"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE - Archive

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by jay723, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That can of fish has long been opened and stinks!! Do a search in general not regional.
  2. Mototrekker

Mototrekker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I'll try not to bother you any more.
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think there are also lots of threads on Thumpertalk.com
  4. geosouth

geosouth n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm a newbie and struggling with the site, a little bit. I'm trying to figure out which GPS system works best here in Southern California. The last (read; only) GPS I had was a Magellan 300 Roadmate. Said GPS got lifted from my brand new truck while family daying it at Crystal Cove State Park. Which sucks on one hand, but now I've gotta step into the new decade on the other hand, which doesn't suck. Nough said? When I put 'GPS ratings' in the search function it doesn't recognize 'GPS' because its too short? Anyway, I would sure appreciate some feedback about the systems that are being used and why. I have not yet pulled the trigger on a bike, either. Its between the two most widely reported on this forum though; the DR and the KLR. Actually leaning toward the DR in that I live in Running Springs, CA and forest roads are aplenty. I would really like a system that I could put on my bike and then pop into the car. That maybe asking for too much, though. I looked at the hand helds and there doesn't seem to be a reroute function, which would be nice. Oh yeah, can we keep it under $600.00 or so, please? I see these $1200.00 units and I'm sure they're dope, but f^&k! Thanks in advance for shedding some light for me. :lol3
  5. CaliforniaRob

CaliforniaRob Mmmm!!! Aadveentuure aghh

Oddometer:
    Hey Geosouth,
    I also live in running springs ca. and ride these trails about every other weekend. I am also in the market for a good quality gps unit. My buddies that come up here and ride have the garmin 60cx and 60csx series units. they seem to work very well up here and so far any where else in the western united states, prices seem to retail around $500.00 but, i've seen them cheaper on line like at overstock.com and other internet sites, also touratech makes some nice handelbar mounts for these units. I'm planing to buy one of these units as soon as I can afford one. Also DR or KLR ? Either one would be a good choice for riding in this aera. I think the klr has a bigger fuel tank, but you can always put an IMS oversize fuel tank on the DR if you ever wanted more range.. I have a DRZ400s and a KTM 450 EXC (Dualsported) and the wife rides a DR200, Anyway check out GARMIN.COM under the outdoor section, they have all kinds of info ...........Well, maybe we will see you on the trails, ......:freaky
  6. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    if you want both trail and car use out of the gps, it would be hard to beat the garmin gps V. i have one and just love it!!! it will do evveryhting you need it to do ont he trail plus it has all the auto route features that makes car use very helpful.

as for price, if you go to www.cycoactive.com you can buy everything you need for under $500. that includes the unit, the custom ram mount, all cables and attachments. i have the black and white screen but the color would probably be nice (more money) and i think it may have more memory.

but anyways, look around the cycoactive site, i promise that you will find what you need.

here is a pic of my set up on my LC4

this is the mount for th eunit;

[​IMG]

with the reciever in;

[​IMG]

and on my yamaha,

[​IMG]

good luck,

laramie :beer
  7. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    276 c without a doubt
  8. dpop24

dpop24 n00b

Oddometer:
    Northern Cali, but I went with the 60Cx. It's got everything you need, great performance, plus a color screen and removable/upgradeable memory. The Ram mounting option is way cheaper and has turned out to be pretty solid.

As for bikes, don't overlook the KTM 640 Adventure and LC4. Once you go orange, you'll never go back!
  9. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
  10. prince_ruben

prince_ruben Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK. I want to buy a GPS system but the dazzling array of choices and price ranges, functrion has left me stupified. Garmin seems to be more popular than the magellan but which is better to have? OK, for the garmin I'm looking at the Garmin V. It's inexpensive and introductory. Now, the 60csx I'm interested in as well. Is it better to just buy the 60csx in the beginning instead of buying the V and upgrading later?

Noe Magellan. I like the Explorist XL. Is the Magellan any better than Garmin?

