Brazil thread

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Linhares, Sep 10, 2010.

1. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, I'll be riding a similar route in March.
    Keep us updated on your travels.

Twist it, Max
  2. BrzGSAdv

BrzGSAdv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is just to say hi and check in!

I am based in Sao Paulo and am looking for peers to ride along in the area. I ride a big tourer and like twisties and long daytrips, not those short ride-to-eat trips that dealers use to organize that start with breakfasts... so its more about eating than actually riding.

Anyone up???

Pessoal?? Ninguem na area querendo rodar? Aparecam!! Abs!!

Best
    Rafa
  3. robram

robram Trilheiro

Oddometer:
    Ok.

I´ll.
  4. porkandcorn

porkandcorn FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer:
    hello! as part of a larger south america trip, i'm riding from montevideo to florianopolis to visit some brazilian friends and celebrate carnival. then after carnival is over (february 12), heading back west toward cordoba, argentina.

need some advice on good motorcycling roads for the following day trips of my journey. also looking for hosts, or people willing to show me around any of these areas or towns.

(1) punta del este - chuy, brazil (border) (1 day - jan 28): is this the best border crossing? would it be open and easy to pass through at the end of a days riding? or should i stay the night on the uruguay side, and cross in the morning?

(2) chuy to porto alegre (1 day - jan 29): planning on just taking the coast all the way, with the ferry crossing at rio grande. anything to see along the way?

porto alegre (feb 29-31): what neighborhood of porto alegre would be the most fun for a single, 36 year-old guy who speaks portugues ok? are you from porto alegre and want to host another ADV rider or to show me around your city?

(3) porto alegre to florianopolis (2 days - feb 01-02): found some great advice for this day at this thread: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/south-america/southern-brazil-advice-trip-reports-67176. my route: Porto Alegre to Florianoplis, Brazil - Google Maps. let me know if you would change anything, and where to stay overnight mid-way.

(4) florianopolis/balneario camburio/carnival: are you from floripa and want to meet up or get a beer/chopp? should i remain in floripa for carnival or are there better celebrations in nearby cities? what else is going on in floripa at that time? i'm also visiting friends in balneario camburio - let me know if anyone wants to meet up there.

(5) florianopolis to cordoba, argentina (4 days?? - feb 13-16): what route and through which cities should i travel? at which cities should i spend the nights and do you know of any good hotels/hostels or want to host me? what is there to see on the way? (i have already seen iguazu falls.) how many 5-6 hour days should i plan on?

thank you so much!!!

eu falo portogues tambem, porque eu vivou em floripa por um ano em 2002.

here is my trip preparation blog, which will become my ride report:
    www.porkandcorn.com

here's my approximate schedule for the first 2 months (aquí está mi horario aproximado para las primeras 2 meses):

part - santiago, chile to cordoba, argentina (6 weeks):
    jan 06-10: santiago, chile
    jan 10: santiago to playa renaca
    jan 10-13: playa renaca/vina del mar
    jan 14-15: valparaiso
    jan 15: valparaiso to mendoza, argentina
    jan 16: mendoza to laboulaye
    jan 17: laboulaye to buenos aires
    jan 17-23: buenos aires
    jan 24: (ferry) buenos aires to montevideo, uruguay
    jan 24-25: montevideo
    jan 25-27: punta del este
    jan 28: punta del este to chuy, brazil
    jan 29: chuy to porto alegre
    jan 29-31: porto alegre
    feb 01: porto alegre to sao jose dos ausentes
    feb 02: sao jose dos ausentes to florianopolis
    feb 02-12: florianopolis/balneario camburio (carnival!)
    feb 13: florianopolis to passo fundo
    feb 14: passo fundo to uruguaiana
    feb 15: uruguaiana to parana/santa fe, argentina
    feb 16: parana/santa fe to cordoba
    feb 17-18: cordoba, argentina

part 2 - cordoba, argentina to santa cruz, bolivia (2 weeks):
    feb 19: cordoba to aimogasta, argentina
    feb 20: aimogasta to paso san francisco
    feb 21: paso san francisco to bahía inglesa, chile
    feb 22-23: bahía inglesa, chile
    feb 24: bahía inglesa, chile to pan de azuacar national park
    feb 25: pan de azuacar national park to antofagasta
    feb 26: antofagasta, chile to san pedro de atacama
    feb 26-27: san pedro de atacama
    feb 28: san pedro de atacamo to…...

thanks!!!!
  5. BrzGSAdv

BrzGSAdv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The advice on the link you provided is just great.

