength will take advantage of TI's high strength to weight ration and the ability to use it in thin sheets. This means that Ti components are lighter than aluminum components because they are designing for the same strength.

Carbon fiber ultimately (pun intended) is the strongest material per weight because of the nature of composites. Not all carbon fiber is the bi-directional weave we are able to order off the shelf and what 99% of consumer goods are made of. The uni directional and multi directional weaves that are combined to create a layered composite that is lighter and stronger than any uniform material. I have handled uni directional carbon fiber and it is a strange beast, when you hold it in your hands it starts to fall apart because there is almost no strength perpendicular to the strands but combined with other layers you gain a massive amount of strength in the direction oriented parallel to the strands.

Also, I think carbon is stronger than Ti if you compare the tensile strength of a unidirectional bar to a bar the same diameter of Ti, but I couldn't find data in a short time to back that up.

There are a couple more factors to consider when you purchase an item such as a muffler.

The walls of the muffler are not structural so you don't need a high strength material, you need a thin material that resists impact and heat. Ti can be made into very thin sheets that are lightweight and strong, therefore this material should always be advantageous over aluminum. Carbon mufflers can be made lighter than Ti but they can not withstand impact, carbon is brittle and will not flex like Ti can.

Carbon also has phenomenal heat dissipation and on my SV650SF full carbon exhaust I can place my naked hand on the end of the muffler after a day's worth of full power riding and not get burned...

I like the Akrapovic exhaust for the 800 because it has a Ti body and a carbon tip.
  7. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I wasn't taking into account wall thickness of the pipe material. I was just simply stating "general" about the materials themselves. Considering wall or sheet thickness is definitely important though. :thumb

For OP, typically CF pipes are the lightest though.
  8. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    I heard they had stopped making these due to no being able to buy the right size holes anymore.

They also said that they could no longer colour match holes due to the rareness, it really hard to find what you want these days. :evil
  9. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

Awesome, now my Unobtianium Beowulf exhaust is worth more than $25! :freaky

$30 and it's yours to whoever the lucky buyer is!
  10. Trout

Trout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love how this turned into a conversation about materials and not execution. :norton

Most manufacturers list weights on their websites. For the two cans I've had on my bike:

Remus Ti Hex: 2.5 kg
    QD Ti: 2.82 kg

If you really want to loose some weight look at the difference in header weight listed on Remus' site - 5.6kg vs. 2.9kg!

I have a full QD system - headers and can - love the setup. I run with the baffle in all the time. Nice sound without being obnoxious.
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your statement is correct...... And as you stated..... rather than compare the material based on their thickness........One need to focus on the actual cans....... Like what was said........ The TI.....are applied in very thin sheets to take advantage of it`s tensile strength.......Which makes for a very light can.....Perhaps rivaling CF......Did I just say that....:huh....I do want to inject that in relations to the above...... Only poor fabed CF will not flex better than the TI..... And there are plenty of those out there. Soooooo....that said there are variables .....and perhaps we should focus on the op question.....which one is lighter....... Only way to figure this out....is to weigh them....... I`m in Tucson......not due home until next tuesday.....but can weigh mine.......for comparison.:thumb:thumb

Erling