test rode 990 - bad engine?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by olly, Jul 28, 2007.

1. olly

olly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently ride a ZX6R ninja - '99 model.
    It's a good bike and comofrtable up to a point but can't carry much lugagge or a pillion and struggles on bad surfaces of course.
    Soo.....easy ...get a KTM....or so I thought.
    Just test rode one today and really wanted to go away serioulsy impressed - I wasn't :( - am I doing something wrong?

Good things -
    • been up high
    • nice suspension
    • rolls nicely into, and especially out ofcorners
    • brakes when you give them a proper squeeze
    Bad things -
    • engine buzz through bars - does it make cause numbness?
    • Arm position, I had to consciously hold my arms up onto the bars to overcome the weight of heavy leathers, expect I'd get used to it though
    • engine smoothness, it's hard to keep a constant engine revs especially when you change down and sit behind a car ready to overtake. maybe it can be down to my lack of deft throttle control but either way it wasn't impressive
    What should I do folks - are they all like that?
  2. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Keep your old Ninja and stick to the street!
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you ridden big sporting twins before? If not, you're probably just reacting to the contrast to inline-fours. The twins seem rough and agricultural, but they are strong in many areas. And the engine vibration, while higher amplitude, is lower frequency which is generally a lot less annoying than 4-cyl buzz.

And is your 6R carb'ed? The new FI systems, generally for emissions reasons, have a tendency towards being more snatchy. It can be tuned out without too much effort or many riders just adjust to it. Again, it's what you're used to.

- Mark
  4. petesonhisway

petesonhisway Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert on 4-cyl sports bikes -never owned one, but it seems your bad points could well be due to your being unused to the riding position and a twin cyl engine. The bars are easily adjustable (and exendable) and this LC8 engine is so sweet!

It's just my opinion, but if i were you I'd put those issues down to culture shock, and give it another go - perhaps on a longer test ride.

pete
  5. Pressurized

Pressurized Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  6. mutt2jeff

mutt2jeff Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer:
    Also, if it was a new bike, then the engine had not completed it break in. The way my 950 felt when I put the first 5 miles on it and the way it feels today are very different.
  7. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most LC8 riders come from thumpers and find the twin smooooth. The bars on my 990 don't vibrate, and the mirrors are very steady. Bike you rode may need a throttle sync.

Coming from dirt bike ergos we also like high (and wide) bars. Most of us even add risers for better positioning when standing.
    I think you'll get used to the the more upright position and may end up liking it more.

FI mapping on the 990 can give a somewhat abrupt throttle. Mine was fine for street riding, but a G2 throttle with a "slower" (more progressive) cam helps for more technical dirt riding.

Take another ride ... maybe try another 990.
  8. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I came off a GSXR1000 and found the 950 to be as stated agricultural in nature. Now that I have ridden it for a year and a half I like it much better. It is a vibrater compared to my GSXR but I had an LC4 640 at the time I had the GSXR so I was not bothered by vibrations so much. I also noticed the 950 did not- repeat did not have as much low end torque as the 1000 although most people think because it was a twin it should have more. I think the FI on the Suzuki was the difference. It just pulled smoothly no matter where you opened up at while the 950 chugs at low rpms. I think you will get used to the vibes since they are a different harmonic than a four cylinder. When 4's vibrate they tend to put your hand to sleep. Another thing I noticed about the 950 is the tendancy to feel used now that Iv'e got some miles on hte motor. The GSXR felt like new tight when I traded it off with 15K on the odo. The twin just makes more running noises than a tight Japanese four.
  9. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    The motor on the LC8 isn't that brilliant. It's only this way if you've never ridden a modern Japanese twin. It also vibes more than some twins. It's not as smooth as the TL1000/DL1000 motor and doesn't make as much power. Ditto for the RC51. Vibes are a little more than my VTR1000. Clearly compared to my LC4, it's as smooth as silk, but compared to a modern I4 it's vibey.
  10. -jb-

-jb- Ignorant Squid

Oddometer:
    Probably did. You went in expecting something the bike is not. For one, it's not an I4 engine. It delivers power very differently (and better, imho).

Yep. Gotta agree. I rode the 990 for the first time the other day. The bike just felt nicely snappy and responsive, along with very planted.

In order:
    1. The buzz only really felt noticable around 5.5-6.2k RPM. It went away if I changed gears.
    2. Adjust the bars downward for your tastes. KTM is a dirt bike company first, and so the bikes tend to be good for adjustment around different sized riders.
    3. I noticed the same thing. When I discussed it with my Rep, he suggested 3 little things: different exhaust, remap of the EFI, and possibly a PCIII. None, though, are required.

The issues you point out are all fairly minor, and all fixable. Just remember that it's likely the LC8 engine produces less horsepower than the 600cc I4 engine you're used to. You can also just run 1 gear over what you think you'd need to use. Try 2nd in place of first once you're rolling, etc.

After being on the Adventure 990 for 30 minutes, my worries around the bike vanished. It's likely one of my favorite bikes I've ever tested.
  11. -jb-

-jb- Ignorant Squid

Oddometer:
    The LC8 engine weighs less than any of the other twins you listed. Less mass to absorb the vibration, less mass in any counter-balancers...

I might as well compare the LC8 to my Rotax 60 deg 998 and complain about the vibrations...
  12. Pressurized

Pressurized Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both the TL and the RC51 are 90deg Vs. So are Ducatis. These have perfect primary balance. The LC8 is 75deg V so it doesn't have good natural balance. They put a balancer shaft on it but there'll still be some roughness. Another bike to compare it to would be an Aprillia V-twin.
  13. KTM muppet

KTM muppet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    not as smooth or powerful as my mille factory... but then I never expected it to be.

compare it to a GS... now there's a rough old diesel with a dodgy gearbox!:D
  14. olly

olly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for all replies guys.
    ok so the lurchy throttle is a fault and one that people are trying all sorts to iron out from throttle cams to exhausts and remaps. not very impressive on 9K GBP bike.
    A friend has one that's got Akropovics on it so I'll see if he'll let me try his out.
    I think I would get use to the vibration pretty quick - it felt strangely comforting after the initial dislike wore off a bit.
    On paper it's supposed to have the same power as my ZX6R so I was expecting it to be as fast - which of course it's not :( that's not the end of the world though as one of the reasons for getting adventure style bike is to slow me down.

Please don't think I'm knocking the bike a lot of you love, it's just I don't think it's quite the finished article and want to buy the right bike - an 990 my still be it
  15. 950TRANSALP

950TRANSALP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Install a 16 tooth sprocket , ride it 4 to 6k then adjust the valves.
    You'll understand !

Ohmmmmmmmm.....:norton
  16. Bwana

Bwana Me Bwana You Toto

Oddometer:
    If you think the 990's throttle is bad, try a 1200 GS. The one I had would buck so bad, it felt as if I were on a bronco (untamed horse to you Brits). I was able to control the 990 throttle after a while. The GS would keep going like a bad dream. Go to Gspot and do a search, better yet test ride one.

I had a K1200GT and a Honda St1100. Both bikes vibrated to the point where my hands were numb. I like twins much better and the 990 best of all. Test ride a BMW and a Harley, then ride the 990 again. It'll probably change your opinion.

Just my humble opinion.