35W vs 55W HID in a F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Astolfo, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    I was told by Les at HID50.com that the 50Watt will burn the optics any one out there with 55w for longer than a couple of months with them?
    TIA
  2. mischief

mischief misadventurer

Oddometer:
    I put 2000 miles on mine last week, looks ok to me :clap
    The hid bulbs also flash momentarily then go back off, warm up and come on.

[​IMG]
    IMAG0511 by mischief64124, on Flickr
  3. -W-

-W- Flying Finn

Oddometer:
    50 000 km with 55w HID without problems..
  4. bluesurf

bluesurf en dos ruedas

Oddometer:
    55w are fine, and they_will burn the cagers in front of you.
  5. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    The headlight don't have optics, its just a piece of glass (or plastic). Optics would be something that focuses the light.

I have heard reports of the 50watt ones not starting in the High beam position because the start current exceeds the current allowed by the computer and it shuts off the circuit.

I only have a 35W in the Low beam. Never got around to the High beam side. Believe me, you will be more then happy with the 35w HID. Plus it saves 20w for something else.
  6. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    Do not need the 20W. I need LIGHT for my night trips
  7. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    Race Tech 8" HID will do the trick.
    Might be a little more difficult of an install though. :evil

[​IMG]n
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    As with soooo many things.... It underscores that the response you get from a dealer..... Not just BMW.....but any retail store..... It their opinion is biased. They say what they want....and not necessarily what is the case. A few members here are the exception... Joel being one of them.... But in reality whatever the matter...listen to the forum for it's real life feedback. It is second to none....and most likely true...and not based on what a salesman tells you. Now regarding the HID... I have the 35 watt high and low beam from 1offmotorsports..... No issues..... But have tinkered with a few 55 watt units.... and measured the same exact drive power consumption. Both using between 3-4 amps. Not even sure there are any difference... all in all.. so much stuff coming from China....etc..... IMHO..... what kills the reflector...it the UV rays and that's is where I think the hid elements differ. Some emitting more than others..... If the reflector can handle 35 watt at one inch distance....it will also handle 55 watts...IMHO. UV.....different story. So I think you rather than wattage..... look for a brand that others have run with success.... That is why I chose 1offmotorsports....... and have now run it for about a year....in the blistering hot desert southwest....with no issues......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  9. SilverBike

SilverBike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    35w did not work on the high beam of my twin, exchanged them for 55w (both low & high). Still good after a year (daily use) and more than 15k miles. The ballasts are life-time warranty.

Yes, they burned the covers (glass/plastic), but no difference (can't see) when they're on.
  10. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    FWIW

I would use LED, as much light, similar color temp, less power, much more reliable. This LED technology is coming on fast.

The problem single High power (20w+) LED are expensive. (note a 10W LED will give about the same lumens as a 55W HID) So to keep the cost down multiple cheap LEDs are used in each light. LEDs need a lens for focus light vs reflector of conventional lights. Sellers of multiple LEDs lights don't do this well yet so they sell broad relatively uncontrolled flood lights to day. will change soon.

But if you need a pencil beam/driving light today...HID is the most cost effective solution.

But in the long run LEDs will make conventional lights and HID obsolete. LeMans racers and Aircraft are using LED now...but very pricy.
  11. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    Where do I get it from, for the Aux lights i would tend to agree, but I own a pair of 8" Fuego HIDs from Baja that are just incredible.

Now I need to try to fix my LAMP warning and no HI or LOW beam! I tried to reset the canbus by disconnecting the battery for over 3-4 hours and still NOTHING.
    now i am blind as bat untill I fix this!
  12. AK_ADV

AK_ADV F800GS

Oddometer:
    I have the 55w kit for High and Low from 1offmotorsports. They are awesome as for brightness goes. I road Florida to Alaska in about 8 days in 2010 before getting sent overseas and the light output was amazing. It lit up the entire road. The high give you a good distance and the low give enough spread to light up the ditches enough for me to be comfortable to cruse are 65-70 at night.

I didn't notice any burning of the lens or reflector, only thing was I had a cracked lens from the Alaska Highway in the Yukon. The light output is about the same as Lost Rider's HID pic above but cant tell the distance as there is a hill in front.

The only main issue I had with the set up was when I turn on the High beam it would re-flash the speedo and warning lights which is probably because it is overloading the can-bus, at least from what I know. The other small issue I had was I had the low beam burn out at night in the middle of the Yukon. Luckily I was carrying a spare standard bulb.

Other than that I love them. I did have my dad order new parts so not sure if the can-bus failure is still happening. He only rides the bike during the day so probably hasn't had a chance to test.