How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    I wish I'd known about this before I went through ITS for my EX500. I bought it without a title and they charged about $150 or so in 2009 for bikes over 15 years old. I'm not sure what Indiana's laws are on riding on out-of-state plates, but I rode on the Maine plates until the expired in 2010 and was never hassled.
  2. D0N

D0N Banned

Oddometer:
    ITS is expensive! They do the bonded title thing. They wanted $255 from me to title my 1984 cycle. I ended up doing it myself through Vermont for $89. :clap

It would have been much less but I was honest on the amount that I paid for the bike! :huh :puke1

The 6% VT state sales tax on the $800 purchase price ended up costing me more than the registration fees did.

It's almost 9% state sales tax here in NY so I don't feel too bad. I could have just as easily told VT that I paid $200 for the bike instead of $800 and saved myself about $35-$40. :deal

taxes suck
  3. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    It's worth pointing out again that this is only workable for vehicles older than 15 years.

Even in the enlightened state of VT, there's no way to get a title for a newer vehicle.

I can see where VT would be happy to collect the cash from out-of-staters, so I suspect they'll leave this loophole open for as long as they can.

BUT: has anyone successfully gotten a home state title and plate after doing this? I would, for example, be very interested to find out what the draconian shrews down at the Indiana BMV would do with a Vermont registration... they're well known to have no mercy here whatsoever.
  4. D0N

D0N Banned

Oddometer:

Have you actually tried or are you just poo-pooing the idea?

I realize what you've read may say we don't title bikes newer than 1996 and larger than 300cc's but try it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Like I said above, they will not cash your check if they can't help you. You will get the check back in the mail.
  5. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:

I'm just going by what is stated on the Vermont DMV web site. Hell, I've never even been to Vermont. :D
  6. captain pabst

captain pabst b00n

Oddometer:
    i will confirm this works, just got a plate for my 1997 kawasaki kx250
  7. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. I have no doubt that i can get a VT plate, but wondering if i can get a Indiana title. (all my shit is titled/plated in indiana, not ohio.)

I got a mint CB200 with no title, for free. If i can start riding it around for 89 bucks, I'm in. Worst case i'll just keep renewing VT plates.
  8. leejosepho

leejosepho Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer:
    They might claim they had never even heard of Vermont and then offer a reminder, "This is Indiana." I used to live there, and I am absolutely convinced those people take classes where they are continually taught their never-ending ways to make people have to go get another piece of paper or whatever and then come back another day.
  9. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Don't forget that there are some states that do not issue titles for vehicles over a certain age. I believe New Hampshire and Rhode Island are amoungst that group. I bought a 1986 Honda Reflex (TLR200) when I lived in Connecticut (early 90s). The bike was from New Hampshire. When I moved to Illinois, I was able to register and title the bike, in IL, without issue (no NH title). More recently, I bought a 1989 Honda NX125 that was registered in Rhode Island. Again, I was able to register and title the NX, in IL, without a RI title.

I'm not saying that going thru the VT DMV is a waste of time. I'm just saying that for some motorcycles, not having a title is not a major cause for concern.
  10. scratchdesk

scratchdesk n00b

Oddometer:
    Hiya Bronco, I was wondering if I could ask you a few things about how you got your older biked titled. I also live in IL and have been getting the run around on getting my old Honda C110 titled. My email is scratchdesk (at) gmail.com else you could shoot me a message here. Thank you sir.
  11. captainsin

captainsin n00b

Oddometer:
    Another satisfied Vermont DMV customer! Thx green mountain state! Enjoy the revenue!
  12. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    This bears looking into for me- I bought a 1975 DT175 last fall that has no title, and to get it legal in AK I would have to do the bonded title thing- BUT the AK DMV won't touch it if the value of the bike is under $500. I paid all of $200 for the 'lil bike and if I can register it in VT and then transfer ownership and title to Ak that would be a lot easier than having it appraised and bonded.

[​IMG]
  13. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    You'll never be able to title that thing. I can take it off your hands as a courtesy; just let me know where to pick it up :evil

Seriously, though, that'll be a piece of cake through Vermont: send in the form with a bill of sale and a check, and a plate will magically appear in your mailbox a week or two later.

It's under 300cc, so it could be a 2012 for all they care--no title required. Alaska should title it based on your Vermont registration, though they might need to be reminded that Vermont doesn't title <300cc bikes. I always had to remind Colorado, but it was never a problem once the clerk looked in the big book behind the counters.

14. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neat!

Then all I have to do is finish restoring it and making it road worthy again...
  15. ducwad

ducwad Livin' the dash

Oddometer:
    I have purchased and not immediately registered at least 3 motorcycles in WA. These were 'collectibles' destined only for the garage. When I went to register them 3-5 yrs later, to get a title so I could sell them, I did not have to pay a fine. The DOL offices are privately operated and at least the one I use has never bothered me about it.
  16. Kdog22

Kdog22 Sammich eater

Oddometer:
    Thread bump.

Just came accross this thread during some heavy internet searching and brought me here. I'm glad i found this info.

As someone else had asked, have any of you guys done this and transferred the registration to their own state? You still don't get a title do you? It's just a proof of ownership/ plates kind of thing?

Thanks
  17. NVFireFighter

NVFireFighter Load and Return.....

Oddometer:
    I just did this with a 1975 CT110....worked like a charm,no questions asked.

The state your looking to title it in HAS to follow the Vermont registration rules. Vermont uses the above mentioned method on older than 15 and under 300cc's rule which whatever state your trying to use must follow. If your state requires a title,mine is Nevada and they do,the state will issue you a new(insert state here) title based on the Vermont reg.

The DMV here knows the deal and are good with it.
    PaydayGabe likes this.
  18. Axel

Axel n00b

Oddometer:
    bike is not yet running and has had all lights and instruments removed by past owners.
    also, the past few owners have bought and sold it without the title for use as a dirt-bike in NY state.
    includes a handwritten, signed, and dated bill of sale from most recent untitled owner.

there is a mileage space on the form(but there is no odometer)?
    pick up a used odometer or leave blank?
    or wait to register once fully refurbished and road worthy (may be a while as many other projects demand attention) ?
    :dllama
  19. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried this yet. Indiana has a few different ways one can claim title, which I think takes a lot of time and paperwork. (Trying to ting last known owner and aquire the title before retitling to me.)

I haven't looked into Vermont yet, my bike is a 76 750. I'm a little confused reading this threadif it has to both 15 years old and under 300 cc's.
  20. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

My son inlaw is an investigator for the Texas Highway Patrol, gets involved in auto theft cases that cross a lot of county lines. I was discussing this with him the other day because I found a little CT 90 with no title but a bill of sale. I asked about the places that title it when you transfer ownership. He said in Texas it is considered illegal, washing the title was his term. He said you are supposed to bond around it. I have no idea what bonding cost and havent looked any further yet. I think he told me you only had to hold the bond for two years. Doesnt mean people dont do it and come out fine, just relaying a conversation.