Basically for my needs I want to plan routes (on the PC and sometimes on the road), also to have a device that can automatically reroute my course in the even that I take a wrong turn, and also has a backlit screen.

I'm begging for advice. Your fellow rider....
  11. ssbnveteran

ssbnveteran Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan of Garmin.

If you're going to use only on the bike, get one with a bigger screen. Something like the Gamin 276 or 376.
  12. Tankboy

Tankboy Now older and fatter!

Oddometer:
    I use a Garmin GPS 60CS, right after I bought it they came out with the newer model with removable memory - the bastards. Even so, I'm happy with it. I do wish the screen were a little larger, but I also use it for geocaching, so it's a nice compromise.

About routing - the software you use will make the difference there. Software of course, is not included. The Garmin TOPO does NOT route, but it has some damned fine maps for back country riding. The Garmin City Navigator software DOES route. Maps are not as detailed terrain wise, but you'll be surprised how many little goat trails made their way onto that software. I use both, you can load both on your GPSr at the same time.

Routing is a double edged sword - sometimes the GPSr version of the best way to get somewhere leaves a lot to be desired; but if you have no idea it's better than getting lost.
  13. cbmwgs

cbmwgs Retired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been using a 76C for 3 years on my GS and have had no issues with it. When the 76Cx came out, I upgraded (brother got the 76C) I have had no issues with the screen size. I have used it in the car and on the bike.
    The 60Cx has a $50.00 rebate on it now. You can get one for $300.00 net after the rebate.

Its the way to go.
  14. prince_ruben

prince_ruben Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just won a Garmin GPS V for $100. Good buy?
  15. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    for a hundred bucks thats a good intro to gps- i started with it and moved on to the 276c ---but thats like 6 or 7 bills--but you get fast redraw ie the map redraws quickly when you zoom, a colour screen thats larger, 700 point tracks instead of 250 yada yada yada---yea thats a good deal
  16. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    excelent unit.

if a first time buyer was ready to go all out,get a 276c and an auto kit if need be.

or

GPSV , I still like it a lot and would not give it up for anything.I brought it as backup for the 276 I gave my father.I pulled it out to "high mark" a few waypoints on my own GPS.I wouldn't like it side by side with the fast and colorful 276.but on its own,it can draw a route right out of the box.
    go V
  17. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    GPSV will only ever store 19MB of maps.
    I recomend finding an old roads and recreation cd
    or the new lakes regions one is supposed to have all the roads and less MB per county.

19MB should hold at least a whole state or two
  18. furiousfart

furiousfart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just up graded to a etrex legend Cx from the c. Mainly to beable to increase the storage space. While the screen is small I find it works fine and I like that I can use it when hiking.
  19. akevans

akevans 1200 GSA

Oddometer:
    I bought a refurbished Garmin 2610 about a year ago, and it's been great. It's the same unit that BMW uses for their branded navigator, without the extra buttons. It has large buttons, touch screen, easy to navigate with gloves. Holds up well in rain, etc. If you search on pricegrabber.com, you can find some good deals.
  20. ArbyNav

ArbyNav Boxer Fan

Oddometer:
    I've used both Garmin and GPS, owned one of each - a very early Garmin and a SportTrak pro. Both worked okay - although technology overtakes each designe pretty quickly. Some feedback I've seen in aother areas is that Magellan doesn't do the best job of updating the software or the base maps in their units - my experience is that Garmin updates its stuff a little faster and may have some better customer support. Magellan tends to be more price competitive than Garmin. If I was going to buy again, I think I'd go for the Garmin - they have some good StreetPilot models that are weather resistant. I'd want to wait until the next set of GPS signal chips is in them - the latest version is a 20 channel receiver that works much better in heavy urban areas and begins tracking much faster - if you look in the specs you'll see it listed as the SirfIII. It's in only the top end models now, but should drift into the other models in a bit.
    ArbyNav
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.