Getting from there I would not miss Serra do Rio do Rastro (google image it and yyou will see) one ofnthe 10 most beautiful roads in the world according to an online rider survey (you can google for tha link also).

If you change your mind and head north towards Sao Paulo or Rio do let me know. BTW going back to that post if you do Sao Paulo to Rio make sure to use the coast, not the BR1166 highway! Why? Google image for Angra dos Reis or Paraty and you have an answer besides 116 = trucks, trucks,mand more trucks!

Do let me know if you need more help!
  6. porkandcorn

porkandcorn FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer:
    I would love to come north of florianopolis, but i've already been that direction in the past, and only have 4 months to cover a lot of countries. not enough time!! thanks for letting me know i'm on the right path. hopefully some more people will post about the best route from florianopolis to cordoba and the best cities or places to stay over night in.
  7. Rods

Rods bikers help desk

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

To those coming to Iguazu, border with Paraguay and Argentina to see the Iguassu Falls or a tyre in Paraguay or even just coming for a cold beer with locals, I can offer my help and a friend of mine settled a hostel specially for bikers, the place has a good space to work and park the bikes, the place is called "iguasu motorcycle travellers hostel" and for sure is a good option to get in touch with bikers and get information about the SA.

Any questions please get in touch through www.bikershelpdesk.blogspot.com

Rod
  8. Sandino

Sandino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds great mate, will visit and suggest to people stopping by Paraguay.
    Cheers :freaky
  9. ddpemberton

ddpemberton n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in Brasilia and just got my Tornado 250 up and trail ready. Been on some of the trails nearby, but looking for more folks to ride with. Anyone around and want to head out for a trail day?
  10. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone in the Rio area willing to help a rider + his GF from Canada who are arriving in RIO February 9th for Carnaval for 5 days and really needs a place to stay.

Know it is short notice, but he is a great guy and would really appreciate the help!
  11. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK so I made it through the BR319 in the dry season last year but now I am thinking of trying my luck again but this time in the rainy season. The BR319 is considerd a harder ride than the BR230 in the dry . Can the same be said in the rainy season ??? I think the BR230 might be harder going with all the trucks smashing it up the last few months in the rains but at the same time the is more chance of help if things get a bit out of hand so to speek . What do you guys think of riding out here at this time of year ? opinions please :ear:ear
  12. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You back in England? Planning the next ride?
  13. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi I am in Chile now but need to get a move on then start heading north back to Suriname. Unless I can talk gremaldi lines into letting me get my bike off in Dakar to ride home .
  14. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Basically, I say you're a nut, David.

...and for that reason I think you should try it.
  15. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HAHA how are you these days mate ?
  16. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a though if any one has been out this way . How often are the rains on average ? I mean if I get bogged down to bad is it worth setting up camp and waiting a day for things to dry out a bit or is it just time to get digging and pushing ?
  17. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not bad. Getting fat on tacos. Doing the BR319 in the rainy season would be tough. The muddy rutted roads would be difficult and slow going, but I think your biggest problem would be the bridges. They rebuild a lot of those bridges every year for the dry season and let them wash out in the rainy season. I think your biggest issue would be hitting a washed out bridge over a river that you just can't cross without a canoe and then not having enough gas to back-track leaving you "up shit creek without a paddle." Also, if you're missing even one bridge there will be zero vehicle traffic to get you out of trouble. There's also the possibility of long sections of road being completely flooded. I vote that you make some inflatable pontoons. Bonus points will be awarded for either tyrolean traverse of the bike over water or full disassembly of the bike down to major components, portaging it piece by piece and reassembly on the opposite bank.
  18. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd go for, just take a water purifier for the long walk if you have to, some rope and little folding shovel not a bad idea either along with the required machete:lol3

What's the worst that could happen...
  19. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I already have 2 machete's with me .:D
    ones a nice big new one a nice peruvian girl gave me. Maybe she knows somthing I dont
  20. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    even in the dry the were verry few people out there on the BR319 . maybe the BR230 might be a better option as the are more vilages on route if I need to wait it out for the dry season :wink: