New Zealand late 2013(/early 2014)

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by Tagger, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Tagger

Tagger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am starting to research the idea of going to New Zealand at the end of this year (comming from Belgium). Offcourse i want to do this by bike.

At this point i am leaning towards buying a bike over there. I would try and find a job (i work in a freelance driven environment so hopefully i can land a job before i go there) for a couple of weeks/months and in the meantime take my time to look around for a (cheap) bike, get it enlisted etc. After my work period i would drive around the country and try and sell it afterwards (if i don't find an individual buyer, probably at a dealer?)

Other then that I see two options.

Ship my bike over: Seems to me that the price of buying and selling a secondhand bike will put less(?) of a dent in my pocket compared to the shipping of the bike.

Rent a bike: the prices get very expensive if i want to rent one for, let's say, more than a month. So it doesn't seem worth it. + i want to travel with my bike, but i also want to do siteseeing, take part in none-motorcycle activities and leaving a bike on a parkinglot at x dollar/day would be stupid.

So, my questions are. Does this train of tought seem stupid or am i missing a big part of the puzzle? Any people who did a similar thing in NZ? Any people from NZ who are willing to help me with providing information on the practical side of things?

and o yea, what are the MUST SEE places to visit according to you? ;)

These are just the first stages of planning, so everything is still open for change.

Thanks !
  2. Crash99

Crash99 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Tagger!

Sounds like a practical plan re getting a bike, work etc (you've checked out the work visa situation I guess?) Selling the bike at the end of the trip - unless you get a lower mileage, popular bike you might find that dealers wont want to take it - or at least for what you might call a reasonable price! :eek1
    Renting is quite expensive - I have a friend who comes over from Australia once a year and he always rents so there are good options available if thats what you decide. It certainly solves the problem of buy/sell. I'd say perhaps rent one for one or two trips (see below) so you dont have the down time while you do other things. All depends on how much riding you'll be doing vs the total time you'll be here.
    Now to the good bit - places to go!! The South Island is THE riding experience in NZ in my and many other riders opinions. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of great roads in the North Island - its just that whatever you do, dont miss the South Island.
    As for Must See places - (I'm only talking road bikes here, by the way - you dont say if its road only or dual purpose)
    North Is: you can easily do a loop around the whole of the NI in 8 - 10 days. Some days will be longer than others of course, but a good plan is go around the coast in most places, and include a trip inland to Taupo, probably from New Plymouth would be a good day run. There is a road on this route called the Forgotten Highway which is a great ride, twisty and a bit challenging on a big bike.
    South Is: again around the outside from top to bottom and back is all awesome. 8 - 10 days will be comfortable. Dont miss Westport to Greymouth, then down the West Coast and through Haast Pass. Can be very wet down there - they get several metres of rain each year :D. Wanaka, Te Anau, Milford - all must do's. Cut back inland from down south and come through Tekapo, Fairlie - absolutely stunning scenario - and even take a detour up towards Mt Cook if the weather is good. Oops - I've missed out Arthurs' Pass which cuts across E-W in the middle of the SI - a great ride, easily achieved one way in a day, then back the next.
    You'll find most roads reasonable, well signposted, however very few are more than a single lane each way outside of the main cities. But then traffic is pretty light too, certainly by European standards!

Hope that helps! Now go and book your tickets :clap

Cheers
    David
  3. ozark-nzrider

ozark-nzrider bob1002

Oddometer:
    :freakySome of this information is a little out of date because this happened in 2004. As I didn't have much luck with finding the right sort of bike when looking on line I ended up shipping my bike over. I advise you to take a look at Trade Me (NZ equivalent to Ebay) about finding availability of used motorcycles. You won't regret an extended m/c trip there. I ended up staying 7 years and getting married to a Kiwi girl. If you are really into M/c riding the previous reply as the South Island being a spectacular place to see and visit is right on the money. But for all around riding and living the North Island is great. There is a reasonable motorcycle/car rental location in Hamilton, the centre of the North Island called Waikato Car Rental Ltd, www.WaikatoCarRentals.co.nz ask for Murray. Tell him Bob recommended from the US. We used to do some Sunday riding with him. We are now living in the Ozarks in the US but if you have any additional questions get in touch.
  4. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    You are going to love NZ. It's been 10 years already since we spent 3 weeks there riding around the South Island.

Either have the job all lined up and documentation in hand proving it OR SAY NOTHING about looking for work to Customs.
    Many foriegn countries do not want folks visiting for the intent of taking native jobs so if you say you're looking for work or do not have suffecient funds to support yourself they may just deny you entry and send you home.:eek1

These New Zealanders are on a RTW trip and might have suggestions for you.
    http://www.twomotokiwis.com/

Have you joined Horizions Unlimited?
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Safe Travels
  5. Tagger

Tagger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, guys !

One of the reasons i really want to do it this year is because one of the visa's is a "work/travel" visa, which is only applicable when you're under 30. Since i turn 29 this year this will be the last time i can apply for that so i will look into that.

Could you maybe ask your friend for some advice for me ? ;)

the wettest i can compaire it with was my trip to scotland this summer, so if it's like that (flip flopping between rainy days and nice weather all the time) i'll manage :p
  6. Tagger

Tagger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like i said, nothing about my planning is set in stone yet :p
  7. Tagger

Tagger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, offcourse it's not my intention to "take native jobs", I like the experience of working abroad and will have sufficient funds to provide for my trip even if the whole "work" thing doesn't work out (it will just end up beeing a shorter trip then ...). In my industry (film/tv) there are a lot of international freelancers working there right now and with peter jackson shitting out a movie every year, i'm sure there's plenty of work for NZ artists as well :p

But the trip is my first objective, the work is an oppertunity (see above post about the visa).
  8. nzrian

nzrian Ugly as sin

Oddometer:
  9. Tagger

Tagger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice, i started a thread on that forum as well, very helpfull people so far ! :)
  10. GPS MAN

GPS MAN Lost!

Oddometer:
    Should you need some help or want an overnight say in the Central Hawkes Bay region of New Zealand...give me a PM...

Good luck on your adventure...
  11. ShaneBaby

ShaneBaby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Coromandel Loop, Milford Sound, Burt Munroe rally, Street racing Paeroa/Greymouth/Wanaganui, Walk the Hollyford track, Cathedral Cove/Hot water beach, the queentown Wanaka region, West coast Auckland Beaches were the highlights of my 30 yrs in NZ, Just saying .... enjoy. I hope you love NZ as much as I did Belgium. I just left there, Kiwibiker used to be awesome I hope you find the remaining good folk fighting the good fight, Peace