France to Gambia

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by PHILinFRANCE, Nov 30, 2012.

1. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    Started planning my trip from France to Gambia in 2014 ........ok it's a while off but the wife says i've got to finnish the house first

So , i'm after as much info as poss please

Plan is

France / Spain / Portugal / Morocco / Western Sahara / Mauritainia / Senagal / Gambia and back

Cheers Phil
  2. RaiderRed

RaiderRed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been in Dakar for the past six months. If you have any Senegal specific questions I can certainly try and answer them. Traffic is *fun* in the city........once out of Dakar it isn't too terrible. If you are here during the rainy season then there is a good chance some roads may be impassable. Feel free to hit me up anytime!
  3. Bodwick

Bodwick Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    Hi Raider,

I've travelled many times from Gambia across Senegal and into Mauritania for the Dakar Rallye. I also own a bar in Gambia up at Janjangbureh/Georgetown should you be going that far I'll pass you details and buy you a drink on arrival.

I can advise you to cross into Senegal from Mauritania not at Rosso but at Diama. Doing this will save you untold hassle.

Mauritania, I wouldn't travel inland towards Atar or Kiffa. It's just not safe. Nouakchott is a dust bowl but has hotels and food. Did I mention the food in Mauri is terrible!

Dakar is a laugh and not to be missed.

Gambia is small and easy going.

Watch your speed through any village area.

Have fun...

:freaky
  4. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers guys
    What with the latest news in Mali my riding buddy is showing a little concern :deal he reads to much :deal myself i like a little uncertainty , also looking to push on to Guinea Bissua and Guinea.
    Whats the name of your bar Bodwik ? , love to catch up in person and down a few cold ones

Phil
  5. RaiderRed

RaiderRed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bodwick,
    I'll have to take you up on a visit to your bar. I'm hoping to head south and visit the Gambia in the near future!

Phil,
    I have spent several weeks in Bissau and am down there every quarter or so. I love the town and would suggest checking it out. The hotel Azalai is nice a
    (actually an old officer's barracks made into a great hotel) and the bike would be safe. The hotel Coimbra is very nice and downtown right next to the port and the restaurants......but it would be street parking for your moto.
  6. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers RR:freaky, still a year off but will keep in touch , look forward to meeting in person
    Phil
  7. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Phil are you taking the DR?
  8. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. shan

shan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's will never happen if you do not stop work and get out
    more on it :rofl

Looks to new !!

how you doing dad :1drink
  10. Fufo

Fufo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Phil,

the trip will be fun and not hard, now you have phone coverage and Gas station at least every 250 km, and then you can find fuel, food and water! I just did it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeOQ6wYqqRI not from Gambia but from Sierra Leone.:1drink

Juest an advice, prepare a lot of fiches fo Wester Sahara and Marocco, with your name, your data, were do you go and were do you come and the passport number and moto plate...at least you will need 20 of them! if not you will have to fill it on a piece of paper!
  11. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi and thank Fufo
    Can, t get the vid working though
    Phil
  12. Todd34

Todd34 Toubab

Oddometer:
    Same here; no video.
  13. Fufo

Fufo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MMM, it looks like for some copyright issues the video cannot be seen in some countries...:huh

I've updated the link and the permission http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeOQ6wYqqRI hope by clikking there it will work? It should work tho!
  14. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep got this time :clap great vid and love the fact that you did the trip on a little Chineese bike :freaky
    Love the refueling in the wind :rofl

Did you bother with any carnets ? reason i ask is there's a few different views on this , some do, some don't and just sort it at the boarders !!!

Still in two minds wheather to go on the New Tenere or stick with my trusty 1996 DR650

Cheers Phil
  15. Fufo

Fufo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW, both bike are great, you should stick to the DR!

I'm glad you liked the video, yes refueling on the desert with the wind...was something I didn't think about it!

I had no carnet and no international driving license, only the insurance, the lifecard of the moto and my national driving licence (Italian). In Morocco they were surprise it was handwritten (the life card was made in Sierra Leone) and in Mauritania they just write on my passport, otherwise I had no problems at the borders.

Enjoy your ride!
  16. jestragon

jestragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Till recently W & Central Africa, now Holland
    Anybody heading to Guinea-Bissau, get in touch with me! I've lived here for 3.5 years, in the interior, close to the Guinea-Conakry border, and there's some really nice riding to be done in my area (savannah landscape, 3000 km2 sector, no tarred roads). i'm generally not online, only when in Bissau itself a couple of days a month, but if anyone wants my mobile nr, drop me a PM!

Also, for accommodation in Bissau on a slightly smaller budget, try Pensao Creola: cosy, center of town.

Personally, I much prefer G-Bissau to Gambia or large parts of Senegal, friendlier and less spoilt by tourism, but ymmv.

Bodwick, I was in Georgetown last year, shame I didn't know about your bar then.
    Red raider, definitely drop me a line when you're down here next.
  17. Bodwick

Bodwick Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    Hi Jestragon,

I'll drop you a PM of my details.

I've been meaning to head down your way to try the fishing for years now. It would be good to do some miles with you if I can arrange it.

I'll be in touch...

:freaky
  18. jestragon

jestragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Till recently W & Central Africa, now Holland
    Hey Bod,

Cool, let me know as far in advance as possible if you head down so I can schedule my research around it (it=:freaky), I'll PM you my local phone nrs too. My boss heads down from Holland 5x a year, which often messes up plans...

I've heard the fishing in the Bijagos is amazing, but unfortunately I'm a poor bastard stuck in the bush and have only made it to the islands once.

I've put up two pic-heavy threads: one with the local riding in my area and one with a trip to Senegal's Niokola-Koba park.