Apache/Navajo Camping

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nylon2000, May 14, 2013.

1. nylon2000

nylon2000 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Tried this last night, no one complained, but I really wasn't sure if I should have been there.

I pulled off the highway in Navajo, and followed some dirt roads until no houses were around, rode off a bit, and then set up tent. I didn't pass any signs, cross any fences or gates, just camped on some sand/scrubland.

Some people walked past me and didnt say anything, and a car drove past and stopped and watched me for a while.

I get the feeling that what I did wasn't common.

Anyone know what the rules are? Is all the land private?

Thanks

PS. FWIW, the gas station in Teec No Pos, Apache let people camp out next to their store for free. That's very kind of them, its just not really the "wilderness" that i was looking for.
  2. nylon2000

nylon2000 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    OK, this sort of answers it: http://navajonationparks.org/permits.htm

"Dune buggies, jeeps, 4-wheel drive vehicles and motorcycles are prohibited off established trails and on roads. Unnecessary trails or roads result in erosion to the fragile environment."

> Well i was on roads, other than when I walked off to set up my tent.

"All areas on the Navajo Nation are closed to non-Navajos unless you have a valid camping, hiking or backcountry permit issued by the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department or other duly delegated tribal authority. Failure to have a permit is considered Trespassing on a Federal Indian Reservation."

> Ok, but what about the roads? Dirt roads? I can drive on them, right?

I'm presuming you cant leave roads without a permit, and you can only get permits for certain trails/camp grounds? Does that seem right?

There's no equivalent to a national / state park, where you can camp wild?
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Well that's Navajo Nation and no alliance to the USA so there is no 'equivalent.'

It's their land, it's pretty much all they have left. Nevertheless I'll bet if you asked someone, anyone, you'd be able to camp with permission.

I go to Navajo National Monument out there and the camping is free (donation if you want). It is a camp site though. Just rough camping on Navajo land may be asking for trouble.

They've had enough intrusions and will wonder what is happening, I mean if we all did it the place would hardly be theirs anymore now would it?

I'd say some respect is in order.