New fork springs - what should i get ?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Alex_RO, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER

Oddometer:

If you are capable of tearing down the forks, why dont we just send you a kit to revalve the springs with fluid, seals, bushings, and valving stacks?
  2. Alex_RO

Alex_RO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That can be done ?!?! AWESOME !!!

Let's do the PM dance :D
  3. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Alex,

A lot of this thread is way above my knowledge of how forks REALLY work, however I've been in the same boat as you, so researched this a fair amount.

By all accounts 0.64 springs are as strong as you can go without re-valving the forks. You'll end up with preload about halfway in, and rebound on the max.

0.64 is what I've decided on. I'm 240lbs with kit on the bike, hoping to be less, but that's what it is right now. I ride aggressively, and I always though heavy on the forks, however borrowing other bikes and talking to some suspension tuners it turns out that I'm not actually heavy on the front, I just like to feel what the front wheel is doing, and don't mind a bit of front wheel slip.

Not that this really helps you, but the fact of not needing a revalve tipped the balance for me. As an above post said, air pressure is also a factor; oil level, etc..

I've put an order in for the 0.64's with KTMTwins in the states - as of two days ago they only have 3 remaining sets of 0.64s in stock. They'll order more obviously, but it'll take a month or so.

If you like I am in Miami from 18th Sept to 6th Oct, so can bring some back for you and send them on (ordered mine delivered to Miami). PM me if you like. :D
  4. Sacal

Sacal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Being in europe you should also check out Hyperpro, Ive used them on sportbikes before and they know their stuff...seems looking at their site they have a distributor in Bucuresti and also in Hungary and Bulgaria. Drop them a mail, ive always found them helpful.

http://www.hyperpro.com

The infamous Colebatch also used them for the X-Challenge RTW bike...shhhh I know its not orange!

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11374236&postcount=20
  5. Alex_RO

Alex_RO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Salutare Sacal :)

I know i can get the parts, it's the know-how to make it work as well as possible that's lacking :).

Multumesc, Alex
  6. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would suggest you to buy stronger springs first and see what you can do with the clickers. If not good enough, then experiment with thicker oil. Springs and oil are easy to DIY.
    It might not be perfectionist good, but it will be probably much better than stock and maybe it might be all you want. If not happy, all you will have lost is some time and the price of oil, since springs you have to upgrade anyway.

I had issues with the SE fork valving, which was stupid hard. I did not have the funds to go to a 'tuner' so I asked a local suspension guy to install the 990-R valving and while not perfect, it surely does the job much better (almost perfect) at a small fraction of the cost, since he did not sell tuning expertise, only labor. Maybe thinner oil would have worked just as well, who knows.

I have also ridden an 09 990R with .60 springs and SE valving (essentially SE stock fork setting). I am about 200-220 depending on gear and what was crazy stiff on the SE worked really well on the mighty ninety.
  7. Alex_RO

Alex_RO Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well, the "alternate" shipping method fell through so i'm back to square 1. No SPS. I'll just get the biggest springs that can be fitted without modifications for the time being and i'll get some .70 at a later time...whilst i try to learn as much as possible about suspensions... Who knows, maybe i'll find a suspension tuner hidden away in the neighboring countries.

Thanks everybody! Alex
  8. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I don't consider myself a tuner but I have revalved and serviced many WP 48mm forks.

If Konflict Motorsports or somebody else is willing to share a good shim stack with you (you could at least buy the springs and other parts there), I can put them together for you. I am not exactly around the corner but I can ship a set of forks to Romania for €20 so I assume it's the same the other way around, and we are both in the EU so there are no hassles with import taxes or paperwork.
  9. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just keep in mind that with the 990R valving on stock springs (.60) on my SE, I have both compression and rebound clickers close to max (min preload), so I would assume that this is close to the stiffest spring you can use with stock oil and valving.
  10. VetMXR

VetMXR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So what is the recommended spring rate for a 990 Adventure R with stock valving? I just want to eliminate some of the dive. I've checked Race Tech's website for recommended spring rates, and it list 0.72. Is this correct?

VetMXR
  11. Konflict Motorsports

Oddometer:
    Vetmxr what do you weigh geared up? And how much luggage weight do you carry?
  12. VetMXR

VetMXR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    220lbs fully geared minus luggage. I'm just looking for a ballpark for normal 50/50 riding.

VetMXR
  13. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 240 switch gear and had Superplush do a revolve and I stall .72's it work fantastic! Like a whole new bike on gravel
  14. Konflict Motorsports

Oddometer:
    Pm sent vetmxr...
  15. FuTAnT

FuTAnT KTM 990ADV

Oddometer:
    I know where you are coming from. The traditional train of thought for pretty much all the 950/990 ADV was to put a set of anything from 0.54 to 0.58 kg/mm springs in with a revalve. However, there has been a bit of a shift and experimentation with putting in stiffer springs with alternative valving (putting in 0.58 kg/mm would also require a revalve of course). Think of it as a bit of a different path. I had mine with 0.56 I think, and while it was light and day better than stock, I still feel that it could have been stiffer, with the valving modified to suit to get it to move through the stroke nicely. They carry so much bloody weight over the front end, you can certainly jack up the spring weight.

If you were in the USA/Canada, I'm sure a call to SPS etc would give you an idea on the current train of thought and methodology in getting the most out of the ADV machines.
  16. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    The suspension that I run was installed by Moto Pro Suspension . Phone number 800-277-5089.

My bike is a 2007 ktm 990 adventure with ABS.

With all my gear Iam at 225 pounds.

If you use a 70 front spring it will not take up the square edge bumps. Make sure you get the right spring for the weight of the person plus there gear.

I run a Ultra Max Valving system with a mid valve kit with a 62 front spring and have never had any problems.

http://www.moto-pro.com/
  17. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    Great thread this one.

My 03 950 Adv dives a fair bit under road riding. How can I tell what spring I have ? Is there markings on them ?
    PO dosnt know.

Cheers.
  18. Konflict Motorsports

Oddometer:
    If you provide me with the ID, OD, diameter of wire, and number of active coils I can provide you with the spring rate.
  19. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    Many thanks. It may be a few weeks before I can do it, bit I will.

Cheers.
  20. orange spy

orange spy diddly squat

Oddometer:
    do you guys know of any European site that that carries varius spring rates for our specs?

a shipment from Supersplush will definetely cost me as much as the springs themselves :D

ty for any info

:freaky